My new Sandwell Field Sports tuned HW95 .20 cal

Well I finally found the time after a very hectic week to get my new gun out the box, scoped, zeroed and rattle off a few shots down the garden.

It is my first spring gun since the age of eight, which I can't even remember shooting, so I don't have the experiance to write a proper review.

This HW95 is of the silenced carbine variety but with silencer it still measures 45" in length, I bought it from Sandwell Field Sports and it was imported which took around five weeks and tuned on arrival by Tony Wall. It cost me a little under £360 and considering the standard un-tuned version is £330 round my way it was a bargain.

I would recommend using this company, they are very friendly and do what they say with no fuss and good communication.

I have owned an HW100TK for a few years now which I have taken a number of rabbits with it as well as targets, but I can honestly say I like this HW95 more after just a couple of hours on the target.

It is hard to explain but although the PCP offers clean, no messing, absolute accuracy, to me there is a bit of a detached feeling about it, a bit point a sqirt if you like.

The spring gun makes me feel more involved with the action and I can feel the energy of the pellet leaving the gun, with the recoil it is a much more exciting and addictive experiance.

The pellets feel right in .20 caliber and hit the target with a far harder wallop than the .177's, I am starting to get my accuracy quicker than I expected at 22 yards.

The gun it a very comfortable weight and it feels great at the shoulder.

It has the new version stock which encloses the front hinge and I have mounted on it a Bushnell 3 /9 x 40 scope which I had on my HW100, I plan to change it for something similar but with mill dots.

So all told I think it's a fantastic gun and can't wait to get accurate consistantly enough to bag a few rabbits.

post-2672-0-10571700-1306003159_thumb.jpg

post-2672-0-10120800-1306003172_thumb.jpg

Edited by shepp
  • Like 3

Nice one, Shepp, you'll enjoy that :thumbs:

Is that a tin of FTTs on the table? My 90 shoots very well with those in .20 and also Baracudas. Give Bisley Super Fields a go too if you get the chance, mate.

I totally know what you mean about the detached feeling you get from PCPs. I had a AA410c for a while and as great a rifle as it was, it just left me cold somehow after a while, I found myself reaching more for the springers after a few months so I sold it.

Good luck with your new gun, Shepp.

Cheers.

Nice one, Shepp, you'll enjoy that :thumbs:

Is that a tin of FTTs on the table? My 90 shoots very well with those in .20 and also Baracudas. Give Bisley Super Fields a go too if you get the chance, mate.

I totally know what you mean about the detached feeling you get from PCPs. I had a AA410c for a while and as great a rifle as it was, it just left me cold somehow after a while, I found myself reaching more for the springers after a few months so I sold it.

Good luck with your new gun, Shepp.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy, yes I though i'd start off with FTT especially after hearing that they are not having the consistency problems of the .22 cal.

I hope I get a similar trajectory with these as I do with Bisley Magnums .177 in my HW100 so I won't have to compensate too much when using either rifle.

nice 1 shepp, its good to see another pcp user get back into springers mate, you just cant beat the feeling of going out with pellets in your pocket for some proper old school airgunning mate :thumbs:

the '95's a great gun too, although i found it too light for my own ham fisted ways for any long range work and swapped it for an old '80, but hopefully you'll have a proper blast with it mate.

really looking forwards to hearing how you get on with it,

cheers, wurz

Well I finally found the time after a very hectic week to get my new gun out the box, scoped, zeroed and rattle off a few shots down the garden.

It is my first spring gun since the age of eight, which I can't even remember shooting, so I don't have the experiance to write a proper review.

This HW95 is of the silenced carbine variety but with silencer it still measures 45" in length, I bought it from Sandwell Field Sports and it was imported which took around five weeks and tuned on arrival by Tony Wall. It cost me a little under £360 and considering the standard un-tuned version is £330 round my way it was a bargain.

I would recommend using this company, they are very friendly and do what they say with no fuss and good communication.

I have owned an HW100TK for a few years now which I have taken a number of rabbits with it as well as targets, but I can honestly say I like this HW95 more after just a couple of hours on the target.

It is hard to explain but although the PCP offers clean, no messing, absolute accuracy, to me there is a bit of a detached feeling about it, a bit point a sqirt if you like.

The spring gun makes me feel more involved with the action and I can feel the energy of the pellet leaving the gun, with the recoil it is a much more exciting and addictive experiance.

The pellets feel right in .20 caliber and hit the target with a far harder wallop than the .177's, I am starting to get my accuracy quicker than I expected at 22 yards.

