A lot depends on the dog. :yes: There's not a magical, one size fits all policy with which all methods can be successfully applied to all dogs. :no: Some dogs can be disciplined without it, but occasionally some won't.. :thumbs:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"back on the lead for the rest of the walk".......its not like putting a child on the naughty step you know? If it needs a shake or a kick up the arse it gets 1......And i can assure you my dogs 'like

On a rare ocation i have been knowing to bite there ear.

If its a lurcher, forget hitting it.......waste of time   If its a terrier..........leather the living shit out of the wee b*****d

Malt: do you think that some dogs actually need to be hit? Not having a go, but to me, hitting is an action which doesn't compute in the canine mind. Yes, it hurts, but it is not the physical pain which teaches the dog anything. A good shake, or cheek grabbing and eye balling have always worked better for me in the case of a real stubborn, ignorant dog which is trying to rule the world.

Malt: do you think that some dogs actually need to be hit? Not having a go, but to me, hitting is an action which doesn't compute in the canine mind. Yes, it hurts, but it is not the physical pain which teaches the dog anything. A good shake, or cheek grabbing and eye balling have always worked better for me in the case of a real stubborn, ignorant dog which is trying to rule the world.

I'm not on about belting a dog, just giving it a physical point of reference to let it know it's out of line. You say 'Hitting is an action that doesn't compute in the canine mind'. I'm sure you well know that a dog is clever enough to realise that there is a difference between themselves and humans, and being one of natures most adaptable beasts with soon learn..

It's all about what works for the individual dog by the individual master.. :thumbs:

A lot depends on the dog. :yes: There's not a magical, one size fits all policy with which all methods can be successfully applied to all dogs. :no: Some dogs can be disciplined without it, but occasionally some won't.. :thumbs:

Agree MALT.But most of the good one come from people who at lease understand how to bring an average dog on.:thumbs: Your pup getting the rigth treatment in training will rarely shy away.Where as some geting lets say abuse will come to you half on the ground.:thumbs:

some good advice there in the past i have took a swipe at my bull cross for giving me the deaf ear but as skykat said about the wippy stick i use the same method wit a old rideing wip i dont beat the dogs wit it but they know i can get to them quicker than they think

management is always a much better option with dogs and is without a doubt the way to go with pups, the prob with correction is, the dog dont always associate it with the crime,

an overly corrected dog will begin to see corrections in everything , a raised tone, a cough, loud noise, and in different situations will begin to shut down when any problem is encountered incompletly different circumstances,

hitting as far as i can see , is a frustration reflex, an inability to control an animal properly, its never the dogs fault, a dog is a dog, he dont know jack shit, and so need to be managed not beaten,,

i am a very quick tempered person and lived a bit of a violent life when i was a youngster but realised i couldnt expect to control a dog if i couldnt control myself. i can honestly say every time ive struck a dog has been a very sad day and it has always set back their training. So i try not to raise my hand if possible

i never used to play with my dogs either thinking it was a bit soft, but i guess thats what being young is about making mistakes as long as you learn

• Like 1

management is always a much better option with dogs and is without a doubt the way to go with pups, the prob with correction is, the dog dont always associate it with the crime,

an overly corrected dog will begin to see corrections in everything , a raised tone, a cough, loud noise, and in different situations will begin to shut down when any problem is encountered incompletly different circumstances,

hitting as far as i can see , is a frustration reflex, an inability to control an animal properly, its never the dogs fault, a dog is a dog, he dont know jack shit, and so need to be managed not beaten,,

Hmmmmmmm......so what your saying is if you've put in hours and hours on your dog and got it trained to a high standard and the dog just decides 1 day to say "f**k you, i'm doing it my way today" you cant hit the dog because its not the dogs fault its the owners........please explain that 1 too me please?... :hmm:

ive lost the head with dogs f**k its like everythig else they try your patience at times,but i dont hit them.one thing i dont like to see is a dog that is cowed and distrustfull of you.my mate has a dog not a running dog)and he is f*****g terrible often said to him that he should get rid of it if he hasnt the patience for it.he does not hit it in my company,but im f*****g sure he does when im not there.poor b*****d is terrified of him,seen it pissing itself with fear when he roars at it.in his defence it is a rather skittish mutt and can be a pian in the arse.think its its a multitude of his training and it just has a skittish nature.id have to say something to anyone i seen lifting thier feet to a dog.just the way i am.

Edited by scothunter

I think there is a general confusion between a physical correction and beating your dog because you have no self control......Titbits, voice and clickers are great and have there uses but i spent many years training imported shepherds, malinois and rotties, try correcting a high drive dog with a high pain threshold with a naughty boy comment and the offer of a biscuit..........

I think there is a general confusion between a physical correction and beating your dog because you have no self control......Titbits, voice and clickers are great and have there uses but i spent many years training imported shepherds, malinois and rotties, try correcting a high drive dog with a high pain threshold with a naughty boy comment and the offer of a biscuit..........

:yes: That's what I'm trying to get at. :thumbs: