Buying your first air rifle

That is so useful. Thanks. I have acquired a wood of about 2.5 acres. Would an air rifle be sufficient to cleanly kill (marksmanship permitting) rabbits over a distance of say 50 - 60 metres. That would save me getting a fire arms licence. Also feel that with a shotgun one shot would scare all the other bunnies away for some time! You will have spotted I'm a newbie so any advice welcome. Thanks

An air rifle is more than capable of that but 50-60m is a long way to consistently provide accuracy without a hell of a lot of practice, consider bringing field craft into the situation and get closer to your quarry so you have less chance of wounding.

Practice on paper at your chosen hunting range till you can consistently get 10 shots within a 1" circle, if you can't then you shouldn't be shooting at live quarry

Darryl

• Like 8
  • 2 weeks later...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do guys n gals!   Well after reading far too many subjects lately about "Which gun should I buy", "What pellets should I use" topics I thought I'd make this topic up for your perusal. It may se

Does anyone have any information about a pump Benjamin Sheridan? I have looked on the internet but can find much information about the one I have? Its very accurate considering you have to pump it up.

Great post, just joined as a newbie and read this from top to bottom, was clear and interesting, atleast it gives me a starting point for selecting my gear. thanks rik.

No easy or right/wrong answer but it all depends on your budget and how the rifle feels when you hold it.

Best thing is to go down to your local gun shop and shoulder as many rifles as you can within your budget, there'll be the "one" that feels comfy, your head falls in the right place

Edited by Marksman
  • Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for going to all the effort of putting this information together in one place. My boyfriend would be very proud too, as the first thing he insisted I do before I even touched an air rifle was read and learn about the laws and safety guidelines associated with air rifle shooting.

I then invested in an S400 carbine 5 years ago and I've never looked back :victory:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Great post Marksman, the answers to Daz's questions too saved me asking them elsewhere. Still deciding whether pcp or underlever is my weapon of choice, have a new indoor range opening near me soon so will see if they have a few I can test first, also would be interested in a Twink mk2 when the time arises as I hear nothing but good reviews :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm wanting to buy a gun for myself atm in using air arms s410 but its my relatives , I need one not to powerfull but can easly kill rabbits birds etc any advise on what I should get ?

Depends on a lot of things really,plenty of info on web including this site google is your friend.If you are new to hunting you will need lots of practice on targets before you hunt live quarry.As for choosing the right gun i would personally go for a pcp,using a spring rifle for hunting requires more skill,even more so if you are a newbie to hunting.

As for power I would recommend between 10.5 Ft-Lbs to 11.5 Ft-lbs,then there is a choice of which caliber of pellet to choose,however there is so many variables to consider in hunting,gun type/pellet choice in fact to many to go through in this post,so my advice is to look up as much info as possible before you even try hunting live quarry.

• 3 months later...