What is the best 12 gauge 28 gram Cartridge.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The one you shoot best with! I have great faith in eley Olympics but that's just because I shoot everything with them, pigeons crows game clays. There's no such thing as a bad cartridge, its all in y

I have tried a variety but in truth notice little difference. I feel that there is more variation in gun mounts, stance etc. that will influence your results more than cartridge type until you have co

Fiocchi Top One are noticably better than Eley First at a very similar price.   Have a look here http://www.norgascartridges.co.uk   You will find virtually the full Fiocchi range of cartridges a

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The best cartridge you can buy, is the best one that patterns down your gun, theres no point in buying a 1000 because there cheap, if the lead isnt going where your looking, your just throwing good money away.

Pattern your gun first with as many different cartridges has you can get your hands on, you only need 2 or 3 of each just to see where there shooting.

please let know how you get on and i hope this helps.

The best cartridge you can buy, is the best one that patterns down your gun, theres no point in buying a 1000 because there cheap, if the lead isnt going where your looking, your just throwing good money away.

Spot on, I think most people buy this way instead of buying the correct tool for the job.

• 2 weeks later...

Had some of my best score like 47s and a best of 48 ex 50 on a good testing sporting layout using black gold no wind so I rate the cartridge.

With most cheap firbre wads Ill only hit 40-42s on the same layout (small changes on layout each week).

Wind wont tell you the difference between a good and bad cartridge as inmo your pattern is blowing all over the place, I always used 6s in high wind as Im convinced they pattern better but some clubs will not let you use anything over 28grm and especially not plas wads.

I always say if you consistenty beat your mates on a still day then you are the better shot, the only days Ive drawn level with mates I know I can beat usually is when Im using just any old cartridge and its windy as one mate shoots a 28inch kriegoff with open and open fixed chokes, if we are using the same loads he has a massive advantage in the wind as his pattern must be massive close in as

I tend to choke up my berretta for rangy work where other mates struggle remember spread is not everything shot string can be just as important but cheap loads will contain many deformed pellets.

Im afraid with cartridges you generally get what you pay for

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

it all depends on what image you want to pass on use the expensive stuff if you want to look like you have money and the cheap stuff if you dont care less.

aslong as they all go bang and have shot in them thats good enough. your shooting ability is more important, no cartridge will make it easier to hit a clay.

• 4 months later...

i only shoot a sxs so only use comp x, tried kents and eleys, kick to much for a quick second shot

That's what I use then got convinced to try Hull Super fast which have a much sharper kick. Don't know why I let myself get suckered by a gun shop when the Hull X are good enough.

• 1 month later...

I use whatever I can get my hands on at a decent price and noticed no difference in my shooting but predominantly Eley First or Fiocchi FBlu

However one I know to avoid now for pigeon/crow etc are Aquila 32g 6's, 75% of them pattern tested had a really bad pattern with loads of doubles and trebles with holes as big as 32g 4's