Buying your first air rifle

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do guys n gals!   Well after reading far too many subjects lately about "Which gun should I buy", "What pellets should I use" topics I thought I'd make this topic up for your perusal. It may se

Does anyone have any information about a pump Benjamin Sheridan? I have looked on the internet but can find much information about the one I have? Its very accurate considering you have to pump it up.

Great post, just joined as a newbie and read this from top to bottom, was clear and interesting, atleast it gives me a starting point for selecting my gear. thanks rik.

Hi, im from the Uk and our laws are fairly strict as you may no. I think the restriction on our ait rifles is 12 lbs per foot. I was wondering if you can give me names of any good starter rifles. Im new to it all i want something whats decent prefarably 22. and co2 powered what will kill rabbits cleanly. Something around the price of 200-300 quid is what im looking for but i am prepared to go over.

• Like 2

Hey you want to check out the secondhand section on here, there is a cracking set up for sale, trouble is it is in Cambridgeshire but a bit of a drive, an as new Ultra, divers tank, 2 x scopes, 1 rather collectible, gun slip, the whole job lot £400, if you are interested the member selling is ratreeper!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi, im from the Uk and our laws are fairly strict as you may no. I think the restriction on our ait rifles is 12 lbs per foot. I was wondering if you can give me names of any good starter rifles. Im new to it all i want something whats decent prefarably 22. and co2 powered what will kill rabbits cleanly. Something around the price of 200-300 quid is what im looking for but i am prepared to go over.

Get an Umarex 850 air magnum mate. Can get them for about £300 easy :)

Atb, Mitch

• 2 weeks later...

thanks very much for this extremly well put together thread, not only did it help me decide what would suite me best (weinrauch hw100t 1.77) but saved me the embarrassment of walking into my local gunsmith without the basic clue on the subject. It also encouraged me to join up the site. so thanks again :yes:

tony

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great post and I have a question that I could do with some help on.

Im just getting back into air rifles and I'm looking at the BSA R10 mk2 VC. I would like it in a .177 for the flatter trajector but would utimatley prefer it in .22 but over 12ftlbs to give the .22 a flatter trajectory and more power for clean kills. I have a permission and was wondering how hard it is to aquire an FAC to use an air rifle over 12ftlbs or is the BSA R10 in .177 more than enough anyway.

I still have my old BSA airsported must be 30years old but it never seemed that powerful. I know the new crop of PCP's are going to be miles ahead but does they 12ft lbs still limit their ability or not?

Any advice would be much welcomed.

Ken

• 1 month later...

Hi ken, don't know if you are still in on this as you posted a while ago, gaining an FAC is not hard at all it just depends on your location and of all thing, time! Even though its an air rifle if you head down the FAC route you still needs things like a gun cabinet, somewhere suitable to have that gun cabinet ( I.e mine had to be drilled into to wall). The actual process is not difficult at all it just takes time. You do of course need to verify your licence which means you need permission etc etc before hand so it goes down on your licence that your a pest controller for example. As for Pcps sub 12 ft does not limit their abilities at all, I have an FAC over on the Channel Islands and I only have a sub 12 ft per pound rifle. They will shoot anything up to a pheasant even a fox in the right circumstance although i dont advise this at all. Remember rifles don't need to be powerful, just precise and shot placement is the key.

Hope this helps

P.s I may be wrong on the FAC thing as I am going from the process I went through on jersey

Craig

• 3 weeks later...