Its one and the same persicaria Maculosa, we call it redshank on this side of the pond.

I've been watching a pair of goldies feeding on sunflower hearts which I hung out for them, they are rearing a brood who all visit everyday and they are devouring the sunflower hearts so that may be another food you could offer your pates...

i thought so mate,ive put a bit of persicara,dock and some big dandelions in i found today,theyre pecking at it all but as soon as i walk in the room they start begging and making a racket :thumbs:

well done that hand rearing takes some doing,unless its the crow family :laugh: whats it like being a mum :toast:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its one and the same persicaria Maculosa, we call it redshank on this side of the pond.

I've been watching a pair of goldies feeding on sunflower hearts which I hung out for them, they are rearing a brood who all visit everyday and they are devouring the sunflower hearts so that may be another food you could offer your pates...

i thought so mate,ive put a bit of persicara,dock and some big dandelions in i found today,theyre pecking at it all but as soon as i walk in the room they start begging and making a racket :thumbs:

Have you got an older steady bird you could put in as a mentor? These canary chicks of mine who's mother died were touch and go but I think they learnt off an older canary I put in with them. They were 5 weeks yesterday so I think they will be ok now and are eating normal canary seed.

heres a couple o pics of em in their new home,theyre picking at the seeds and wildfoods but are still reliant on me topping em up 3 times a day :thumbs:

chicks011.jpg

chicks010.jpg

and gnipper,ive already done it mate :thumbs: ive put a spare cock fife in wi em :thumbs:

heres a couple o pics of em in their new home,theyre picking at the seeds and wildfoods but are still reliant on me topping em up 3 times a day :thumbs:

chicks011.jpg

chicks010.jpg

and gnipper,ive already done it mate :thumbs: ive put a spare cock fife in wi em :thumbs:

Looking good mate :notworthy:

• 2 weeks later...

well done craigyboy.can you take a pic of the dropper or syringe and the food you feed them.how many times an hour do you feed thanks :thumbs:

cheers mate :thumbs: i get my syringes off a dairy farmer,they contain orbeseal,dry cow intramammary infusion,once hes used em he gives em to me,i find them ideal as the ends are very small,you can see the end of it in one o the pics and i use nutribird a21 by versele-laga,they use it to handrear parrots but itl do any bird, the feeding times vary,it depends what im doing,sometimes they can get 4 feeds in an hr and sometimes they might get one,2 or 3 :thumbs:

Edited by craigyboy

chicks011.jpg

chicks010.jpg

Cracking stuff Craigy :notworthy:... looking good mate.

cheers craigy for the advice :thumbs: how much of the syringe do you count as a feed per bird

not a probs mate :thumbs: i wouldnt say i use the syringe as a guide,i feed em just enough so i can see its crop starting to swell but seeing as youve asked ive just looked at the syringes and it says contains 4g of paste,if thats the case,then 3 of em started taking a quarter to half a syringe between em per feed rising to a full syringe between em per feed as they grew :thumbs: if thats any help :blink:

forgot to add mate,when it comes to feeding baby birds by far the best way is little and often :thumbs:

Edited by craigyboy

Absolutly Brilliant thread.. :boogie: ..im cluless with captive british finch's but i started reading this thread and i could not stop till i finished which is rare for me and my attention span.. :laugh: .i think you are one of a kind in a good way.. :thumbs:

Absolutly Brilliant thread.. :boogie: ..im cluless with captive british finch's but i started reading this thread and i could not stop till i finished which is rare for me and my attention span.. :laugh: .i think you are one of a kind in a good way.. :thumbs:

thanks alot mate :thumbs: heres a few pics i took tonight,they have totally outgrown me now :( now they can eat for themselves they totally disregard me..ungrateful little feckers :laugh::thumbs:

chicks014.jpg

chicks015.jpg

chicks012.jpg