buzzards

lurchers

I agree with you jasper, on some shoots they cause very little damage and what they do is perfectly acceptable. However on others its a different story...

My post certainly wasn't aimed at you BH :thumbs: . and I 100% agree they do and will take Gamebirds mate.

they put down a average of 15,000 Pheasants on this estate and a few thousand Partridge, there are Buzzards everywhere as I'm sure Millet can back me up on, I see them regular ringing round and round and never seen one yet take a Gamebird although I'm sure some poults get taken now and again.

there's a large meadow on the Esatate which you can only descibe as Watership down, its bunny city! this is the area where the Buzzards are most concentrated, there's a fair few bunny's with Mixy which I'm sure the Buzzards have been clearing up.

There's a large pen within a 100yds of My aviaries! when the poults are released my Garden is full of them everywhere, they even come into the feeders for the chickens. I have to say hand on heart I'm yet to see a Buzzard take one, I've seen a good few fox's about here which also took my Melanistic Pheasants :censored: but they end up being get cleared up in the end :thumbs:.

Jasp

Nope cant keep away from it.........i tried!!!.... :wallbash:

In both your posts Jasper you indicate that Buzzards dont take that many poults......wrong!! They do! A Buzzard will take 1, 2 maybe even 3 a day if it feels like it, they also have young birds that learn very quickly that a poult is easy meat. Now a quick calculation and lets say 10 birds a week for maybe 6 weeks thats 60 poults gone by that 1 bird and we all know how much of them are around at the moment. Combine that with the Sparrow hawk who will take 1 a day 'everyday' for around 3/4 weeks thats another 25-30 out the window.....so between these 2 working birds thats 90 poults gone.......90 bird driven day at a steal of £25 per bird equals £2250....now i'm sorry mate but that could be the difference of making a shoot worth while the doing..... :yes:

As for your keeper friend not telling you that Buzzards are effecting his poults......why would he tell you what goes on when he knows fine well what your interests are..... :bye:

Al just add i do agree that Buzzards dont take fully fit fully grown pheasants...........i have also seen a Buzzard eating a Red squirrel that it had caught..... :thumbs:

And what about the poults that get killed on the roads? In all the years I lived in the wood I never witnessed such wholesale slaughter as you are suggesting! And that was with both spar and 2prs of Buzzards nesting in the same wood. Once the poults reached a certain size and had left the confines of the pen, then Buzz and spar left them alone!

If a male harris struggles to hang on to a fully grown cock pheasant a buzzard has no chance. It's all in the feet you see. On avaerage a harris has bigger feet, longer toes, therefore a wider span. Buzzards have realativly small feet, short stubby toes! As for the Squirrel! Natural prey, they evolved together! :thumbs:

Edited by EskdaleHawks

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I saw on the telly the other day a load of lurcher boys get done for coursing hares but the lurcher lads know this never happens as if people are fcuking stupid,they shouldnt be doing it regardless.th

Well mate.....i'm only 30 but been around pheasants since i could walk and i've only ever 'seen' a Buzzard take a poult once in my life. I have however seen buzzards loads of tiomes leave the pen when

WOW thanks for that insight habitat loss,modern farming and increased predation have obviously had no bearing on lapwing decline it's cause they look like magpies :blink:

In both your posts Jasper you indicate that Buzzards dont take that many poults......wrong!! They do! A Buzzard will take 1, 2 maybe even 3 a day if it feels like it, they also have young birds that learn very quickly that a poult is easy meat. Now a quick calculation and lets say 10 birds a week for maybe 6 weeks thats 60 poults gone by that 1 bird and we all know how much of them are around at the moment. Combine that with the Sparrow hawk who will take 1 a day 'everyday' for around 3/4 weeks thats another 25-30 out the window.....so between these 2 working birds thats 90 poults gone.......90 bird driven day at a steal of £25 per bird equals £2250....now i'm sorry mate but that could be the difference of making a shoot worth while the doing..... :yes:

As for your keeper friend not telling you that Buzzards are effecting his poults......why would he tell you what goes on when he knows fine well what your interests are..... :bye:

Al just add i do agree that Buzzards dont take fully fit fully grown pheasants...........i have also seen a Buzzard eating a Red squirrel that it had caught..... :thumbs:

Not in this area they don't Lab, like I said I live litteraly yards from a large pen with a near on 2 acre garden that gets peppered with poults, I'm yet to see a Buzzard take one, and trust me I'm about here virtually all the time. perhaps there's bugger all else where you are for them to feed on so like any living creature they will need to feed somehow ;) .

another way of looking at it if I made my living from growing fruit includeing cherries which always get hit hard, the problem I have is a constant menace of Blackbirds and other birds coming in and hammering my profits, I can net them and do what I like but still a quantity of them will be lost. the interesting question is what do I do? Do I shoot the birds which are protected such as Blackbirds and risk prosecution? are they Vermin like Buzzards are being compared with? the situation is no different with Buzzards taking the odd poult! its sad I know but somtimes we all have to live with it until laws say otherwise. I'm yet to hear of any Business involving lifestock that doesn't have its problems and losses.

as for the keeper here... he certainly one million % doesn't have my interests at heart, we both live in the real world and he understands full well I know what goes on having helped keepers out in the past, I'm also a shooting man and have been for many years and totaly aware of pitfals some keepers have to face, this keeper know this full well and would soon tell me if the BOP was giving him the arse! he wouldn't give one iota weather I liked it or not :yes: , he knows I'm not the sort of bloke to condemn him for any of his actions :thumbs: .

I agree with you jasper, on some shoots they cause very little damage and what they do is perfectly acceptable. However on others its a different story...

My post certainly wasn't aimed at you BH :thumbs: . and I 100% agree they do and will take Gamebirds mate.

they put down a average of 15,000 Pheasants on this estate and a few thousand Partridge, there are Buzzards everywhere as I'm sure Millet can back me up on, I see them regular ringing round and round and never seen one yet take a Gamebird although I'm sure some poults get taken now and again.

there's a large meadow on the Esatate which you can only descibe as Watership down, its bunny city! this is the area where the Buzzards are most concentrated, there's a fair few bunny's with Mixy which I'm sure the Buzzards have been clearing up.

There's a large pen within a 100yds of My aviaries! when the poults are released my Garden is full of them everywhere, they even come into the feeders for the chickens. I have to say hand on heart I'm yet to see a Buzzard take one, I've seen a good few fox's about here which also took my Melanistic Pheasants :censored: but they end up being get cleared up in the end :thumbs:.

Jasp

And what about the poults that get killed on the roads? In all the years I lived in the wood I never witnessed such wholesale slaughter as you are suggesting! And that was with both spar and 2prs of Buzzards nesting in the same wood. Once the poults reached a certain size and had left the confines of the pen, then Buzz and spar left them alone!

If a male harris struggles to hang on to a fully grown cock pheasant a buzzard has no chance. It's all in the feet you see. On avaerage a harris has bigger feet, longer toes, therefore a wider span. Buzzards have realativly small feet, short stubby toes! As for the Squirrel! Natural prey, they evolved together! :thumbs:

Theres a big difference to 'living in a wood' too checking your birds 3 times a day. I've seen it with my own eyes so please dont try and tell me they dont do so. I've realesed birds into a pen, drove on to the next pen and released more then drove back passed the 1st pen 20 mins later and theres been a Buzzard flying out the pen and a freshly killed poult...still warm!!!!

And your point about the roads are?.. What can we do about roads, ban people from driving on them....... :icon_eek: I struggle to see where that would help your arguement in anyway as its just another shit thing that keepers have to put up with unfortunately.....you cant do nothing about that but you can with BOP's if the correct legal measures were put into place.

