Buying from the States.

My wife asked the same question of me a few days ago, asking if i would be able to buy and import a shotgun the next time we go on holiday.....I dont know all the answers but do know that if you order anything from the states there is an import and an export tax........it can end up being similar priced to the uk after paying both those...........the answer i dont know is if you were out there anyway, bought it for yourself and brought it back with you rather than importing it by itself if you would still have to pay those taxes.....but i dont think they are in our mutual proof agreements and so you would need the gun proofing in the uk also (extra hassle and cost)

I purchased a Simmons scope whilst on holiday in Florida once. Managed to get it for around £40 cheaper than the UK. All was fine until I went through airport security upon departure. It showed up on the xray in my suit case, they went through every item of luggage I had with a fine tooth comb, right pain in the arse it was and this was years before 9/11 too. I would hate to think what they would be like now with anything to do with firearms. Buying anything from abroad you always run the risk of import duty however and it may be worth buying from UK anyway to avoid all the hastle.

I purchased a Simmons scope whilst on holiday in Florida once. Managed to get it for around £40 cheaper than the UK. All was fine until I went through airport security upon departure. It showed up on the xray in my suit case, they went through every item of luggage I had with a fine tooth comb, right pain in the arse it was and this was years before 9/11 too. I would hate to think what they would be like now with anything to do with firearms. Buying anything from abroad you always run the risk of import duty however and it may be worth buying from UK anyway to avoid all the hastle.

It says on Virgin Atlantic, your permitted to carry shotguns aslong as it's checked in as baggage not carry on, and you have paperwork to legally have it (I'm guessing that's your certificate??)

So is it possible to buy and fly back with? If so I'm getting one next time I'm over

I am interested in buying a Savage Edge 223 for foxing.

The prices in the States appear to be way below what they are here.

What is involved in purchasing firearms from the States??

If you are a member, contact BASC they should have all the answers :whistling:

LD

You are looking at two different things here, one is buying and importing 'something' from outside UK and importing it, 20% VAT and import duty for a start.

BUT two it's a firearm, remember you can't even take a hatpin of a bottle of water on the plane, I recall that such things need to be notified to the airline

ahead of the flight and most budget carriers don't allow firearms (not because they oppose guns it's just to much hassle).

Then I can imagine the 'official' reception a Gatwick!!

I went to Tennessee Wild Boar Hunting a couple of years ago and initially thought I'd like to take my own Rifle, but it was just to much grief, I used the lodge

rifles instead.

Why not relocate to Texas permenently, you can have anything you like there?

AF

If you are a member, contact BASC they should have all the answers :whistling:

LD

also if your not a member, contact BASC and they should have all the answers :D

01244 573010

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/

I've read up on it the past couple of days and your allowed to go over on holiday for example, buy a shotgun (you mist take your sgc) and bring it back with you provided you have it in a secure manner and checked into the luggage (not hand luggage) once landed you walk through uk customs and declare it, they will put it in your licence and you may have to pay tax on it.

Posting from the states?? f**k knows haha

I've read up on it the past couple of days and your allowed to go over on holiday for example, buy a shotgun (you mist take your sgc) and bring it back with you provided you have it in a secure manner and checked into the luggage (not hand luggage) once landed you walk through uk customs and declare it, they will put it in your licence and you may have to pay tax on it.

Posting from the states?? f**k knows haha

Sorry to dash your hopes but it is against federal law for a non resident to buy a firearm in the US and it is against the law for a resident to buy one for you.If you get caught they are quite happy to jail you this would mean no more disney holidays

Geordie