Danw, why don't you pick up with your cockers?.Whats your breeding like?

And Lab, get one trust me you won't regret it :thumbs:

I've a fox red lab bitch which i got from a good breeder at 11 months old.I'll admit she's not that well trained as she thinks she knows better :wallbash: .But i have 2 cockers one of which is well bred from top trialling stock and the other I bought to train up and sell on but fell in love with :icon_redface: .The little fella has it all and i'd put him up against any lab picking up i can work him out to a fair old distance and he's bang on the whistle and hand signals.The bitch is still young and lacks confidence so the training is slow but she's coming along nicely.

If i'm honest as much as i like labs i think I'm going to stick with cockers in the future as i find them easy to train, steady when you wnt them to be and have all the gears and drive when needed.

How small are they?

My dogs sire is cheweky scholes, dams side is pretty impressive aswell.The bitch does'nt have papers :(

The reason I don't train my dogs to pick up is because I never go picking up I expect them to dog in every day from july through january and on shoot days I can't pick up and run the beaters.there breeding is a mix of wernffrwd,game goer,ammerdown,maesydderwen and gwibernant :thumbs:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They turn out shit because they are used early and because sadly they're cheap, plentiful, easy to access and if it don't do the lot before it's a year it's sold on as unspoilt and ready to go!? You c

Never understood why the lurchers seem to be used early..maybe thats why so many turn out shite. I'm a firm believer in a pup being a pup and no serious training until 1 year of age....

Ive got one Lurcher, his training started on day one of him coming home, he was trained not to pull on wool and was cattle broke from a real early age, i trained him some very basic commands very well

shouldn't worry about the papers so long as it does what you want :thumbs:

nice dogs dan :thumbs:

Cheers :thumbs:

Any brothers/ sisters there mate. Very similar. Whats that big muckle thing in the middle...... :icon_eek::thumbs:

Any brothers/ sisters there mate. Very similar. Whats that big muckle thing in the middle...... :icon_eek::thumbs:

There's an eye for you foreground is mother second is aunty last 3 are brother and 2 sisters, within the line there is some outcrossing both to smallish springer and sussex spaniel the line goes back through my fathers and grandfathers dogs and every now and then it throws some funny colours :icon_redface:

There's an eye for you foreground is mother second is aunty last 3 are brother and 2 sisters, within the line there is some outcrossing both to smallish springer and sussex spaniel the line goes back through my fathers and grandfathers dogs and every now and then it throws some funny colours :icon_redface:

Nice.... :thumbs: How did/are you finding training 3 pups at the same time. I've found my 2 alot more time consuming than when its just 1..? I know theres an unwritten rule of not training 2 at the same time, better of with 1 but needs must. I dont think i could have got 2 different styles of workers if i could have tried. Whats yours like?

Nice.... :thumbs: How did/are you finding training 3 pups at the same time. I've found my 2 alot more time consuming than when its just 1..? I know theres an unwritten rule of not training 2 at the same time, better of with 1 but needs must. I dont think i could have got 2 different styles of workers if i could have tried. Whats yours like?

to start them off I take them out to work with me 1 pup at a time so they learn to be independent of there siblings then once they have the basics I start to run them with the adults but again 1 at a time,after a season of that I can bring them back as couples and by then they have become independent and worked out their own style so I just match them up 1 that runs thorough and steady to one that pushes on ahead, because I can just take them out when I work it isn't like making time for training, the reason I run a number of pups on like this is cause when I breed I do it to improve the line so I keep the ones I like and the rest go to dad or a couple of mates who are keepers and if one of the pups dosent meet our approval we know for fact it wont be bred from. :thumbs:

to start them off I take them out to work with me 1 pup at a time so they learn to be independent of there siblings then once they have the basics I start to run them with the adults but again 1 at a time,after a season of that I can bring them back as couples and by then they have become independent and worked out their own style so I just match them up 1 that runs thorough and steady to one that pushes on ahead, because I can just take them out when I work it isn't like making time for training, the reason I run a number of pups on like this is cause when I breed I do it to improve the line so I keep the ones I like and the rest go to dad or a couple of mates who are keepers and if one of the pups dosent meet our approval we know for fact it wont be bred from. :thumbs:

Good stuff. :thumbs: