Sign in to follow this  
john robbo

Bucks fever kicks in

They are both home loads.

The .223 isnt mine.

I have a .222 mag, 22250,6.5x55 and 7mm.

I tend to use factory these days.

York guns had some federal premium loaded with nosler partition- they were £64.95 for 20.

I got trophy bonded bear claw for £45. :icon_eek:

The .223 isnt mine.

York guns had some federal premium loaded with nosler partition- they were £64.95 for 20.

Wow the federals are expensive! icon_eek.gif

I take it you got the trophy bonded bear claws at a good price.

Would home loads not work out cheaper? I hope so because that's the route lm taking.

cheers Callum

Edited by mangy1983

The .223 isnt mine.

Wow the federals are expensive! icon_eek.gif

I take it you got the trophy bonded bear claws at a good price.

Would home loads not work out cheaper? I hope so because that's the route lm taking.

cheers Callum

The bonded B.C. were the right money.

I do use handloads, but its a time issue I only really H.L for the 22250 and that is for ultimate accuracy, not price.

The .223 isnt mine.

:shok: That must have made a Yorkshireman's eyes water at that price :cry::cry::tongue2:

Just out of curiousity John what do you throw at roe through the 7mm ?

ATB

Alan.

In handloads a 150gr partition.

Factory RWS 162 conepoints or any bonded bullet.

the limited expansion rounds leave less then a golf ball exit as the are a little "hard" for small deer.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By JimRun
      I have seen Lurchers used for bits of roughshooting but nothing on them tracking deer. Just wondering if anyone here had any stories or information.
    • By Yokel Matt
      After seeming to spend most of the weekend messing about I managed to get out this evening and extended an invite to a fella I work with who has a young dog he’s gundog training. He lives near a bit of ground I shoot and his 10 mth bitch was making good progress so I said bring her along if he wanted. It would make a nice change to have the security blanket of a dog to help you find those last light runners!
      Anyway, we did a bit of walking - the dog saw something I didn’t but I didn’t realise til a roe was bounding away. After that the dog needed another mile to calm itself down!
      Got to a nice observation point just before last light and had just got comfortable when an adult doe and Buck still in hard antler came bounding into the field. They relaxed and began to graze, obviously by themselves. The dog was unsighted when doe took the 6.5 square in the chest and dropped on the spot. We took the dog to where the deer entered the field and fair play to her she went straight to it... handy👍. 
      Another plus point was my mate was there to drag it up the hill! Now that’s a result! She was a nice plump doe... made the fella sweat some!

• By foxdropper
      Up to see in the dawn which promised to be a decent day . Got to a local perm in plenty of time to evaluate the wind and where to head for first . The very first field held what appeared to be a tiny button buck on its own and just what I needed for a chap I’m working for at the moment who’s been pestering for a beast . Easy stalk to within 70 yards , deer feeding slowly away unaware . On sticks and back of the head shot to which 8 more explode from the hedge including a buck still in hard antler . No point in dropping anymore today so watched them move on into next field . Just about to start gralloch when 3 more came trotting down the hedge towards me a doe and two followers . Few about here  it’s seems . Gralloched the youngster during which I decided to break the H bone , yes I know spelling lol He was a bit shitty around back end and to avoid the knife. Getting soiled that was the best practice I felt . Pushed down as I’ve done many times and the knife snaps , an outdoors swing blade which I favour over the rest tbh . Luckily I wasn’t cut but could have been . Will be contacting them ASAP I think . Saw several more deer including a munty which I would of had if it never rumbled  me at 150 yds . Cracking morning . Lovely sun rise and a deer . What else is there to life 👍🏻

• By Mickey Finn
      This was a strange buck. I have some permission on a small farm owned by two of the best people I've ever met. So, when I stop by to visit the conversation runs pretty long. This means I get set up late in my stand. I use a climber so this has to be packed out and set up. I was sitting on the corner of standing corn, and the wood lot. There were just enough acorns falling to maybe entice a few deer to leave the corn. About 20 minutes into my sit I saw this guy and I thought I would pass. But he lingered in the area and attacked every deer that tried to cross from the corn to the acorns. We are talking maybe 6 or 7 deer. As the light faded he moved to the corner of the corn and made a scrape. That's all I could take. So, I slowly stood up and as quietly as I could I switched around so I was facing the tree and could shoot to the corn side. Well just then he moved off and jumped a fence to the neighboring property. Then he jumped back and seemed to be following my trail past my blind? So, as quietly as I could I slowly turned around yet again facing into the wood lot. As soon as I was in position there he was and I let fly. I heard a perfect thwack and he jumped like he should and ran about 30 feet to the edge of the corn. There he attacked another deer I had not seen and simply stood there. After I while I got to thinking I screwed up somehow and better shoot him again. Sooo, I rummaged around in my pockets as quietly as I could and found My pull cord. (I'm using a crossbow) and pulled another bolt from my quiver. I had to raise my 57 yo old leg up and over the rifle rest on my stand and insert my foot in the brace to pull the string back to cock it. No sooner had I pulled it back and he bolted into the corn. (I hate corn) I heard him tearing up things in there and thought great he attacking another deer. But it was his death throws and I found him without too much trouble.
      This was my first ever gut shot so I did screw up.

• By StockmanSporting

2 Big Roe bucks shot with a Sako a7 in .308 using 150gr Hornady bullets. Swarovski Z4i & ELRange.
      We are on the hunt this week for Roe Bucks. Good numbers of deer on this ground showing some huge heads. In this video we show a great trophy buck taken and a smaller 6 pointer as well.

The first buck is a cracking buck still in its youth and the second is only a couple years old but has thrown tremendous antlers for such a young animal.

We spotted a big trophy on the same ground earlier in the morning but have decided to leave that for someone else to pull the trigger!