The gun it a very comfortable weight and it feels great at the shoulder.

It has the new version stock which encloses the front hinge and I have mounted on it a Bushnell 3 /9 x 40 scope which I had on my HW100, I plan to change it for something similar but with mill dots.

So all told I think it's a fantastic gun and can't wait to get accurate consistantly enough to bag a few rabbits.

Hiya Shepp.

What a stunner she is, love the new stock on her.

Looking at that target you shot, you are going to get on together, just fine, very nice shooting indeed :thumbs:

Look forward to your first kill post with her.

ATB.

Bill.

Hi Shepp.

Well, you know what I feel about spring rifles :whistling: . Particularly Weihrauch. :gunsmilie::gunsmilie::notworthy:

From the target here, at 22 yards, you have what I would have expected as a standard. A real, truly accurate rifle you can get great shooting done with. Nothing less!

The H&N FTT are fantastic pellets for these German spring rifles and you'll have no worries with .20. The .22 issues I've had are a pain the Butt (intended!) but the accuracy of the majority in a tin, makes them worth putting up with.

I'd love a shot or two with it Shepp. And the fully chequered stock looks lovely. Is that going to be a standard for Weihrauch spring rifles in future?

Keep the rifle resting light at the shoulder, just rest it on your forehand and just a little controlling pressure with your controlling hand on the grip, thumb up the stock-wrist and a gentle trigger press and shot follow-through.

You'll make this group shrink to a single pellet hole. And it doesn't get better than that!

All the best with it Shepp. Congratulations! :thumbs:

Simon

Hi Shepp.

Well, you know what I feel about spring rifles :whistling: . Particularly Weihrauch. :gunsmilie::gunsmilie::notworthy:

From the target here, at 22 yards, you have what I would have expected as a standard. A real, truly accurate rifle you can get great shooting done with. Nothing less!

The H&N FTT are fantastic pellets for these German spring rifles and you'll have no worries with .20. The .22 issues I've had are a pain the Butt (intended!) but the accuracy of the majority in a tin, makes them worth putting up with.

I'd love a shot or two with it Shepp. And the fully chequered stock looks lovely. Is that going to be a standard for Weihrauch spring rifles in future?

Keep the rifle resting light at the shoulder, just rest it on your forehand and just a little controlling pressure with your controlling hand on the grip, thumb up the stock-wrist and a gentle trigger press and shot follow-through.

You'll make this group shrink to a single pellet hole. And it doesn't get better than that!

Simon

Thanks Simon for your good wishes and sound advice, I do lack a bit of basic coaching but i'll get there :thumbs:

The new stock is now fitted as standard on the HW95, I don't know about any other models, it is still only shown on the Weirauch web site fitted to the Lexus 95.

It's unfortunate we live at different ends of the country otherwise you would be more than welcome to give it a try.

I remember you saying that you use SFS, have you ever had a gun tuned by them or if not would you consider it?

Best regards

Andy

Hi Shepp.

Simon

Thanks Simon for your good wishes and sound advice, I do lack a bit of basic coaching but i'll get there :thumbs:

The new stock is now fitted as standard on the HW95, I don't know about any other models, it is still only shown on the Weirauch web site fitted to the Lexus 95.

It's unfortunate we live at different ends of the country otherwise you would be more than welcome to give it a try.

I remember you saying that you use SFS, have you ever had a gun tuned by them or if not would you consider it?

Best regards

Andy

Hi Andy.

Short answer. Yes I would have Tony Wall tune my spring rifles anytime. The guy knows the guns inside out and the job he does is awesome by the level of care he takes. I will have my HW77 tuned by him and SWFS at some future point. Considering a SWFS tune usually costs £70.00 you've got a hell of a good deal Andy, honestly.

I am lucky in the sense that I have a great mate here, AndyFR1968 who knows his Weihrauch spring rifle gunsmithing equally well. He took my HW77, cleaned, honed and polished the internals, crowned and finished the Weihrauch spring better than HW have done, smoothed the underlever lock-up detent and re-lubed the internals exactly as they should be. The rifle cocks and shoots very consistently with less than 5 ft/lbs deviation spread, it's much smoother, quieter and utterly accurate. He turned an amazingly accurate rifle into a phenominally accurate one.

He's also done a marvellous job on my HW80s too.

You'll be just fine with you HW95 Andy. It is a shame we aren't closer. I'd love to know how smooth she feels and how much downrange accuracy we could get out of her. :thumbs:

Simon

• Like 1