sparrow hawk

Ok mick an honest reply I have never owned a spar myself,however I used to go out with an old boy years ago who flew nothing but spars,he was flying em when you had to apply for a permit to take a brancher from the wild,I saw his birds on magpies, pigeons, partridges,and jays, but never a blackbird in sight or at least I never saw them catch any,im with the seeker on this one if it aint vermin or smells good on my plate then why the hell hunt it? doing so legaly or not only brings the sport into disrepute and thats my point,after all you would not drop a roe buck at 200 yds and then leave it to rot saying that was a damn good shot would you just becouse it may be fun to hunt something does not make it right , but ultimately thats what separates a real hunter from the rest in my opinion, I rest my case :cry:

do you think for 1 minute the blackbird would be left to rot or anything else caught straight in the freezer for the moult i think watching a bop do its thing is a lot better than shooting things but thats my opinion and you ask any decent sparvitor whos been flying spars will tell you the blackbird is the ultimate test i know 4 old boys who have all been flying accipiters for thirty years plus and they say the same and so will any other sparvitor the old boy you was out with mustnt of had a spar capable :laugh:

ps bringing the sport into disrepute a spar with a blackie or yo with a roe and a 22

Edited by mick1212

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i havent flown one for over 20 years ive taken teal,pheasant poults,woodies,magies,partridge,moorhen athough you have to get in there quick as there leathel when there on their backs with them feet,

you better be good at imping

Got to agree I just don't know why you'd want to hunt blackbirds   Now if your talking a nice partridge then I can totally see where your at, IMO it's either got to end up on my plate surrounded by

Posted Images

Ok mick an honest reply I have never owned a spar myself,however I used to go out with an old boy years ago who flew nothing but spars,he was flying em when you had to apply for a permit to take a brancher from the wild,I saw his birds on magpies, pigeons, partridges,and jays, but never a blackbird in sight or at least I never saw them catch any,im with the seeker on this one if it aint vermin or smells good on my plate then why the hell hunt it? doing so legaly or not only brings the sport into disrepute and thats my point,after all you would not drop a roe buck at 200 yds and then leave it to rot saying that was a damn good shot would you just becouse it may be fun to hunt something does not make it right , but ultimately thats what separates a real hunter from the rest in my opinion, I rest my case :cry:

You're talking as if a trained spar is going to muller every Blackbird in the vicinity, this won't happen with the advantage virtually always with the fitter wild quarry, a Trained spar will never be as fit as the quarry you're flying even if you fly it everyday. you would be surprised how they struggle with Blackbirds in fair flight straight off the fist, there's always a very high percentage chance the quarry will make its escape knowing the terrain better than the trained hawk.

People shoot and Hunt quarry everyday not always for the pot, Pheasants get shot for sport with some ending up in graves never making it to the table. Getting somthing in your sights or useing a shotty and pulling a trigger is alot different than somthing given a HIGH sporting chance in open countryside or woodland, its a one on One confrontation which many many times is unsuccesfull.

You're talking as if a trained spar is going to muller every Blackbird in the vicinity, this won't happen with the advantage virtually always with the fitter wild quarry, a Trained spar will never be as fit as the quarry you're flying even if you fly it everyday. you would be surprised how they struggle with Blackbirds in fair flight straight off the fist, there's always a very high percentage chance the quarry will make its escape knowing the terrain better than the trained hawk.

People shoot and Hunt quarry everyday not always for the pot, Pheasants get shot for sport with some ending up in graves never making it to the table. Getting somthing in your sights or useing a shotty and pulling a trigger is alot different than somthing given a HIGH sporting chance in open countryside or woodland, its a one on One confrontation which many many times is unsuccesfull.

well said jasper its easy to put a bullet in a rifle or a cartridge in a shotty than to train a bop and watch it catch its own food which is a lot more rewarding and what they do naturally

Ok this is moving way off the mark, firstly I dont shoot roe with a .22 I use a .243. I only made that comparison to emphasise the point that in my humble opinion hunting something irrespective of legality that is neither a pest or a good food source just becouse it feeds your inflated ego about how wonderfull your bird is and enables you to talk tough from the corner of your mouth in the pub,is not good for our collective sports in general,if you guys think hunting blackbirds is good then so be it, personally the only blackbirds i want to hunt are the ones that look like beyonce,and as for the anti shooting stance that sounds like the sort of c--p that comes from a man who cant have a ticket for a s gun or fac and sour grapes creeping in,It beggars belief to me that you seem to attach such kudos to hunting a harmless songbird,assuming you have permission to hunt on land which I doubt,It would be great to know how happy your landowners would be knowing you hunted songbirds :no:

As an aside, I have just albeit quickly, been flicking through my extensive collection of books on hunting a broad spectrum of quarry, written by both the well healed and not so well healed, and none of the greats I.E. BB,KENZIE THORPE,BRIAN PLUMMER,MILLAIS, HAWKER,ECT,ECT,ECT,SEEM TO MAKE ANY REFERENCE TO HUNTING THE NOBLE BLACKBIRD, i CANT UNDERSTAND IT :whistling: PERHAPS IN FUTURE IT WILL BE KNOWN AS THE BIG SIX TO INCLUDE THE MIGHTY BLACKBIRD,AND THE MC,NAB WILL NOT ONLY INCLUDE SALMON,GROUSE AND A STAG, BUT THE REAL TEST WILL BE YES, YOUVE GUESSED IT THE song thrush,get real lads eh. :toast:

Why when your sport is criticised do you defend it by criticising another mans? your ignorance of pheasant shooting is plain to see if it wasn't you would know that the demand for game now far exceeds production and game dealers are crying out for pheasants and partridge mine even waits at the chiller for us to finish the day so he can fulfil his next days orders!

I don't care what you guys legally take with your birds but don't start justifying your actions by criticising something that you are clearly ignorant to.

Why when your sport is criticised do you defend it by criticising another mans? your ignorance of pheasant shooting is plain to see if it wasn't you would know that the demand for game now far exceeds production and game dealers are crying out for pheasants and partridge mine even waits at the chiller for us to finish the day so he can fulfil his next days orders!

I don't care what you guys legally take with your birds but don't start justifying your actions by criticising something that you are clearly ignorant to.

Look old mate! you come across as one of those who likes to come onto other peoples posts to do nothing but create controversy and arguements, now come out of little world and read my post again :doh:, not ONCE did I critisise Game shooting :censored:. infact I practice the f*****g sport myself so don't give me the moral high ground.

I note you popped up on another topic before this one basically doing the same thing old mate, I suggest you read that one again and you will see I live on a Sporting shooting estate which puts down at least 15,000 pheasants and you're telling me all these go to the game dealer even the one's that are smashed or mullered by dogs picking up :doh:! I'm well aware on what goes on pal so take yourself off somewhere else and stop taking posts totaly out of context. seems you like to jump on posts without reading through them first :censored:.

People shoot and Hunt quarry everyday not always for the pot, Pheasants get shot for sport with a vast majority ending up in graves never making it to the table. Getting somthing in your sights or useing a shotty and pulling a trigger is alot different than somthing given a HIGH sporting chance in open countryside or woodland, its a one on One confrontation which many many times is unsuccesfull.

I think the point is being missed here, without doubt a sparrow hawk will take the odd blackbird or even other song birds but to actively state on an open forum that it's good sport to persue this species is beyond me, then to justify it by saying you can apply for a licence to take them WHY would you want to?

I have stood in front of a group of non hunting people several times and have (and will always) defended a mans rights to hunt be that foxing with hounds shooting or any other method , and I'm pleased to say have turned some people round to at least understand our sport I just can't see that argument working for hunting blackbirds in what ever capacity.

We are all (or should be) on the same side and at a time when a badger cull is being resisted by the general public due to ignorance and lack of understanding it's important we portray our legal right to hunt in a responsible manner.....

Nice 1 thanks i love the look ov em and the way they fly ive had harris hawks for a few years now and wonting to try some thing diffrent . Think i will give 1 a try . Atb bryn

you better be good at imping

if he aint he had better learn quick :laugh: woodpigeon tail looks good :laugh:

as for blackbirds allways have been the ultimate test, read a hawk for the bush by jack mavrogordato :thumbs: mind i tried for 2 seasons to catch a snipe :wallbash: first season with a female then a musket second season i thought they might be able to outrise one but sadely no :no: as has been said blackbirds and sparrs are natural, like dogs and cats :laugh:

• Like 1

We are all (or should be) on the same side and at a time when a badger cull is being resisted by the general public due to ignorance and lack of understanding it's important we portray our legal right to hunt in a responsible manner.....

You say we are all on the same side so why the controversy? do I question anyone else field sports on a open forum or anywhere else for that matter? infact I practice plenty myself. for starters I don't fly spars anymore so I am out of aquation but I certainly wouldn't condemn anyone else flying them under licence or anyone else's sport! flying blackbirds under licence is totaly legal. Blackbirds are not exactly rare either are they and never will be if all they have to worry about is a trainned spar, take a look at the household cat first.

It seems to me that there's one hell of alot come on this forum ready to condemn other people pursuits in favour of theirs, its a laugh a minute to any of the anti brigade reading through these sort of crap :doh:. it also shows that some are willing to sit on the fence when it comes to some field sports :hmm:? as I remember we was all supposed to be one voice on the field sports marches, one voice my arse! somehow I doubt there's the same controversy with the anti's, they want to ban everything end off.

Blackbirds have been a flown by Austringers for centuries, its nothing new! its always been considered a sporting contest no more than a Dog chaseing a hare, ok you can eat the hare but what about 4 and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie :D...

as for blackbirds allways have been the ultimate test, read a hawk for the bush by jack mavrogordato :thumbs: mind i tried for 2 seasons to catch a snipe :wallbash: first season with a female then a musket second season i thought they might be able to outrise one but sadely no :no: as has been said blackbirds and sparrs are natural, like dogs and cats :laugh:

:notworthy::notworthy: spoken by a man who has been and done it and knows the score, spot on Paulus :thumbs:...

What no one has mentioned is that a blackbird is a natural quarry of a sparrow hawk. (Hence the availability of the licences) If the hawk does catch a blackbird the bird does not go to waste as it is used to feed the hawk.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1

Ok this is moving way off the mark, firstly I dont shoot roe with a .22 I use a .243. I only made that comparison to emphasise the point that in my humble opinion hunting something irrespective of legality that is neither a pest or a good food source just becouse it feeds your inflated ego about how wonderfull your bird is and enables you to talk tough from the corner of your mouth in the pub,is not good for our collective sports in general,if you guys think hunting blackbirds is good then so be it, personally the only blackbirds i want to hunt are the ones that look like beyonce,and as for the anti shooting stance that sounds like the sort of c--p that comes from a man who cant have a ticket for a s gun or fac and sour grapes creeping in,It beggars belief to me that you seem to attach such kudos to hunting a harmless songbird,assuming you have permission to hunt on land which I doubt,It would be great to know how happy your landowners would be knowing you hunted songbirds :no:

that just shows how much you know i am clean as a whistle no criminal record whatso ever so i could have a ticket permission i have been lucky to have quite a bit passed on to me by family members i dont drink so wont be in a pub and dont go in the stalking section because its not my cup of tea you dont fly birds yet your knocking our sport you wouldnt like me knocking your sport in your section so stick your nose elsewere :bye: ps you want to shoot guns join the army roe cant shoot back :laugh:

Edited by mick1212

Ahh yes four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie,Im sure if I searched hard enough I could find a song relating to bear baiting,my initial reply to this topic was in no way intended to be a criticism of another mans sport,indeed I fly a fhh myself,it was however an attempt to point out that on the grounds of utility, actively seeking to catch blackbirds legal or not does falconry no good what so ever,despite accounts of dashing flights and other heroic deeds in blackbird hawking,they are harmless songbirds that are not used on the table and are not a pest,and there are lots of alternative food sources available, so you dont need to freeze them for your birds,it is this kind ot FTW attitude that will end or put huge restraints on falconry,the antis will,mark my words turn their attentions to falconry,and when the time comes to deffend it perhaps the use of bops for food or pest control might sit better with joe public rather than heroic tales of killing one of our iconic garden songbirds,AGREE??? :blink:

Ahh yes four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie,Im sure if I searched hard enough I could find a song relating to bear baiting,my initial reply to this topic was in no way intended to be a criticism of another mans sport,indeed I fly a fhh myself,it was however an attempt to point out that on the grounds of utility, actively seeking to catch blackbirds legal or not does falconry no good what so ever,despite accounts of dashing flights and other heroic deeds in blackbird hawking,they are harmless songbirds that are not used on the table and are not a pest,and there are lots of alternative food sources available, so you dont need to freeze them for your birds,it is this kind ot FTW attitude that will end or put huge restraints on falconry,the antis will,mark my words turn their attentions to falconry,and when the time comes to deffend it perhaps the use of bops for food or pest control might sit better with joe public rather than heroic tales of killing one of our iconic garden songbirds,AGREE??? :blink:

no i dont agree show the public a 243 leaning on a roe and show them a spar on a blackbird and i wonder what they would say was wrong