Best .22 pellets for getting rabbits?

Mate don't usually comment on these sort of threads but come on " I'll stick to real guns",, really?. I've been in the forces so before you comment Idon't know what real guns are think on . We all have our place in this sport whether it's air rifle owners who yes can take rabbits up to 50yrds humanely or big men like your self with real guns. I find that the FAC guys I know are comfortable with what I shoot and what they shoot with equal respect. Not one of them belittle the capabilities of what I use and are educated enough not to get into cock measuring exercises of who's best. I have many a time seen a so called real gun wound just as much as anything else. It all comes down to the skills or lack of them of the shooter and bigger doesn't always mean better. Also if it starts to come down to legislation, of who looses their rights first, then at the end of it we will be the last affected and still holding our lowly air rifles, whilst you will be holding you cock. these are purely my views and you have yours, so we shall have to agree to disagree.

To go back to the original point;

This debate started, with folk on here almost pleased that when taking shots with a pellet gun at distances of ~60yds they werent getting clean kills.

That translates to either they arent good enough, or the choice of weapon isnt up to the job.

In my opinion, a pellet gun isnt up to taking rabbits cleanly at distances of 60yds, and hence suggested that a more appropriate weapon is used. ie a .22 rim fire.

If you dont like my opinion fine, but resorting to abuse means defacto, youve lost the argument.

By admitting on an open forum that pellet gun users have a very low clean kill ratio, does the sport, and field sports in general no good. All your doing is giving the government ammunition to legislate.

Edited by fireblade_rrw

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He said that himself personally wouldn't. I ask where you live, as I would take you out and educate u , to put a stop to the shit your spouting on here. As regards to success rate..everyone misses

Ps, 3 ft lb is need to dispatch a rabbit apparently..my gun set at 660fps with 11.4 gr slug, still has nearly 4 ft lb of energy at 120 yards...I'm not saying I would, but power is there, accuracy is p

Mate don't usually comment on these sort of threads but come on " I'll stick to real guns",, really?. I've been in the forces so before you comment Idon't know what real guns are think on . We all hav

I will start by saying that I suppose that I was a little sensitive about the "real guns" remark and that I do agree with the point you made in your last post. I do not agree that killing a rabbit cleanly at 60yrds is fantasy though. I have; and it was only on one occasion, taken a rabbit at that range and it dropped quite nicely. Now I am not saying that everyone should go out and blast away at ranges they are not capable of , but if you know your range and your kit well then now and again shots like these are in fact plausible. Each side of our chosen sport has it's place and should be given equal respect by the other. I also apologise openly if offence was given.

• Like 1

dude get some jsb exacts or air arms field they are excellent in my gun.

get some range time with them punching paper 15 - 40 yards once you get good groups you will be fine say half inch groups at least under and inch.

use a good rest and aim behind the eye of the rabbit.

you will be fine.

good luck

Edited by riflehunter583
  • Like 1

Interesting post with some great points of view. I was brought up on airguns as a young lad in the 60's and 70's. Super tools for short range bunny hunting. Then the PCP came along, these guns added another dimension especially in .177.

BUT compared to the .22LR rimfire shooting a .22 40gr hollowpoint the average airgun isn't in the same league.

• Like 1

Fireblade where are you from mate? You sound totally clueless regards to airgun hunting, and quite obviously NEVER done anything with them.

Where i'm from is relevant? I've used airguns loads, and claiming a clean kill at 60 yards with a pellet gun is quite simply fantasy land.

Of course, you obviously know more than me........

Not exactly fantasy land as most days I take pigeons on my property at 65 yards cleanly with a 12 ft/lb .177 Daystate air rifle.

You obviously have no real first hand experience of modern, consistent PCPs

• Like 1

You need to test a variety of pellets in your rifle for accuracy and power ,you will need to be able to put a pellet consistantly in the kill zone i.e. bull on target and chrono your rifle with each type on ce you find one accurate enough , if you can,t hit the kill zone you should,nt shoot beyond that range ,as no two rifles are the same a test pack is good idea for pellets >

Sorry but I'm struggling with the 'anything less than a clean kill' ! If you aren't killing cleanly, then clearly you are using the wrong equipment. I doubt searching for another 'pellet' will improve the situation.

The airgun you are using isn't up to the job, therefore I'd advise reappraising how you are shooting rabbits ie get a firearms certificate and buy a proper .22 !

I worded that wrongly, 3/5 kills are clean, I've applied for my firearms, and the gun I'm using is fine for the rabbits, just want a pellet that's more suitable, maybe a bit more range than the Pest Control's are giving that have a bit more penetration power.

Oh yeah, Thanks for the help.

Air rifles are more than capable of killing rabbits cleanly out to 70yds, but for the average persons ability anything over 50yds and they are guessing/hoping.

I went through a phase of buying every type of pellet and doing extensive testing on expansion and penetration, and later on wound channel. In my opinion, at air rifle velocities pellet choice makes very little actual difference - it is about shot placement and range (energy of pellet on impact).

Choose a pellet that gives you the best accuracy in your rifle. Mid weight round nose pellets usually give the best compromise of trajectory and stability in the wind.

Draw a 1/4 inch circle and work out the maximum range you can hit this 100% of the time - this is your maximum range. Then work out where your pellet strikes (high/low) at the ranges inbetween your maximum range. I prefer a 177 cal as it is flatter.

Once you're accurate it's about shot placement, which is what a lot of people get wrong. Personally unless they are FAC rated I don't feel air rifles should be used for anything other than head shots. There are actually 2 places about a 1/4" big on a rabbits head that will drop it instantly:

- the atlas joint which connects the skull to the spinal collumn, this is where I aim when the rabbit is facing away from me. In the field if you misjudge range it can go high or low half an inch and still sever spinal cord or hit brain.

- the skull half an inch below the base of the front of the ear (when viewing side on).

Next time you shoot a rabbit keep the head, bury it in the compost heap or ground for a few weeks, then hose off (meat and fur should all be rotted off or eaten by bugs). You will see where the brain resides and where the skull is thin and likely to shatter from pellet impact - a pellet taking in bone fragments does much more damage.

Take into consideration that as you go further out the pellet will lose energy and will also be dropping down onto the quarry - in the days before my FAC my 70yd shots would be aimed almost half an inch higher so that the pellet bisected the centre of the kill area as it went in. I would stress though that I was shooting 4-5 hours a day 5 days a week when I was at this level.

Enjoy your air rifle at ranges that suit you, and if you find your range isn't big enough then apply for an FAC rated air rifle or .22lr/.17hmr

Happy hunting :)

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the previous post by NoM8s

Shot placement is vital with an air rifle as there is not enough force in the pellet to do much collateral damage.

It is surprising how quickly a rabbit can react to the sound of a pellet (or .22lr sub) being fired and it can move a significant distance (half an inch is significant) between the pellet leaving the rifle barrel and hitting the target.

That is another reason for not over reaching yourself and 50 yards is probably too far for many people.

I like the statement "Draw a 1/4 inch circle and work out the maximum range you can hit this 100% of the time - this is your maximum range."

Gunvidder put a nice little video on youtube showing a rabbit skull and where to aim.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I've been using Bisley Rabbit stoppers and Magnum's since I had an air rifle and never used anything else for hunting, the magnums didn't seem to pack enough punch and rarely get a clean kill, the Rabbit stoppers have enough punch there, and leave a good hole, but are only good for short range. Was just wondering what everybody here uses and reccomends. It's a Gamo shadow 1000 I've got, and to be honest, the only thing I can fault is the trigger mechanism and the moulded rear sight.

Thanks, Laurence

The Rabbitstoppers are only really made for FAC rifles,thats why a sub 12ft rifle will only be effective at short range.I have some pellets for sale in the classifieds that are made for hunting and are accurate at 30 yards.Made by JSB who make the exact,its a hollowpoint with a polymer spike.If you buy the lot i will do them postage free,and will throw in 50 bisley long range gold and 50 Barracudas for you to try gratis.

Whilst on the subject of headshots,buy one of the spinning targets of e bay and zero your rifle every day/outing.They are less than a tenner and youll keep your eye in and get your moneys worth too!.

It takes a bigger man to admit his mistakes and ask for help,than to be a childish fool behind a keyboard!. ;)

Edited by bwfc

dont know if this thread is still going but the pellets you are using are to heavy for a spring gun, in a pcp they will work slow heavy but full power .In a spring gun the pellets you are using will have a very low power level when you shoot them .You have to use light pellets that are accurate in your gun giving you good power and accuracy.

I'd say go for speed over weight.

I had a .22 pre-charged air rifle that was factory certified at 11.96 ftlbs and verified at my local gunshop, and I shot some rabbits from my vehicle from around 15 feet using 30 grain pellets - I thought heavier pellets would be better and cause much greater energy transference. I was wrong!

Practially every head shot, right between the eyes, failed to kill and I had to get out of the vehicle, re-load and re-shoot from point blank. After 3 shots like this, I decided the gunwasn't up to the job (although in fairness it was probably the ammo), and I stopped shooting with it and sold it. I'm not into injurying things.

Moral of the story, air guns are marginal as killing tools for rabbit sized targets at non FAC powers and pellet choice is critical. To this end I'd go with a standard weight pellet with a flat head and avoid the heavier weight hunting varieties as clearly velocity is more important that out and out weight when it comes to killing power at these levels.

Edited by Alsone

rabbits at 15ft shot with a 11.96 ft lb betwen the eyes and it never killed them ????

Moral of the story, air guns are marginal as killing tools for rabbit sized targets at non FAC (your words)

heres my words ........." your full of bull " ......try stamp collecting ...."IDIOT"