No dog needs to be hit. If you hit a dog then the dog wont trust or like you and as has been said its recall goes right down hill and so does every other part of training. If the dog doesnt like you it wont want to please you and so it will ignore your commands and stay out the way so it

doesnt get another clump etc etc. If they know what the command "come here" or "sit" or "leave it" means and they want to please you you will never need to hit a dog.

The worse mine get is a hand around their chin to force eye contact and a stern voice making it clear im pissed off with them then back on lead for the rest of the walk. They get the message remarkably quickly!

"back on the lead for the rest of the walk".......its not like putting a child on the naughty step you know? If it needs a shake or a kick up the arse it gets 1......And i can assure you my dogs 'like' me for the simple fact i am the one who feeds them.

Before we all go daft here i'm not talking about beating the

dog to a pulp, i'm talking about a kick up the arse for its troubles.

I get what ya mean like when ya mate pisses ya off so ya give the prick a willy whop for being a dik lol

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"back on the lead for the rest of the walk".......its not like putting a child on the naughty step you know? If it needs a shake or a kick up the arse it gets 1......And i can assure you my dogs 'like

On a rare ocation i have been knowing to bite there ear.

If its a lurcher, forget hitting it.......waste of time   If its a terrier..........leather the living shit out of the wee b*****d

No dog needs to be hit. If you hit a dog then the dog wont trust or like you and as has been said its recall goes right down hill and so does every other part of training. If the dog doesnt like you it wont want to please you and so it will ignore your commands and stay out the way so it

doesnt get another clump etc etc. If they know what the command "come here" or "sit" or "leave it" means and they want to please you you will never need to hit a dog.

The worse mine get is a hand around their chin to force eye contact and a stern voice making it clear im pissed off with them then back on lead for the rest of the walk. They get the message remarkably quickly!

"back on the lead for the rest of the walk".......its not like putting a child on the naughty step you know? If it needs a shake or a kick up the arse it gets 1......And i can assure you my dogs 'like' me for the simple fact i am the one who feeds them.

I get what ya mean like when ya mate pisses ya off so ya give the prick a willy whop for being a dik lol

A willy whop.....is that a backhander af the nuts?... :icon_eek: No thats assualt at the highest level, whats wrong with you man?.. :laugh:

No dog needs to be hit. If you hit a dog then the dog wont trust or like you and as has been said its recall goes right down hill and so does every other part of training. If the dog doesnt like you it wont want to please you and so it will ignore your commands and stay out the way so it doesnt get another clump etc etc. If they know what the command "come here" or "sit" or "leave it" means and they want to please you you will never need to hit a dog.

I disagree that no dog needs to be hit, BUT i mean some form of physical correction, not a beating as the owner has lost control. Some dogs have an amazing drive and hard temperament and can ignore a correction, for others a physical correction is totally inappropriate. And in not talking about most dogs, i bred and worked imported shepherds and if you were inclined you could of beaten them with a lorry axle and they would wag there tails and say "and"???

i no a guy in his 70,s that always used to proper leather his dogs from a pup,usually only once he called it breaking them,not for me :thumbdown:atb jamiew

Edited by jamiew

Seen a lot of people thinking there dogs are fully trained after e few years.So they start letting it off with a few things.Before you know it the dog starts to paying less attention and your shouting more.A dog is never fully trained unless you keep it so.:thumbs:

No dog needs to be hit. If you hit a dog then the dog wont trust or like you and as has been said its recall goes right down hill and so does every other part of training. If the dog doesnt like you it wont want to please you and so it will ignore your commands and stay out the way so it doesnt get another clump etc etc. If they know what the command "come here" or "sit" or "leave it" means and they want to please you you will never need to hit a dog.

I disagree that no dog needs to be hit, BUT i mean some form of physical correction, not a beating as the owner has lost control. Some dogs have an amazing drive and hard temperament and can ignore a correction, for others a physical correction is totally inappropriate. And in not talking about most dogs, i bred and worked imported shepherds and if you were inclined you could of beaten them with a lorry axle and they would wag there tails and say "and"???

Spot on simo........i've noticed with the labs that dogs are more inclined to take what they get and still be right by your side no problem. Bitches on the other hand can be spooky and you have to be careful. I have 2 pups at the minute(both dogs) and you could shake 1 all day it doesn't matter, the other 1 i have to be tactile with or he would be skittish. All part of training and knowing your dogs i'd say....... :thumbs:

No dog needs to be hit. If you hit a dog then the dog wont

trust or like you and as has been said its recall goes right down hill and so does every other part of training. If the dog doesnt like you it wont want to please you and so it will ignore your commands and stay out the way so it

"back on the lead for the rest of the walk".......its not like putting a child on the naughty step you know? If it needs a shake or a kick up the arse it gets 1......And i can assure you my dogs 'like' me for the simple fact i am the one who

feeds them.

