2011/12 goshawkers

CrowHawker

Hi all just question who's picking a goss up for the coming season male female pr,imprint,Finnish,german,chech,pure or crosses be interested to see how many are having parent reared bet more will be imprinting. Atb Matt

Its a pretty safe bet I would say. looks like there's plenty around to choose from judging from all the adverts :icon_eek:

Jasper

Hi all just question who's picking a goss up for the coming season male female pr,imprint,Finnish,german,chech,pure or crosses be interested to see how many are having parent reared bet more will be imprinting. Atb Matt

Its a pretty safe bet I would say. looks like there's plenty around to choose from judging from all the adverts :icon_eek:

Jasper

Did notice the price drop normally a sign of lots about mate saw a advert for a female Finnish for 1,200 quid he'll of a drop your orders full are they mate?

Did notice the price drop normally a sign of lots about mate saw a advert for a female Finnish for 1,200 quid he'll of a drop your orders full are they mate?

You can count on one hand how many we did this year mate! been looking to cut back on Goshawks completely in favour of straight Peregrines for a couple of years now, it was obviouse how things was going but it seems its happening much quicker. we'll be finished with the Goshawks hopefully sooner rather than later.

thankfully over the years we kept back stock from the old breeding pair of Peregrines, they're good sized genuine pure stock which we'll now be concentrating more on these.

You can count on one hand how many we did this year mate! been looking to cut back on Goshawks completely in favour of straight Peregrines for a couple of years now, it was obviouse how things was going but it seems its happening much quicker. we'll be finished with the Goshawks hopefully sooner rather than later.

thankfully over the years we kept back stock from the old breeding pair of Peregrines, they're good sized genuine pure stock which we'll now be concentrating more on these.

best of luck with the peregrines mate, bosses are going the same as the Harris my uncle paid 2000 not to long ago for a female you can pick them up for 300 no. I just hope they hold on to some value because all you will see is numptys buying cheap birds and that scares me. Atb mate
  • 2 weeks later...

Getting a PR Gos this year, the forth Gos I have had over time. I am getting it from a couple of guys who went to Finland and brought several Birds back. The mother of my Bird was wild caught in Finland and the Father is first generation captive bred. I have known them a little while and I am looking forward to going up and viewing their Birds and picking the one I want.

There are guys out there selling Finnish this and Finnish that, I have bought them, so I know....BUT the chance of getting a Bird from a wild caught female Gos in Finland and a first gen captive bred Bird as it's Father doesn't come along too often. One of the imprint females has a front to back footspan of 5 and a 1/2 inches as a chick. Parent reared would be my choice 99% of the time, in any Bird.

I did and still do want a Peregrine from Jasper65, but this offer came up. A Pere came a very close second. The terrain I have favours a Gos more than Longwing flying though, so will have to see.

Getting a PR Gos this year, the forth Gos I have had over time. I am getting it from a couple of guys who went to Finland and brought several Birds back. The mother of my Bird was wild caught in Finland and the Father is first generation captive bred. I have known them a little while and I am looking forward to going up and viewing their Birds and picking the one I want.

There are guys out there selling Finnish this and Finnish that, I have bought them, so I know....BUT the chance of getting a Bird from a wild caught female Gos in Finland and a first gen captive bred Bird as it's Father doesn't come along too often. One of the imprint females has a front to back footspan of 5 and a 1/2 inches as a chick. Parent reared would be my choice 99% of the time, in any Bird.

I did and still do want a Peregrine from Jasper65, but this offer came up. A Pere came a very close second. The terrain I have favours a Gos more than Longwing flying though, so will have to see.

Nice one Shamo sounds a nice quality bird :thumbs:. Go out and kick some arse with it mate :notworthy:.

We had a disaster with the Goshawks this year and only ended up with four, the problem was the semen extender which we was useing which was killing the semen, thankfully the last few eggs we used neat semen and ended up with four fertile, if we used the extender for every egg I reckon we would have ended up with nothing! as it is we ended up with eleven eggs Infertile even though semen was flowing :icon_eek:.

Peregrine wise was a good year with ten out of eleven fertile, we lost one when it was breached and hatched the rest, the annoying thing is out of the first eight six are tiercels. we have two very late chicks only a few days old which I havn't sexed properly yet but knowing our luck they will both be tiercels. the funny thing is a Guy we was gifting semen to had seven youngster and ended up with six females, thats the way it goes somtimes I guess :thumbs:.

Jasp

I know it's an accepted way of getting more for your efforts, but I hate the thought of messing with 'semen'. Sometimes there can be a low amount of useable Sperms and I guess it get's watered down even more with the albumen, or whatever you use? If the line is important to keep, I'd be knocking his Door, depending on the Falcons he used in his matings. I am not a breeding man, enjoy doing too many things to be tied to it. I love the manning and entering processes, sometimes more than going out for the day in the Field.

Good luck with your Pere's bud, perhaps I can put my name down on a Falcon for the future, obviously not this year, with the ration of Tiercels you've had....lol.

I'd be flying the 5 year old female Gos I had, given the choice 'Bullet'. Unfortunately she tried to fly down a cock Pheasant, which flew through a Hay Rake. 'Chica' didn't do it so well and ripped herself too badly and broke too much to be saved. She flew at 2lb6oz but hunted best at 2lb 3-4oz, for a PR Bird not a bad weight, had several bits and pieces with her too. After that happened I went back into Longwings, I was pretty cut up about it and nearly called it a day, especially watching her die. So in the end I decided to take a detour and had a Pere Saker female and a Gyr Saker female to hunt with, had Lonwings in the past, so it was nice to fly and condition Birds in a different way.................then a recent lifes obstacle dictated they HAD to go, been without a Bird since then. So took the opportunity offered to me a week or two ago, by the breeders, of having another Gos. Hoping to have a meet or two down here for the UKFC this coming season, so hope this new Bird turns out. Good hunting with your new Spar 'Bullet'.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one Shamo sounds a nice quality bird :thumbs:. Go out and kick some arse with it mate :notworthy:.

We had a disaster with the Goshawks this year and only ended up with four, the problem was the semen extender which we was useing which was killing the semen, thankfully the last few eggs we used neat semen and ended up with four fertile, if we used the extender for every egg I reckon we would have ended up with nothing! as it is we ended up with eleven eggs Infertile even though semen was flowing :icon_eek:.

Peregrine wise was a good year with ten out of eleven fertile, we lost one when it was breached and hatched the rest, the annoying thing is out of the first eight six are tiercels. we have two very late chicks only a few days old which I havn't sexed properly yet but knowing our luck they will both be tiercels. the funny thing is a Guy we was gifting semen to had seven youngster and ended up with six females, thats the way it goes somtimes I guess :thumbs:.

Jasp

Hi mate, Got her here now. Tried to weigh her, but not being manned and Hoodless it was a slow task. Couldn't get an accurate reading, due to her getting P'd off, however I do know she is over 3lb at 9 weeks and 3 days. Sat on Glove in living room with me watching TV at the moment. Her dam is a wild caught female from Finland and her sire is an F1 male.

Edited to add she is the very first PR Bird to be flown from these fellas, the rest have been imprints, so fair bit of pressure to get her right............looking forward to a busy season coming up, slowly, slowly, catchy Monkey!

Edited by Shamo

Ill be flying my 2008 4th season PR finnish male bred by Jasper..he come out of the aivery at 2lb 8oz last year which was a shock as he finnished the season before at 1lb 14oz..a lot of that will of been body fat im sure..

I did not get much last season with him as i was consentrating on the bunnies which he has not mastered yet..but that is my fault though.. as i flew him around 1lb 12/1lb 13oz at the begining of last season.. and i felt a bit guilty dropping him a bit lower as he is realy responsive to the fist at that weight..i will take the plunge this season though and drop him to around the 1lb 11oz mark which i hope work's..as i have lost my origional flying ground that has all species of feather which he takes at high weight's.. i now fly on a mate's land that is riddled with rabbit's...so here's hoping the penny drop's.. :thumbs:

Edited by Millet

Hi mate, Got her here now. Tried to weigh her, but not being manned and Hoodless it was a slow task. Couldn't get an accurate reading, due to her getting P'd off, however I do know she is over 3lb at 9 weeks and 3 days. Sat on Glove in living room with me watching TV at the moment. Her dam is a wild caught female from Finland and her sire is an F1 male.

Edited to add she is the very first PR Bird to be flown from these fellas, the rest have been imprints, so fair bit of pressure to get her right............looking forward to a busy season coming up, slowly, slowly, catchy Monkey!

My lines are also 100% pure genuine finn Goshawks too mate, I have lines dateing back to when Bob Haddon had the first birds brought in from Finland back in the 70's, he a bred a bird called "Belan" in 76 which was a noted hawk in the field also the first Goshawks to be captive bred in this country, "Marlyn" came off her who Ronny Moore flew in the "Phantom Of The Forrest" survival program and consequently most of my old stock came off her. I have one female here tops out at 4lb 4 which is the mother to Millets bird, I also had contact from a spanish fella who had a young female off her which ended up after I converted the weight from grams to onces at 3lb 15 top.weight, anyone old school who knows me or been to see the birds know 100% what we have got here

all in all weight is a load of bollox! most of the time its just Big Willy Syndrome. many of the best Hare hawks have been german lines flown across the continent, a old Falconer once said to me "Big Boys Little Girls" he's 100% right. I like the larger males but if I was to fly a female again with would be probably from my old Hungarian female who tops out at 2lb 6, this would do everything and more I want from a Hawk.

Ill be flying my 2008 4th season PR finnish male bred by Jasper..he come out of the aivery at 2lb 8oz last year which was a shock as he finnished the season before at 2lb 14oz..a lot of that will of been body fat im sure..

I did not get much last season with him as i was consentrating on the bunnies which he has not mastered yet..but that is my fault though.. as i flew him around 1lb 12/1lb 13oz at the begining of last season.. and i felt a bit guilty dropping him a bit lower as he is realy responsive to the fist at that weight..i will take the plunge this season though and drop him to around the 1lb 11oz mark which i hope work's..as i have lost my origional flying ground that has all species of feather which he takes at high weight's.. i now fly on a mate's land that is riddled with rabbit's...so here's hoping the penny drop's.. :thumbs:

He'll be on a mission this year! some good sport is only round the corner mate :victory: . when this young female go I'll pull the male out too and get the Hood on him :thumbs:

Jasper