whats the best type of dogs to bore hunt with

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D could be that boar hunting has not taken off here yet and no one knows much about it i an interested

in the subject but i got no replyes eather on another web site when i posted a thread about it

as if defra are right there will be thousens of the swine romeing free in the next couple of years

depends what sort of country your hunting, open paddocks need a faster type dog- great dane x or staghound/wolfhound x.

Thick scrub needs a smaller stockier dog (not too small), hot humid areas aren't the best for a hairyer/cooler climate type dog.

Some blokes like to have a good looking 'tough' type of dog to show off when they aren't catching pigs!!

I love running dogs-staghounds, wolfhounds, deerhounds so I like to have some of that in the makeup of the dogs I use.

Bull terriers, pitbulls, ridgebacks, boxers, labradors, kelpies, collies, mastiffs and great danes are just some of the dogs used- alot of dogs probably have all those breeds in them somewhere too!!!

• 3 months later...
love to see some picture of the kinda dogs you use and what the are

Think I use what you guys basically call a lurcher, or something very simmillar. Australians use different dogs because a lot of their hunting they drive too, here (new zealand) we walk, and the dogs can go,miles so hard on dogs use bailing dogs. My main dog is a Whippet/Greyhound over a greyhound/bully with a touch of catahoula.

image58202128.jpg

wife on one of her first hunts, she wanted the pig to get away... Was a stroppy little mongrel

image63212216.jpg

Little one that won us $300 at local contest, was a surprise

image6321163.jpg

Same pig with little less go in him

image525225821.jpg

Had to put a little bit better lookin one in, was caught with the whippet x but don't have that many photos of him, bit camera shy.. Lots of video footage of him on my website www.lifesaboar.com

This is my mate Aaron who works as my packhorse (carries everything)

with your hunting laws you fellas might be better of with finder bailer type dogs we got this dog to to use as that type of dog but he has turned out just as hard as any any of our other dogs.

Bit of an unfair generalisation L.A.B. Ive worn out plenty of pairs of boots working the hills over here.

Lifesaboar thats a fine pig you had,I only dream of such sport here in Ireland,.......oh yeah the wife is a joy to look at too,you lucky lucky b*****d,i'll be in contact soon to buy a dvd,good on yer mate,Jigsaw.

with your hunting laws you fellas might be better of with finder bailer type dogs we got this dog to to use as that type of dog but he has turned out just as hard as any any of our other dogs.

Bit of an unfair generalisation L.A.B. Ive worn out plenty of pairs of boots working the hills over here.

Hills?? Do you know what they are?? Just kiddin mate, if you do walk the hills I'm sure you know there are a lot who don't. I hunted in what they call NSW mountain country which was pretty much identical to here, but a lot of aussie hunting is done in the flat land where, obviously if you can drive ya do. Spent more time in cruisers than doing bruisers :D Here you park up and walk ALL DAY, then get something and carry it all the way back! If I could drive it, believe me I would. Come and stay with me mate, show ya what I mean. Sorry if I offended ya, was just a generalisation. :victory:

with your laws, with any pighunting done with dogs,it would be silly to advertise what dogs and area's you are hunting.

steve mate it's not unfair to state the truth, alot of aussie pighunting is done off the front seat of a ute, but there is a good number of hunters who use the feet.

love to see some picture of the kinda dogs you use and what the are

Think I use what you guys basically call a lurcher, or something very simmillar. Australians use different dogs because a lot of their hunting they drive too, here (new zealand) we walk, and the dogs can go,miles so hard on dogs use bailing dogs. My main dog is a Whippet/Greyhound over a greyhound/bully with a touch of catahoula.

image58202128.jpg

wife on one of her first hunts, she wanted the pig to get away... Was a stroppy little mongrel

image63212216.jpg

Little one that won us $300 at local contest, was a surprise

image6321163.jpg

Same pig with little less go in him

image525225821.jpg

Had to put a little bit better lookin one in, was caught with the whippet x but don't have that many photos of him, bit camera shy.. Lots of video footage of him on my website www.lifesaboar.com

This is my mate Aaron who works as my packhorse (carries everything)

the dutch man funny as feck love your sense of humour :black eye: :rofl:

Lol, Apart from my son my best hunting bud is a kiwi fella half my age. we hunt the mountians a lot together. I tell you he loves going out to the flat country just as much as I do now days, the thing is though we end up walking the creek, river systems and lignum swamps its not bad when you can go back and get the ute to load up the catch.

Stevemac

Guest NZLurcherman

Scottish Lurcher,

I hunt here in New Zealand with four Lurchers and a Flat Coat Retriever. Am mainly hunting Possums for their fur but the dogs have caught some good pigs over the years and my dogs are not what you would call hard. My main dog was bred from a bitch bought over from the UK he is Greyhound/Whippet Greyhound-bedlington and have a Whippet Boarder Collie and two pups from those two dogs.

There has been some good pigs caught here with sheep dogs and shot in the bail, working dogs are smart and just work a pig like they would sheep. That's not going to work all the time of course especially where the pigs have been chased and exercised by other hunters LOL.

Scottish Lurcher,

I hunt here in New Zealand with four Lurchers and a Flat Coat Retriever. Am mainly hunting Possums for their fur but the dogs have caught some good pigs over the years and my dogs are not what you would call hard. My main dog was bred from a bitch bought over from the UK he is Greyhound/Whippet Greyhound-bedlington and have a Whippet Boarder Collie and two pups from those two dogs.

There has been some good pigs caught here with sheep dogs and shot in the bail, working dogs are smart and just work a pig like they would sheep. That's not going to work all the time of course especially where the pigs have been chased and exercised by other hunters LOL.

Is that you Richard.??

Guest NZLurcherman

Scottish Lurcher,

Is that you Richard.??

Yeh Mate! :D How'z it going? Anita's dog has decided he is a pigdog now as well, he got a real tong up by a pig bout a year ago $1500 worth of damage :cry: So have invested in protection or he's not to go out! Got the pig not huge but went 115, not bad for Possum Chasers :thumbs-up:

NZLurcherman.