HI I HAVE TWOO HARRIS BIPODS ONE FIXED ONE SWIVEL THE SWIVEL IS A BIT BETTER IN USE THEN I DECIDED FOR MY 22LR I WOULD TRY A CHEAPER VERSION FROM E-BAY (CHINA) AND COST ONLY £21 AS AGAINGST £80+ FOR A HARRIS IT ARRIVED THIS WEEK AND HAVE FITTED IT TO MY GUN AND FOR ME IT WAS £21 WELL SPENT EVEN THOUGH IT IS A FIXED ONE QUALITY NOT TOO BAD BUT FOR THE MONEY WORTH EVRY PENNY SHOT PLACEMENT IS MORE PRECISE WITH IT AND I WOULD CERTAINLY RECOMEND YOU BUYING AND USING ONE WHOSE YOU BUY AS ALLWAYS COMES DOWN TO MONEY IT IS THAT SOMETIMES YOU GET TO FEEL YOU ARE BEING RIPPED OFF IT IS AMAZING WHEN YOU GO INTO WHO MAKES WHAT THAT A LOT MORE OF THE TOP BRANDED PRODUCTS IS BEING MADE IN CHINA ANYHOW

Depends what type of shooting your doing. I only use my .22 lamping from the truck and I don't put one of my bipods on it because it makes it a bit front heavy and unwieldy. I alway keep a pod on my rifles when I am walking with it but I don't do any walking ith my .22 so like I say it depends on how your using your rifle.

ATB

Jonno

cheers for the help and advice folks. going to be doing a bit of bunny bashing so think ill need a bipod to be honest. just need to choose one now :hmm:

As it looks like you decided a bipod is the way to go and I do agree they're very handy on a .22 Lr don't pay the £100-00 plus for a new Harris Bipod on onto Ebay and pick up a copy for about £27-00 works just as well. :thumbs:

Yup.. I agree,, I have a cheapo bipod,, marked as a "Swiss Arms" but made in Chine,, is a copy of the versapod and is better than either the Harris, or in fact the versapod ,,both of which i have on other rifles,, If you can track one down ,,get it,,

ATB

in the process of getting FAC and have picked a .22 rifle to shoot rabbits. Was thinking of getting a bipod for it but guy in gun shop said i wouldnt need one for a .22? is he right?

Oh dear this again!

LOOK lay down absoulutely 'anywhere' on your shoot, if you can see 500 yards in all directions from head height (8>12" above ground) get a Harris Bipod immediatly and NEVER take a shot without using it.

Nice idea but no FU#KING USE in the real world.

If however you can only see 20 feet over the weeds forget it, bipods are for Rifle Ranges, Deserts and Sniper Movies.(Read EVERYWHERE except Bipod city).

Get a Shooting Stix type 'stand up' rest because its the only rest worth a light in a practicle sense! AndyF

in the process of getting FAC and have picked a .22 rifle to shoot rabbits. Was thinking of getting a bipod for it but guy in gun shop said i wouldnt need one for a .22? is he right?

Oh dear this again!

LOOK lay down absoulutely 'anywhere' on your shoot, if you can see 500 yards in all directions from head height (8>12" above ground) get a Harris Bipod immediatly and NEVER take a shot without using it.

If however you can only see 20 feet over the weeds forget it, bipods are for Rifle Ranges, Deserts and Sniper Movies.(Read EVERYWHERE except Bipod city).

Get a Shooting Stix type 'stand up' rest because its the only rest worth a light in a practicle sense! AndyF

A bipod is just a form of rest, as are sticks, a gate post or your elbow on the dirt. I have them on all of my rifles sometimes they get used other times not but if needed they get used to good effect tongue2.gif

Oh dear this again!

Take a chill pill mate!!

Get a bipod and use it where you can,, same as a pair of sticks,, of use only on ground that suits them.

And a bipods a damn site easier to cart about.

ATB

I guess its all about range and how well (steady) you can hold a gun.

Pretty much all of my shooting is of rabbits and I shoot "sniper style", slow and steady.

With a bipod my groups might be, say, better than 1 inch.

Off sticks I am less steady and it might open up to near double that.

Hand held standing up without support I will not shoot anything further than 40 yards away (rabbit chest) as I just cannot hold still enough.

With a bipod head shots at 70 yards using the .22 are the norm.

I have several bipods ranging from cheap and cheerful chinese copies to Harris. My favourite is the Harris with swivel, expensive but you only buy it once. On a tight budget the others are perfectly adequate.

I also use an Idleback shooting seat and that gives me group sizes about twice that of a bipod, not surprising really, a good way of supporting the weight of a rifle fitted with night vision.

A sock filled with rice makes a good and very stable rear support when using a bipod.

As already said by another poster, a bipod (short legs) is only useful when you have short grass or shooting up a slope because as soon as you get down on the ground you can lose sight of the quarry.

I made a steady tripod out of a bench rest and photographic tripod and that enables me to shoot accurately from a standing position. A bit heavy to carry around.

Shooting sticks are ok but mine are of the two legged variety and I am not hugely stable with them.

I have just ordered a (expensive) Bog Pod (Camo) from MidwayUK which looks promising, a three legged tripod, also the shooting rest to go on top. It will be interesting to see if it is any better than my home made arrangement.

This is good advice in my opinion. Recently , i too was thinking of fitting a bipod to my Cz Varmint , as a friend gave me a cheapo one a few years ago and it was never used. However , like andyf stated , it was pretty much useless , because the land on my permission is all over the place and i could barely see over the crops, let alone get a shot at a rabbit.

So i decided to make a set of shooting sticks which give a much better view over the land than the bipod.

These are the sticks i made by following instructions that i found on the Tube. The total cost of these sticks were about £14 and they work perfectly ,

John :thumbs: