sparrow hawk

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i havent flown one for over 20 years ive taken teal,pheasant poults,woodies,magies,partridge,moorhen athough you have to get in there quick as there leathel when there on their backs with them feet,

you better be good at imping

Got to agree I just don't know why you'd want to hunt blackbirds   Now if your talking a nice partridge then I can totally see where your at, IMO it's either got to end up on my plate surrounded by

Posted Images

As above . Just wont to know wat quarry they take and how they r to handle cheers .

a few of my mates have them there like minature pitbulls they love magpies there great on them 1 of my mates has had a seaghull and a crow but the best flights are on blackies quite hard to catch though id like to see 1 on partridge i reckon thatll be a good flight if you dont put quarry in front of them regular they throw tantrums

Will they take phesants pal.

i have never seen it done but heard of 1 that has took a female feso and on the iff someone was trying to take feso not sure how he got on if you wanted 1 mainly for feso id go for the goshawk or theres a few spar cross gosses about now there more suited

Will they take phesants pal.

i have never seen it done but heard of 1 that has took a female feso and on the iff someone was trying to take feso not sure how he got on if you wanted 1 mainly for feso id go for the goshawk or theres a few spar cross gosses about now there more suited

I have heard it too and there are vids about on youtube I think. But it isn't something that is very repeatable, a spar would get a proper kicking from a cock pheasant and it's very risky. They will learn quickly they aren't worth the bother, a bit like a merlin that decides skylarks really aren't worth the energy.

But if you are asking questions like 'how they r to handle' then you probably aren't ready. They are one of the trickest little buggers to fly as they are so high strung. You need to keep their weight within about 3-5 grams to fly them which means feeding twice a day usually due to their high metabloic rate. They are incredible to watch fly though, defo my favourite. But don't get one unless you have flown a variery of birds for years or it might put you off altogether.

ive bred and flown spars,there main game is magpie jackdaw piegeon crow and most of the corvid family,i used to fly my female at most of these and black bird are good sport,the male in my oppinion is harder to fly but is very agile at going through trees then the female but the female will take on bigger prey then the male ,bothe of these birds are no good for a novice and are easy to kill in the wrong hands ,they suffer from fits and bad antics at times but once you have them flying are a awsome bird to use hope this helps

yes as another member has said imping is a must with these bird ,my female smashed her tail feathers 3 times in a season scrambling through thorn bushes after maggies

• 2 weeks later...

They are brilliant birds to fly,but a different kettle of fish to a Harris mate! I miss mine like crazy! They're not half as forgiving as a Harris either and nowhere near as hardy. If you want to hunt pheasant DON'T buy a spar,yes they have guts,but like someone else has said ,it's gonna give your hawk a pasting and you could end up having to try and imp a whole tail pretty quickly.

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/110102-imprint-spar-missy/

That's an old thread/diary that I did on mine. Good luck with whatever you decide to do,they're great fun but do your homework first mate.

I've always been interested in getting into falconry at some point and have always fancied the idea of a sparrow hawk.But reading through some posts on them am i right in saying they're not a bird for a first timer?.If not what other BOP is similar but more suited to a first timer.And what sort of prices are these sort of birds?

Sorryh for all the questions but if you don't ask you won't learn :icon_redface:

I've always been interested in getting into falconry at some point and have always fancied the idea of a sparrow hawk.But reading through some posts on them am i right in saying they're not a bird for a first timer?.If not what other BOP is similar but more suited to a first timer.And what sort of prices are these sort of birds?

Sorryh for all the questions but if you don't ask you won't learn :icon_redface:

people will normally say a harris for a first timer because there easy going but i would look at the land and quarry which you will be flying and decide what bird would be suited to the land and quarry then find a decent mentor who flys bop what would suit your type of flying and go from there get that right and youll love it