Tracer LEDRAY GL4 Tactical Gun Lamp

Hi all

I'm looking to purchase a scope mounted lamp for general pest control (rabbits and the like) and keep coming back to this model as the most likely however thought I'd see if anyone has ever had any experience with it?

For some background, I'm new to hunting and have only recently bought my first rifle so I'm really looking for something with the range that something like the Jetbeam BC40 (a review of which I found on this site) hence why I was looking at this one. Budget wise, I'm not really wanting to spend more than £80-100.

Any feedback would be gratefully received.

Cheers all

Nick

Hi all

I'm looking to purchase a scope mounted lamp for general pest control (rabbits and the like) and keep coming back to this model as the most likely however thought I'd see if anyone has ever had any experience with it?

For some background, I'm new to hunting and have only recently bought my first rifle so I'm really looking for something with the range that something like the Jetbeam BC40 (a review of which I found on this site) hence why I was looking at this one. Budget wise, I'm not really wanting to spend more than £80-100.

Cheers all

Nick

i used one on my aa s410, it did the job perfect, i went for the red led as i saw the white led with the red cap n it was shit :), white was good if you want to just use white but i would go for the red led!. and just sold it for £40, cheers and good luck, i might be able to get you a second hand one for ruffley the same price if you are in need.. cheers jack pm if you want me to have a ring about

i used one on my aa s410, it did the job perfect, i went for the red led as i saw the white led with the red cap n it was shit :), white was good if you want to just use white but i would go for the red led!. and just sold it for £40, cheers and good luck, i might be able to get you a second hand one for ruffley the same price if you are in need.. cheers jack pm if you want me to have a ring about

Hi Jack

Thanks for the reply. When you say the red cap was "ineffectual" ;) what do you mean? I ask because I'm looking to get a white light with a flip-up red filter. I spotted that LEDRAY also do the tactical 400 model which I have to say does look really good for that little bit more but I don't like the idea of having to phyiscally insert the different coloured filters behind the screw on bezel. This means you cant instantly change from one colour to another. I did wonder though whether the standard LEDRAY flip-up filters will work with the 400 model too?? Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

I think you'll find with led, filters are not as effective as they cut out to much light, hence buying the red led to start. You may want to look at a deben max lamp, light, not to big and not to costly and a pretty impressive beam with the choice of flip up filters making it easy to swap between white or filtered light. I use one but I also use lightforce and a LED torch.

Edit: Have a look here you don't really need a lithium battery as the max doesn't have a massive drain on the battery I believe they have a 50w bulb so a small lead acid battery will suffice, all within your buget to!

Here you go scroll down to deben gun lights and accesories then Deben Tracer Max 400m Scope Mounted 12 V Lamping Kit

http://www.opticswarehouse.com/acatalog/Lights_and_Lamps.html

Edited by sako

I think you'll find with led, filters are not as effective as they cut out to much light, hence buying the red led to start. You may want to look at a deben max lamp, light, not to big and not to costly and a pretty impressive beam with the choice of flip up filters making it easy to swap between white or filtered light. I use one but I also use lightforce and a LED torch.

Hi Sako

Again, thanks for the advice. The amount of light-loss was one of my concerns however like I said, ideally I'd like to have a white light that I can switch to red when I need to. The idea of carrying around a separate torch aswell sounds awkward. I'm not really expecting to ever have anyone else out with me you see so that's why I'm looking for something that is small and self contained power-wise. The Deben max lamps is another set that I looked at but because of the bulky power pack, I was put off.

I get the feeling that I'm likely to have to compromise a bit and either give up a bit of light quality or cart around extra items :o(

Hi Sako

Again, thanks for the advice. The amount of light-loss was one of my concerns however like I said, ideally I'd like to have a white light that I can switch to red when I need to. The idea of carrying around a separate torch aswell sounds awkward. I'm not really expecting to ever have anyone else out with me you see so that's why I'm looking for something that is small and self contained power-wise. The Deben max lamps is another set that I looked at but because of the bulky power pack, I was put off.

I get the feeling that I'm likely to have to compromise a bit and either give up a bit of light quality or cart around extra items :o(

I don't think you understood me about the seperate torch. If Im out with a lamp man lightforce blitz, if Im out with nv I use a led torch for scanning rough cover quickly and if Im out alone with a lamp it's deben max pro.

When Im out with the max I use flip up filters enabling me to spot with the white when looking longer distances then switch to red if necessary. Again I sometimes scan and shoot with amber or green as they let more light through than the red filter.

As for carrying around extra items I used to carry a 17ah lead acid battery around as that's what I used with my blitz but was overkill for the max. I had no problem carrying this and with the gun on your back the max just turns in it's plastic mount if it gets knocked. Is easy to just twist back in line when you want to shoot next as long as you have a 25mm scope.

I really wouldn't worry about carrying a battery for the lamp especially a 7ah one, if you are concerned save a little more and buy a lithium. I now use a 22ah lithium which is probably a little lighter than the 7ah lead acid but not much.

There isn't an LED torch good enough to shoot 400yrds at night unless you are going to spend £300+ on it and as I haven't risked that yet I can't tell you how they perform against a battery pack halogen lamp.

BUT there are many happy users of gun mounted led torches out to 200yrds so if it's imperitive to have no wires then go for a torch but if you want to change filters my choice would be for a 12v halogen with battery pack.

Hi all

Cheers all

Nick

You don't mention what sort of rifle you have . I use the GL4 with standard red beam . It is fine-almost ideal- for air-rifle shooting. I have used it on my .22 rimfire but to be honest despite the claim that it sends a beam 120 yards picking out targets in the red beam at much over half that distance was'nt that easy .I was'nt convinced that the rabbits were that fooled by the red beam either . maybe LED gives a different type of light ?.

To be honest I use it mostly for spotting jasper nests these days .

You don't mention what sort of rifle you have . I use the GL4 with standard red beam . It is fine-almost ideal- for air-rifle shooting. I have used it on my .22 rimfire but to be honest despite the claim that it sends a beam 120 yards picking out targets in the red beam at much over half that distance was'nt that easy .I was'nt convinced that the rabbits were that fooled by the red beam either . maybe LED gives a different type of light ?.

To be honest I use it mostly for spotting jasper nests these days .

So I'm using a .22 Gamo Socom 1000 with a 3-9x40 scope. Again, I have to admit to being quite a novice at this stage so I'm not necessarily looking for huge distance. I was doing some target practise again last night and found that past more than 30-35 meters I was beginning to lose the accuracy required to perform headshots so for the time being at least I'm not really going to need a lamp that puts Blackpool illuminations to shame ;)

Sounds like you need an LED torch like the tracer ledray gl4 tactical gun lamp! :laugh::thumbs:

Dude you're sooooooo funny! :wallbash:

No have to be honest and say thanks for your help with this guys. I've been looking back and forth between everything for the last few days so hopefully now my mind is made up. Well until so smart alec comes along and say "well actually I use one of these ***** and they're great!" at which point It'll be a case of :doh:

Sounds like you need an LED torch like the tracer ledray gl4 tactical gun lamp! :laugh::thumbs:

Dude you're sooooooo funny! :wallbash:

No have to be honest and say thanks for your help with this guys. I've been looking back and forth between everything for the last few days so hopefully now my mind is made up. Well until so smart alec comes along and say "well actually I use one of these ***** and they're great!" at which point It'll be a case of :doh:

Look before you dive in there is an LED torch from UK hunting supplies it's 900 lumen short and light comes with batteries and charger but it's £20 over budget. Have a look it wasn't quite bright enough for me but was good value for money, here's a link................

http://www.ukhuntingsupplies.co.uk/lamps-lamping-calls/tactical-900-gun-light-kit-400mtr-beam

I forgot to add that the squeezy "tactical" ,pressure activated palm switch on my Ledray was /is junk !. Mind of its own . I know modern electical gadgets are not cheap but the Ledray is overpriced as far as I'm concerned .All said and done its just a torch with a clamp and a fancy switch . :whistling:

Sako, Commanche & Edenman, thanks for your replies they are certainly all very useful even if it is leaving me with the problem of now finding something else.

So from the bad points regarding the pressure switch and barrel glare I think I've made my mind up to look elsewhere so if anyone has any ideas on what to get I'd be grateful for the info.

To repeat, I'm looking for a scope mountable torch with a self contained battery (not carry pary) with the ability to flick from white to red instanstly. Distance/brightness, I'm looking for something that will provide good vision for upto 100 meters, anything more is a bonus but not a necessity.

Cheers all!!

Nick

This is well outwith your budget and some on here dont like it. However, I've been using it constantly now for a few months, mostly for shooting foxes, and on the odd occasion Roe at dusk when the scope loses definition.

Its way too expensive, however none of the scope mounted lights come close to it for range & definition. You'd need to go back to using a Lightforce or Gen3 NV.

If you are flush, and can live with the mount (crap) then it would tick all your boxes including the need for filtering - you wont need it! There is also no glare from the barrel.

Hope this helps:

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/198650-laser-genetics-nd3x50-review/page__p__2011316__hl__nd3x50__fromsearch__1#entry2011316

PS: I'm still using the orignial self contained batteries - god only knows how many hours its been running now ! I've bought spare rechargeables from fleabay (£4 including charger) but I've never had to use them yet !

Edited by fireblade_rrw