just thought i'd put a few pics up of some goldie chicks im handrearing,the hen stopped feeding em and went down again so im their surrogate mum for a while,a few folk have asked for pics so here you are :thumbs:

chicks001.jpg

chicks004.jpg

chicks002.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done and best of luck getting them on the sticks,as they say.What are you feeding them and how often?.

cheers all :thumbs: il keep pics coming,it wont be long before theyre on the sticks,i feed em verse laga handrearing food but il be giving em some waxworms and mealworms aswell :thumbs:

Brilliant mate, they'd be ideal ones for me next season :whistling:;)

not a problem mate :thumbs: i do enjoy handrearing but in this case i wish i wasnt,ive had the hen to these chicks for 5 yrs and she is by far the best hen ive had,she rears 8-10 chicks every year and hasnt lost a one :notworthy: so for her to leave this clutch makes me a bit worried,i love this bird but summat tells me alls not reet :(:thumbs:

Brilliant mate, they'd be ideal ones for me next season :whistling:;)

not a problem mate :thumbs: i do enjoy handrearing but in this case i wish i wasnt,ive had the hen to these chicks for 5 yrs and she is by far the best hen ive had,she rears 8-10 chicks every year and hasnt lost a one :notworthy: so for her to leave this clutch makes me a bit worried,i love this bird but summat tells me alls not reet :(:thumbs:

Hopefully she'll be ok mate. I've just had a canary hen kick the bucket just after her first round fledged and it was touch and go wether they'd make it without her but I think they will be ok now fingers crossed.

just thought i'd put a few pics up of some goldie chicks im handrearing,the hen stopped feeding em and went down again so im their surrogate mum for a while,a few folk have asked for pics so here you are :thumbs:

chicks001.jpg

chicks004.jpg

chicks002.jpg

well done craigyboy keep you on your toes for a bit mate

Great to see Craigy, a credit to you......

cheers mate,they are time consuming but well worth it,im up at 5 every morning to feed em,they go to work wi me in the van infact they go everywhere wi me :thumbs: and fireman ive no idea what happened to the hen,thats the fecking joys of birdkeeping :wallbash::thumbs:

i fecking knew summat was wrong :wallbash: gone into the aviary this morning about 6am and the goldie hen was dead sitting on one egg :wallbash: fecking gutted,ive put the one egg under a yellowhammer,gutted :censored:

Nightmare Craigy! its funny with all these birds how somtimes you can sense somthing not quite right. I had a problem with a young Goshawk in the nest this year, I put it back with its parents at 4 days and went in at 9 days to ring them, two days later I heard one twittering in the nest but somtimes you can put this down to one being a bit cold, anyway! I thought I better go in the aviary and check! it turns out the chick had a small twig from the nest lodged under its ring, unfortunatly the bird had twisted round and round breaking its leg :cry:.

to cut a long story short it was a clean break but with alot of swelling around the foot and leg area, I put it straight on Amoxycillin and the good thing is the bird is now doing well 6 days on with the leg splinted nice and straight and Re-Fused and the swelling nearly completely disapeared, having soft bones at this age has helped with the healing :thumbs:.

the annoying thing is I wanted it to be Parent Reared but its now going to be Imprinted and a keeper.

Good luck with the Goldies mate! you making a cracking job :notworthy:. always loved the british finches and had a couple of mules but now only have a Canary left which is now around 7.

Jasp