decoying

leighton

Guest houndblair

Decoying is good fun :victory: ! The best method i would use would be to set them up as if they are feeding or foraging, This should be set up where your most likely to find them feeding for example in Orchards. I would normaly set up around 2-8 for maggys but for crows try around 15-20. But if you dont have very many then dont worry once you shoot a few use em!

Oh and dont go putting them right by your hide so they have a better chance of noticing you!

And if you have not yet bought any decoys try the website i have included below.

www.decoying.co.uk

www.pigeon-decoys.co.uk

Or if you have countrywide stores near you then they normaly have a good selection of deycoys and calls!!

BEST OF LUCK :clapper:

Edited by houndblair

I use three magpie decoys one feeding on a bird and the other two moving in about 2-3 ft apart i find shooting a pigeon best put it on its back showing its breast and pull its feathers out a few to expose the flesh leave feathers to blow around the more natual the better .

and find somewhere to hide in a hedge or bush best.

keep your ears up you will hear them before you see them magpies are very curious its there down fall . try for head shots if you can ive shot a magpiein the chest at close range and watch it fly off :angry:

its now dead 3 shots to kill him in the end :hunter:

Firstly you need a hide I mean a good hide with a top on built from local material. You need to get rear access to this hide.

It needs to be situated below a good tree which the birds will spend time looking from have a good scout around the ground your shooting over with a pair of binoculars they are easy to spot. Bird muck on the floor and lower branches always give it away.

The most affective way to decoy is a dead rabbit gutted in place and lead belly up. Place it on the ground at 30yds in the morning don`t stay in the hide go and have a bit of breakfast. Return in the afternoon and watch how the birds behave from a safe distance with binoculars

The morning of the shoot arrive before dawn bait with fresh rabbit and they will be there if you have picked the correct tree you will get a stream of maggies most of the day don`t leave the hide and keep quiet they have excellent eye site.

Leave dead birds out and get ready straight away some times they go ballistic and the sight of a bird being shot.

I have used a bright cuddly toy on a piece of string and twitch it this also sends them crazy.

A small owl decoy in the right place does tend to take away their attention when they gang up on it.

A rabbit squealer is very affective just suck air in through your fingers and make a loud squealing noise.

All the above do work but the most important factor is concealment ask a friend to stand by the bunny/decoy and try to spot you if he can maggies will of done it from 105yds away.

Hope this helps

A maggie is top of the list in my eyes.

Simon

Edited by porkypowell
When i was flying the harris she was constantly getting mobbed of crow's and maggies on some part's of the land i was flying.. other part's they where fecking of as soon as the bird was loose ..

It's just a daft thought but what about a bird of prey decoy or better still a stuffed one if you could get hold of it..

Millet

LITTLE owl flapping decoy will do the trick :thumbs-up: