.17 hmr for fox

All previous foxes that I have sent to the big chicken coop in the sky have been at the wrong end of either a .223 or .243. Although I have fox conditioned on my hmr I always considered it too lightweight to use on anything but rabbit. Last night I was in a position where the hmr would be more appropriate than a centrefire so after a trip the the RFD to invest in the 20gr gamehead CCI's and a zeroing session during the day, it finally drew blood. The fox was at 50 or so yards when it stopped broadside and took a round in the boiler room. It ran about ten paces and gave up the ghost.

Does anyone else use the hmr on charlie if so do you use gamepoint or ballistic tip ?

that is why they brought out the 20 grainers the 17 ballistics are not rated as they explode rather than penatrate when they hit bone as thick as fox ribs.i'm sure guys use the 17 grn ones to great affect and im sure the do the job . but the 20s are much better.how are they grouping out of interest compared to the ballistic tips.

I have the .22 /.17 hmr rimrifle also .223 / .243 C/F all are cleared for fox.

.22 and the hmr are used at close range as i do a fair bit of fox shooting in back gardens,(yes i have an open ticket) 99% are head shots and i use .22 winchesters out to 50yards and hornady .17 Vmax at rangers to 100yards, i have used winchester .17 hmr 20grain which i found good at long distance but not close in work.

All previous foxes that I have sent to the big chicken coop in the sky have been at the wrong end of either a .223 or .243. Although I have fox conditioned on my hmr I always considered it too lightweight to use on anything but rabbit. Last night I was in a position where the hmr would be more appropriate than a centrefire so after a trip the the RFD to invest in the 20gr gamehead CCI's and a zeroing session during the day, it finally drew blood. The fox was at 50 or so yards when it stopped broadside and took a round in the boiler room. It ran about ten paces and gave up the ghost.

Does anyone else use the hmr on charlie if so do you use gamepoint or ballistic tip ?

I had a 17HMR for 3 years, (At the same time I also had a .22 Rimfire and a .270 Centrefire), I dont think it's a generic 'Foxing' round, I shot several Foxes with it

during it's life with me, none dropped to the shot, that said none got away either, but all needed shooting at least twice, my lesson on this is that as long as the

Fox is close enough (my opinion 60 yards max) then a 17 or for that matter a .22RF will do the job OK, because you can head/heart shoot from that range. But to set out to shoot Fox

whatever and where ever one pops up then the 17 is just not enough gun. I traded mine and got a 22.250 instead,(I had previously had both .223 and 22.250), that's the boy, no

runners from this 22 centrefire bad boy.

But of course Rabbits are not on the menu for the centrefire so it cuts both ways, Rabbits are transformed into 'Davy Crocket Hats' by a 22.250, so I guess it's horses for courses,

if you encounter Fox now and again and from up close your 17 is perfectly OK, if not get a Centrefire. AndyF

• Like 2

I had a 17HMR for 3 years, (At the same time I also had a .22 Rimfire and a .270 Centrefire), I dont think it's a generic 'Foxing' round, I shot several Foxes with it

during it's life with me, none dropped to the shot, that said none got away either, but all needed shooting at least twice, my lesson on this is that as long as the

Fox is close enough (my opinion 60 yards max) then a 17 or for that matter a .22RF will do the job OK, because you can head/heart shoot from that range. But to set out to shoot Fox

whatever and where ever one pops up then the 17 is just not enough gun. I traded mine and got a 22.250 instead,(I had previously had both .223 and 22.250), that's the boy, no

But of course Rabbits are not on the menu for the centrefire so it cuts both ways, Rabbits are transformed into 'Davy Crocket Hats' by a 22.250, so I guess it's horses for courses,

if you encounter Fox now and again and from up close your 17 is perfectly OK, if not get a Centrefire. AndyF

well said :thumbs:

that is why they brought out the 20 grainers the 17 ballistics are not rated as they explode rather than penatrate when they hit bone as thick as fox ribs.i'm sure guys use the 17 grn ones to great affect and im sure the do the job . but the 20s are much better.how are they grouping out of interest compared to the ballistic tips.

I have a CZ "American" the 17gr are pretty much in the same hole at 100 yards but only with Remington ammo. Everything else is a pattern rather than a group. The 20gr CCI gamepoint came in at a shade under an inch at 60 yards off the wing mirror.

that is interesting as i got rid of my anschutz 17 because it grouped 1" at best and i was convinced it was the ammo.i bought the fireball .17 so i can load my own and it groups .20"best so far.when i first got a .17 years ago i could get groups in a 5p at 100,i'm sure there ammo is not what it used to be.

well said :thumbs:

22.250 is def a great fox round thats for sure.

My friend 'upgraded' that calibre to 22.4000 and also built a cracking .20 cal centerfire for foxing!

Neighbour is now looking at a .223 so will have a play with that soon!

Cant wait

South Yorkshire Police do not permit .17HMR (or .22rf) for fox so I can't comment on it's performance although the FEO was adamant they consider it not a large enough calibre for fox.

Like anything if you hit it in the right place most rifles will send the fox tumbling but I find it interesting what Andyf says "none dropped to shot and needed shooting twice" so maybe SY FEO has a point.... :hmm:

Obviously at a decent range and in the right spot HMR or 22 will take care of fox BUT neither of these are designated Fox calibers and I think this should always be taken into consideration. I think anyone who thinks Rimfire is more than enough to bowl foxes over easily at 100 plus yards are deceiving themselves LOL. Was in a gun shop the other day and some idiot was talking about how many foxes his mate had taken out with his HMR the longest shot being 170 yards, Yeah right!!!

Guys, I have taken a fox with the .17hmr at 188yds with a shot to the heart and lungs.

It stopped it instantly in its tracks.

Yes I will admit it was a very long shot for the hmr, but there was no wind and I had just zero'd the gun 20 mins earlier at 100yds and knew the drop, there was no wind so I took the shot.

Bingo.

I wouldn't recommend it for everyday use though on Charlie.

Have a look at some old video or dvd footage of Andre Geogescu in Australia shooting foxes with a 12G and HMR its unreal!!

As is his 'handlining great white shark' escapades!!!

hi mate that isnt a hmr he is using it is a 17 centrefire :gunsmilie:

as for hmr on fox i have shoot a good amount with hmr. but no more then 80 yards. keep the distance down and it will be fine.

i only went for head shots though sideways on between the ear and eye. it soon drops them.

i dont like using hmr for body shots i have done and front of the chest isnt so bad. but side ways on i wouldnt incase it hits the ribs.

it is only a tiny bullet dont forget so there isnt alot of room for error imo that is why i use to head shoot them.

some people say risky shooting at a foxes head incase he moves and you hit a jaw. but i think if you can head shoot a rabbit at 100 yards plus a foxes head is a pretty easy target.

each to there own i guess :thumbs: