Advice on my Sons First Air Rifle

Hi all, its been a long time since I looked at the latest air rifles that are currently on the market so here goes. I started off with my dads .22 Diana springer at around the same age as my son who is showing an interest in shooting at the moment, he's 10 years old btw. I progressed from that old Diana many moons ago to other various air rifles, then through my military career to other numerous firearms. I currently hold an FAC and shotgun certificate. Hence why Im in the dark a little as to the modern air rifles on the market today.

Please could you offer some pointers as to your personal recommendations for myself & my son, as a starting point ? Surely they do lighter more child user friendly rifles these days ? I recall the weight of my dads old Diana back in the 70's together with the pulled muscles in my arm too, after constantly struggling to cock the bloody thing over and over :cry: lol

Cheers in advance fellas ;)

what you wanting to get him.? spring or pcp

if its a spring gun the the meteor is a good beginners gun

and with a pcp you cant go wrong with the falcon....cheap and light

what you wanting to get him.? spring or pcp

if its a spring gun the the meteor is a good beginners gun

and with a pcp you cant go wrong with the falcon....cheap and light

Sorry forgot to add, nothing too expensive and extravagant so more than likely a springer so he has a bit of recoil to cope with which may improve his shooting later. :thumbs:

My boy is 10, i bought him a ratcatcher last year when he was 8. Nice and light, cheap enough too for the normal one, the king ratcatcher is a bit more expensive but not loads. Not quite full power either which imo was a bonus ;)

ATB Blackstaff

Try a rabbit stopper, may cost a little bit in the replacement co2 bulbs but will provide hours of fun and a snitch of the price of a pcp.

Light, no recoil so your young un wont loose interest from not being accurate and most of all it will hold its value to sell on. You can then move up to a springer, when he has the muscles :laugh: , or make the investment to a pcp.

A rat-catcher with a stock may be an alternative, or if your wanting to spend some money and can find one, something from the brocock range.

As 8shot says a meteor is a good starting springer, but my young un struggled for a time with the cocking and recoil.

im a young lad my self and i hade a weeirauch hw 25l starter rifle,

light,

cheap,

easy to use,

here's a link

hw 25l

hope it helps

lew

I got my lad aged 11 the smk syntarg 1.77 couple weeks ago good price, had no probs with it, he loads it himself which is half the battle and the recoil is ok for him.

ollie

My first Air Rifle was a old .22 Milbro handed down to me by my brother. couldn't tell you how old I was but I didn't have the strength to pull the barrel down or reach the trigger when the stock was in my shoulder, I ended up resting the stock on the top of my shoulder which was not wise :whistling:.

Must say the BSA Lightning is a nice little gun with plenty of power as is the Meteor :thumbs:

Jasp