Buying your first air rifle

Does anyone have any information about a pump Benjamin Sheridan? I have looked on the internet but can find much information about the one I have? Its very accurate considering you have to pump it up.

Benjamin Sheridan 397PA 177cal

Benjamin Sheridan. E Bloomfield. NY USA 14443

Serial code 695705566

Any help would be great

Thanks

• Like 10
  • 3 weeks later...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do guys n gals!   Well after reading far too many subjects lately about "Which gun should I buy", "What pellets should I use" topics I thought I'd make this topic up for your perusal. It may se

Does anyone have any information about a pump Benjamin Sheridan? I have looked on the internet but can find much information about the one I have? Its very accurate considering you have to pump it up.

Great post, just joined as a newbie and read this from top to bottom, was clear and interesting, atleast it gives me a starting point for selecting my gear. thanks rik.

As somebody who came from totally outside the airgun "family" - nobody I know has had one (although I was shot with one as a kid):) and who then had an urgent need to get one (garden of new house overrun with rabbits) reading this would have saved me HOURS on google. Well done sir - excellent post

• Like 4
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

Big thanks to Marksman for spending the time to write this post and thank you to everyone else who has contributed on these forums. I've owned some airguns in the past, mainly pistols. I later owned a rat catcher and a cheaper priced .22 from an angling shop. Recently I decided that I was going to get back in to this and look for a local club and buy a new rifle.

After reading various threads (including this one) I've opted to go for a HW97 KT 1.77 which I managed to pick up second hand from a decent chap up in Kippax, I'm really happy with it. With that said I will be upgrading the scope :)

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great read, Darryl, as someone said, that would have saved me all the questions I had at the shop! Couple of additional points for me:-

* The storing guns in the slip....I bought a 97KT and NO ONE told me NOT to store it in the slip...ONE WEEK LATER and the stainless section of the pellet port started to rust!! ONE WEEK! I took it back and they sorted it for me but only because I kicked off regarding after sales care and info. My HW100 is now in a humidity controlled wine fridge (joke).

* Oil cloths - I was also told by them that I should be wiping the rifle down after each use with an oil cloth, any thoughts on that one?

* Cleaning - I have read the two polar opposits on cleaning. On one side, I am told to clean after each shoot, or if chaning pellets or if it is a full moon. On the other hand, the guy in the shop said, don't clean it, the gun needs "some" lead in it, only clean it if you notice accuracy drop off. - Where do you stand on that? In addition, clean with what? Some say brushes, some say rags, others say the cleaning wad pellets....

* PCP air tanks - Again two schools of thought on this one, if I am leaving the gun alone for a while, do I store it with air in the tank or empty it? I haev had advice t okeep it full at 200 bar, but I did read a few people on other forums saying if you don't use it for more than "x" weeks, empty the tank completely. - What do you think?

Thanks again for your help, and to all the members on here.

Darryl (Daz) Milner

• Like 1

Great read, Darryl, as someone said, that would have saved me all the questions I had at the shop! Couple of additional points for me

The storing guns in the slip....I bought a 97KT and NO ONE told me NOT to store it in the slip...ONE WEEK LATER and the stainless section of the pellet port started to rust!! ONE WEEK! I took it back and they sorted it for me but only because I kicked off regarding after sales care and info. My HW100 is now in a humidity controlled wine fridge (joke).

Definately best to store them out of the gunslip as long as you remember the normal safety laws[\b]

Oil cloths - I was also told by them that I should be wiping the rifle down after each use with an oil cloth, any thoughts on that one?

I use a product called Ballistol..... Soak an old rag or part of a Tshirt in it and keep it in a plastic bag. Wipe both the metalwork and the stock down after use the put rag bag in plastic bag[\b]

Cleaning - I have read the two polar opposits on cleaning. On one side, I am told to clean after each shoot, or if chaning pellets or if it is a full moon. On the other hand, the guy in the shop said, don't clean it, the gun needs "some" lead in it, only clean it if you notice accuracy drop off. - Where do you stand on that? In addition, clean with what? Some say brushes, some say rags, others say the cleaning wad pellets....

Clean when changing pellets or if loss of accuracy is felt and then only with a pull through & patches. I never use wire brushes. After cleaning fire 20-25 shots of the brand of pellet you are going to use to lead the barrel then zero as normal. [\b]

* PCP air tanks - Again two schools of thought on this one, if I am leaving the gun alone for a while, do I store it with air in the tank or empty it? I haev had advice t okeep it full at 200 bar, but I did read a few people on other forums saying if you don't use it for more than "x" weeks, empty the tank completely. - What do you think?

Always leave air in the rifle no matter how long you are storing it. If you don't there stands a chance that the ORings/seals will dry up, crack and shrink causing leaks when the rifle is refilled.

[\quote]

Edited by Marksman
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is so useful. Thanks. I have acquired a wood of about 2.5 acres. Would an air rifle be sufficient to cleanly kill (marksmanship permitting) rabbits over a distance of say 50 - 60 metres. That would save me getting a fire arms licence. Also feel that with a shotgun one shot would scare all the other bunnies away for some time! You will have spotted I'm a newbie so any advice welcome. Thanks

• Like 1