i've recently purchased a whippet for cousing rabbits and was just wondering how many of u use them for work and arethey were tougher than what some people say they are? also if [NO TEXT TALK] has some pics would like to see some if possibe thanks?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've worked whippets for the past 8 years and they are as tough as old boots. I ferret,lamp and flush the large rabbits to the gun and they always give 100%. They are well suited to the land i work th

Great little dogs with big hearts perfect for rabbits lamping/ferreting/mooching. There no more prone to injury than any other type.  

whippets in my opinion are the best thing you can have for rabbits. i have owned whippets and whippet crosses for about 18 years now and wouldnt change them for the world.

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

I've worked whippets for the past 8 years and they are as tough as old boots. I ferret,lamp and flush the large rabbits to the gun and they always give 100%. They are well suited to the land i work them on.

post-2056-0-35984400-1311448959_thumb.jpg

post-2056-0-11344300-1311449049_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I've worked whippets for the past 8 years and they are as tough as old boots. I ferret,lamp and flush the large rabbits to the gun and they always give 100%. They are well suited to the land i work them on.

belting dogs [bANNED TEXT] very nice like u say there tough a old boots and have just as much fire as almost any lurcher

have seen a few run and they are mental on the bunnies day or night. was just wondering how did they fair pre ban on other quarry?? i know they are primarily bunny bashers but just wondered what other quarry they were capable of taking pre ban

I would agree that they are tougher than they look.. Mine tackles foxes and sleeps out in her kennel on frosty nights, although she'd much prefer to be inside. ;) However, she's a slight little bitch and isn't quite hard enough to pull up an old dog fox who whows were cover is and is determined to get there. I wouldn't expect the average whip to kill a fox one-up. They just lack biting power... although there are some bigger whippets about. The job I ask of mine is to make them bail until the other dogs can catch up.

First fox she met, bit her when she poked her muzzle down the earth. The second one bit her when she ran it down and rolled it. She wasn't happy and I wondered whether it would put her off. No such thing. She's very keen, but is always the first to leave go after the fox is dead. Others can rag it, but she'll curl up and have a spell as soon as the job is done.

One tip I was given by an old whippet man, was to run them in rough country while young. His theory was that they would crash and burn often enough for them to realise that they had to look where they were running... but do so before they were running fast enough to cause themselves major injury. I've followed this advice and seen some spectacular prangs, but nothing that has caused major injury. Only ever one decent skin-tear.

013.jpg

credit to you looking good :thumbs:

hi whats the difference between a laguna whippet and regular whippet?

This has been done to death, the name Laguna is a prefix which means the owner of the prefix can only use the name, like Laguna Black Lupina, and no other Breeder can use the name, the Laguna prefix was owned by MRS D. U. Mckay, who has since passed away, and I think her Daughter now owns the prefix.

Pre ban, Luguna Whippets did well in the Coursing field, but they are no different to other Whippets.

You see it in famous greyhound kennels like the prefix Westmead the name is owned by the Savaas, hope this is easy to understand.

Edited by Country Joe