I know Buzzarsd dont take fully grown pheasants......why would they. As Jasper says the like to use as little energy as possibly so i'd imagine after the poults get up to around the 14/15 week old stage they might decide to go sit out behind a tractor and eat worms till the shooting season starts and they can scavenge on the birds that unfortunately dont get picked in a day.... :thumbs:

Not in this area they don't Lab, like I said I live litteraly yards from a large pen with a near on 2 acre garden that gets peppered with poults, I'm yet to see a Buzzard take one, and trust me I'm about here virtually all the time. perhaps there's bugger all else where you are for them to feed on so like any living creature they will need to feed somehow ;) .

another way of looking at it if I made my living from growing fruit includeing cherries which always get hit hard, the problem I have is a constant menace of Blackbirds and other birds coming in and hammering my profits, I can net them and do what I like but still a quantity of them will be lost. the interesting question is what do I do? Do I shoot the birds which are protected such as Blackbirds and risk prosecution? are they Vermin like Buzzards are being compared with? the situation is no different with Buzzards taking the odd poult! its sad I know but somtimes we all have to live with it until laws say otherwise. I'm yet to hear of any Business involving lifestock that doesn't have its problems and losses.

as for the keeper here... he certainly one million % doesn't have my interests at heart, we both live in the real world and he understands full well I know what goes on having helped keepers out in the past, I'm also a shooting man and have been for many years and totaly aware of pitfals some keepers have to face, this keeper know this full well and would soon tell me if the BOP was giving him the arse! he wouldn't give one iota weather I liked it or not :yes: , he knows I'm not the sort of bloke to condemn him for any of his actions.

Well mate.....i'm only 30 but been around pheasants since i could walk and i've only ever 'seen' a Buzzard take a poult once in my life. I have however seen buzzards loads of tiomes leave the pen when i arrive and 99.9% of the time you can bet your bottom dollar that theres a dead poult in the pen..... :yes: The time i did see it was i was chatting to my next door neighbour and one of my birds( around 4 weeks maybe) had gotten out into the rearing field. Next minute Buzzard swooped down low and bang it grabbed it with lots of squaking going on. I ran down the field and luckily i managed to save that lucky one. I remember my neighbours face and him saying that he 'would never have believed that a Buzzard would do that'........... :icon_eek:

And your point about the blackbirds is a good 1 and i think this whole thread is exactly about that. There is a chance now to do something about controlling numbers.....there are an abundance of Buzzards scattered over the country so thinning them out a little on estates where there are gamebirds is surely the way forward. I'd quite happily have a harsh sentance for anyone shooting BOP.s outside the allocated cull period..........as i've said before, shooting BOP's isnt a sport for some people its becoming more of a highly risked neccisity........something has to be done for the future.... :yes:

:thumbs:

• Like 3

Well mate.....i'm only 30 but been around pheasants since i could walk and i've only ever 'seen' a Buzzard take a poult once in my life. I have however seen buzzards loads of tiomes leave the pen when i arrive and 99.9% of the time you can bet your bottom dollar that theres a dead poult in the pen..... :yes: The time i did see it was i was chatting to my next door neighbour and one of my birds( around 4 weeks maybe) had gotten out into the rearing field. Next minute Buzzard swooped down low and bang it grabbed it with lots of squaking going on. I ran down the field and luckily i managed to save that lucky one. I remember my neighbours face and him saying that he 'would never have believed that a Buzzard would do that'........... :icon_eek:

And your point about the blackbirds is a good 1 and i think this whole thread is exactly about that. There is a chance now to do something about controlling numbers.....there are an abundance of Buzzards scattered over the country so thinning them out a little on estates where there are gamebirds is surely the way forward. I'd quite happily have a harsh sentance for anyone shooting BOP.s outside the allocated cull period..........as i've said before, shooting BOP's isnt a sport for some people its becoming more of a highly risked neccisity........something has to be done for the future.... :yes:

spot on Lab :thumbs:. Trust me mate I genuinly know where you're coming from, it 's different here as perhaps the Buzzards are occupied with the mixy Rabbits and other easy picking.

I've got to know a few keepers in the past and all seem under stress in the season, its definitely a high pressure job and one I don't think I could handle. I get the impression alot of people don't realise quite whats invloved....

Jasp

spot on Lab :thumbs:. Trust me mate I genuinly know where you're coming from, it 's different here as perhaps the Buzzards are occupied with the mixy Rabbits and other easy picking.

I've got to know a few keepers in the past and all seem under stress in the season, its definitely a high pressure job and one I don't think I could handle. I get the impression alot of people don't realise quite whats invloved....

Jasp

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Jasp

i know whats involved in keepering as its a 24hr job,as for where lab is there might be loads of buzzards but ive been on some shoots where there is only 1 pair and those still get shot at. a certain permission i have it has took yrs for the red kites to come but you guessed it they have been shot and theres hell on about that.the farm i go on used to leave the dead lambs for the kites to clear but now thats ileagle.why dont keepers put netting over the pen tops to stop preditors if thats how they are getting in.

Jasp

i know whats involved in keepering as its a 24hr job,as for where lab is there might be loads of buzzards but ive been on some shoots where there is only 1 pair and those still get shot at. a certain permission i have it has took yrs for the red kites to come but you guessed it they have been shot and theres hell on about that.the farm i go on used to leave the dead lambs for the kites to clear but now thats ileagle.why dont keepers put netting over the pen tops to stop preditors if thats how they are getting in.

Well i'm not sure what part of the country you are talking about where there is only 1 pair of Buzzards but it must be remote because there are thousands of them nowadays. Thats a good idea about leaving things like rabbits, pigeon and in your case lambs for them to feed on and i'm sure it helps a little but it will still not stop them taking poults because of how easy it is for them.

Also you cant net these release pens......some pens are very big and any decent pen will have good quality trees for the birds to roost in as soon as possible......so in effect a net is a no go.

Jasp

Well i'm not sure what part of the country you are talking about where there is only 1 pair of Buzzards but it must be remote because there are thousands of them nowadays. Thats a good idea about leaving things like rabbits, pigeon and in your case lambs for them to feed on and i'm sure it helps a little but it will still not stop them taking poults because of how easy it is for them.

Also you cant net these release pens......some pens are very big and any decent pen will have good quality trees for the birds to roost in as soon as possible......so in effect a net is a no go.

tried diversionary feeding and it works to a limited degree do find it a bit rough on the 10 rabbits a day I needed to shoot to satisfy the demand from every carrion eater in the area and I actually found it encouraged more to areas that I would prefer they didn't frequent,as for netting the pens one of mine is 6 acres and has trees over 40 foot high so any help fitting it would be appreciated :laugh: mindst non of this helps with the continual harassment of the partridge from start to end of season.

Jasp

tried diversionary feeding and it works to a limited degree do find it a bit rough on the 10 rabbits a day I needed to shoot to satisfy the demand from every carrion eater in the area and I actually found it encouraged more to areas that I would prefer they didn't frequent,as for netting the pens one of mine is 6 acres and has trees over 40 foot high so any help fitting it would be appreciated :laugh: mindst non of this helps with the continual harassment of the partridge from start to end of season.

ffs Dan see you keepers.... :thumbdown: just net your whole estate then..............you should try atleast.... :whistling:

First thing in morning I'm away to ring collins nets for a 3000 acre 1 1/2" square mesh net must be on 1 roll and come with 2 million net hooks :thumbs:

:laugh: ..Oh you use him too........ :laugh: I've got a few packs of rails here if you want to make poles for holding up the net.....reckon you'll be needing around 200'000 of them........ ;) Hope it doesn't snow in winter........ :cry:

First thing in morning I'm away to ring collins nets for a 3000 acre 1 1/2" square mesh net must be on 1 roll and come with 2 million net hooks :thumbs:

:laugh: ..Oh you use him too........ :laugh: I've got a few packs of rails here if you want to make poles for holding up the net.....reckon you'll be needing around 200'000 of them........ ;) Hope it doesn't snow in winter........ :cry:

collins nets is just up the road for me so use them quite a bit :thumbs:

not that sure 2 million hooks would be enough :icon_eek:

been using them for about 3/4 years now and he still wont send anything without a cheque arriving first............maybe cause am scottish.......... :hmm::D

been using them for about 3/4 years now and he still wont send anything without a cheque arriving first............maybe cause am scottish.......... :hmm::D

Surprised at that mate I would have thought they would do you an account not sure on the terms of ours but he just bills the boss after I've been might be though that just local customers can have accounts.