Best way tomuscle your greys up

walk them,and run them.you can give them a run at any flapping track after the races,costs a quid or two for a run.rub them down a few times a week,tyhere plentyy liniments on the market.personally i used to use winter green and olive oil.pay particular attention to thier front and back leaders.if yu know a greyhound man get him to clean the back of its head out.dont try it yourself if you dont know what your doing.i found plenty of lengths in a dog who had never had it done.some lads dont do it but i assure you it works.

what does that mean scot?

in racing greyhounds.when they take knocks and bumps during a race,after a while they get a build up of fluid at the back of thier head.if you put your fingers at the back of thier ears,you will feel to small bones like a ratchet.best doing it with your thumbs.but ONLY if you have been showed how to.dont go f*****g about in there if you havent done it before.work those two bones with your thumbs,the dog will yap a wee bit as you do it,however after a bit and the fluid starts to disopate,it will be just like any other dog who likes getting its ears rubbed.i have never felt the need to do it on a lurcher.i cant empahsise how much not to do it if you dont know how to though.i was taught that wee trick many years ago by a top greyhound man in scotland.like said a few greyhound men didnt paractise it,but i suspect that was because they didnt know how to.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

silky has a good point there hence why i walk mine and run him on the lure alongside my lurchers, he hasnt got loads of muscles like others you see at the track he is a racey dog and only small at 27

i would call it how to condition your dog the muscles will start to show as your dog getts fitter walking is ok but you will never walk a dog fit you have to gallop them increasing the amount you give

i would call it how to condition your dog the muscles will start to show as your dog getts fitter walking is ok but you will never walk a dog fit you have to gallop them increasing the amount you give

walk them,and run them.you can give them a run at any flapping track after the races,costs a quid or two for a run.rub them down a few times a week,tyhere plentyy liniments on the market.personally i used to use winter green and olive oil.pay particular attention to thier front and back leaders.if yu know a greyhound man get him to clean the back of its head out.dont try it yourself if you dont know what your doing.i found plenty of lengths in a dog who had never had it done.some lads dont do it but i assure you it works.

what does that mean scot?

in racing greyhounds.when they take knocks and bumps during a race,after a while they get a build up of fluid at the back of thier head.if you put your fingers at the back of thier ears,you will feel to small bones like a ratchet.best doing it with your thumbs.but ONLY if you have been showed how to.dont go f*****g about in there if you havent done it before.work those two bones with your thumbs,the dog will yap a wee bit as you do it,however after a bit and the fluid starts to disopate,it will be just like any other dog who likes getting its ears rubbed.i have never felt the need to do it on a lurcher.i cant empahsise how much not to do it if you dont know how to though.i was taught that wee trick many years ago by a top greyhound man in scotland.like said a few greyhound men didnt paractise it,but i suspect that was because they didnt know how to.

:thumbs:

i'd never heard of that before.

its prob not practised anymore blan,like a lot of old tips and tricks.thing of the past.its like clearing out thier throat aswell.bit of butter covered in washing soda.throw it down thier neck,30 seconds later after a bit of wretching,up comes the bile and the track sand.does folk still clear out a dogs shit glands?another thing i did reg on the racers.i knew i had a dog at its peak,when it was bouncing on its toes when out for a walk,and tearing up the grass after it cleaned itself.

i wouldn't of thought of the dog swallowing sand during a race.

going a bit off topic, but what would a conditioning program look like for a racing dog?

they dont mean to swallow it mate,it gets kicked back in thier faces as they run.guess you could say well they should be out in front and they wouldnt get that prob lol however we dont always want our dogs to win :whistling:

plenty road work,but more importantly get it galloping and running.good rub downs and wee tonic,or a b12 injection.best of grub,i mean fresh veg,meat goats milk.just the best you can get and commitment.after all we want a return on our investment.im not bragging and you can check all my posts never once have i,but my father and me spent serious cash on dogs,and no use having an open racer in a kennel and feeding it shite and taking it round the block for a piss.the art is keeping a few lengths up your sleeve and above all keeping you mouth shut.if it was trophys and praise your after,your defo in the wrong game.i stopped a dog for months,to get up the handicap and was slated regulary that the dog was a squib.aye they ate thier words lol never ever got another dog as far up the handicap again at that track though lol.f**k i miss the greyhounds lol i shouldnt really talk about it,im liable to go f*****g buy one hahah

• Like 1

i wouldn't of thought of the dog swallowing sand during a race.

going a bit off topic, but what would a conditioning program look like for a racing dog?

they dont mean to swallow it mate,it gets kicked back in thier faces as they run.guess you could say well they should be out in front and they wouldnt get that prob lol however we dont always want our dogs to win :whistling:

plenty road work,but more importantly get it galloping and running.good rub downs and wee tonic,or a b12 injection.best of grub,i mean fresh veg,meat goats milk.just the best you can get and commitment.after all we want a return on our investment.im not bragging and you can check all my posts never once have i,but my father and me spent serious cash on dogs,and no use having an open racer in a kennel and feeding it shite and taking it round the block for a piss.the art is keeping a few lengths up your sleeve and above all keeping you mouth shut.if it was trophys and praise your after,your defo in the wrong game.i stopped a dog for months,to get up the handicap and was slated regulary that the dog was a squib.aye they ate thier words lol never ever got another dog as far up the handicap again at that track though lol.f**k i miss the greyhounds lol i shouldnt really talk about it,im liable to go f*****g buy one hahah

that and a lurcher would keep you busy mate,did you ever do any hunting with yours?

good god no blan lol dogs that cost 3grand and upwards were never off the lead lol

only time was at a track,or i used to take them to a fenced in football park.as teen i slipped a greyhound onto a roe once,and thank f**k the deer jumped the fence amd the dog couldnt get over.also another time,me and a mate let one off the lead.it ran through a broken glass of an old tv screen we didnt see it,and severd a tendon in the wrist,what a f*****g hiding i got.dog was PTS. never ever let another one of the lead.there brainless blan.and out and out killers of anything smaller than them.and sometimes things bigger than them ;p

3k plus all the time and effort put in, i'll bet your still feeling that now lol

theres an old lady near me who races them but also hunts with them,but she's got a lot of land,and i imagine its mainly big fields.

its funny she swears blind they're better than any lurcher in every way in the field,but take a look at them and one in particular's more scar tissue than dog.

she says she always starts them on live quarry because it makes them keener.

3k plus all the time and effort put in, i'll bet your still feeling that now lol

theres an old lady near me who races them but also hunts with them,but she's got a lot of land,and i imagine its mainly big fields.

its funny she swears blind they're better than any lurcher in every way in the field,but take a look at them and one in particular's more scar tissue than dog.

frst time ive heard of a racing greyhound used for hunting aswell.well technically they would be the best for a course.no other dog will beat them for speed.agreyhound will hit top speed around 46 miles an hour some even faster,within three strides.but like i said brainless to a fault.used to give them live kills,but that can back fore aswell.makes them sleep in the trap sometimes.many years ago used to give a lad who worked a flapping track a fiver to tie a live rabbit on the hare rail lol oh how that sounds soooo wrong theses days hahah

frst time ive heard of a racing greyhound used for hunting aswell.well technically they would be the best for a course.no other dog will beat them for speed.agreyhound will hit top speed around 46 miles an hour some even faster,within three strides.but like i said brainless to a fault.used to give them live kills,but that can back fore aswell.makes them sleep in the trap sometimes.many years ago used to give a lad who worked a flapping track a fiver to tie a live rabbit on the hare rail lol oh how that sounds soooo wrong theses days hahah

when i said i didnt believe her dogs could turn aswell as a good lurcher she offered to match me but just for 1 run and with fair law given,I thought i'd save face while i still could lol

do you reckon they end up so thick because of how they're raised?always on a lead and never really getting many other experiences, because tbf this old womans dogs have all the basics in obedience down even if they only get the chance to prove that indoors or on a lunge line.

eh i suppose that letting them run free,they would certainly pick up the basic rudementary training.i suspect she treats them like members of the family.mines were never indoors.saying that we had 7 at one time.no i personally think there just have to much of a high prey drive.tunnel vision and just a dog that was there to chase.even a crisp poke blowing in the wind.you should see some of the things track owners used as a lure.a white plastic feed bag lol.

you did the right thing though not taking up her offer lol

oh a lurcher would still be working,long after a grey has burnt itself out.but wont beat it for out and out speed.

I was thinking more about the turns,if the hound gets 100 odd yards flat out sprinting and the hare turns sharpish its going to end up 3 fields away.

oh a lurcher would still be working,long after a grey has burnt itself out.but wont beat it for out and out speed.

I was thinking more about the turns,if the hound gets 100 odd yards flat out sprinting and the hare turns sharpish its going to end up 3 fields away.

nah mate they can turn very quickly.watch some vids on jewtube of the waterloo cup

• Like 1