A willy whop.....is that a backhander af the nuts?... :icon_eek: No thats assualt at the highest level, whats wrong with you man?.. :laugh:

:laugh: depends on the circumstances

Me Undi and a friend were out hunting years ago,The lad in question had a four year old deerhound cross.Not putting it down to the cross. Only the guy was slack on his dogs.But would be adament they were fully trained.Undi got him a cracker.(Lets say the dogs name was dash).The guys dog paying no heed to his callback.When Undi came out with.Is your dogs name dash or dash,dash,dash.dash. I was on my knees.:laugh: :laugh:

I have hit dogs a long time ago, and it never did any good. It is the force of your superior mental power, your voice, what you mean, how you say things that really works. Take the Airedale for example, she is about as physically sensitive as a concrete block :laugh: so no amount of beating would work on her. What she really hates is for me to get cross with her, she wants to please, but when the drive switches on she is deaf. To her, she isn't doing anything wrong: a dog can't understand how one moment you want it to hunt like f*ck, then the next, stop doing that and come when it's called. If you don't want a dog to do a certain thing, that at other times you do want it to do, then its much better to put it on a lead until you have gone past temptation.

I have and do grab certain dogs by the scruff: terriers for example, but a lot of lurchers scream as though you are killing them if you do that. For me, the best way to train/correct most lurchers is to use voice: varying the tone. I put on a real bad-ass voice which means don't dare to even think of disobeying or else. IMO voice (and varying the tone) is the most powerful tool we humans have.

Now most people will think the next thing I'm going to say is really cruel, but if used properly, there should never be any reason to hurt the dog. I often carry a metre long thin whippy stick. It is NOT to hit the dogs with, but as a GENTLE reminder to stay to heel, to come to heel, and NEVER to be used in anger or violently. It is simply an extension of my arm, and it can reach them when they might be a metre away, about to do a runner after something. I also wave it back and forwards in front of the nose of a dog which might be trying to go past me when it's supposed to be walking beside me. It is also a framework within which the dogs can walk: 5 or 6 lurchers can't all walk to your heel, so they form a group around you. If one starts to wander you can gesture with the stick to get it back in line. I ought to say that no one who is likely to lose their temper and actually hit their dogs should carry a stick as like any tool, it could be abused. And the dogs shouldn't be scared of the stick: if some of mine are fed up with heel work they are likely to grab hold of the stick and ask for a game! That's how it should be, but my body language also tells them when its time to have fun and when to be good and obedient. It's like when we meet strange dogs: they all have to fall into line behind me when we go past a strange dog on the track. We always do it and it becomes a habit, though have to admit the daft as a brush Saluki thing has to go on a lead as he just can't leave other dogs alone: always wants to play :doh: :doh: :laugh:

I only have to get "into" my springer occasionally, then it's a full on rag by his cheeks, legs off the floor jobbie to put him back into check. (just copying what a bitch does in effect) This is maybe once a year when he thinks he knows best.

For lurchers when they are playing up, it's step back a lesson and a stern growling voice, unless I have an aggressive situation (A fight) then I step right in and flatten the perpetrators until they yield as I'm the pack leader etc..

I'd never condone hitting a dog & never do so, but the odd scruff or jab in the neck like the bitch does with her pups soon re-affirms the leadership as they all at some point try to test the ladder of authority.

Just wondered howany people hit there dog when it plays up? I prefer not too unless thier being and absoute c*nt I tell them off and put them on their leads but if I have to it's only a tap on the nose. Just wondered what you lot do?

Good post! :) but I could really throttle my missus some times ;)

Seen a lot of people thinking there dogs are fully trained after e few years.So they start letting it off with a few things.Before you know it the dog starts to paying less attention and your shouting more.A dog is never fully trained unless you keep it so.:thumbs:

spot on :thumbs: , i still put my dogs through it 10 mins training every day, it keeps them more focused on you i think :thumbs:

• Like 1

Just wondered howany people hit there dog when it plays up? I prefer not too unless thier being and absoute c*nt I tell them off and put them on their leads but if I have to it's only a tap on the nose. Just wondered what you lot do?

Good post! :) but I could really throttle my missus some times ;)

AS you get older you get wiser.

Think of how a pup is disciplned as a whelp?, its growled at by its mother, a low threatening growl, and if the pup does it again, it gets the same again, occasionally a quick nip off it's dam and its problem solved, now i'm not suggesting that you get down on all fours and growl etc, but its inbred into the dogs pshyci (spelling :icon_redface:), if any of mine while out start to grip my shit by being "clever", they get a very low down human type growl with the odd explective included (thats for my benefit not theirs :icon_eek: ) , but it makes the growl last longer :boogie: . Eye contact, as has already been mentioned is also a must where applicable, any person that has to resort to leathering their dog is, in my humble opinion, not fit to have a dog.

This works for me as i tend to get a dog as a pup and use this method from day one, they will know by the tone of your voice that they have displeased you. If you buy in a working dog, that may not have had disciplin instilled in them from day one, then a landrover half shaft may be of significant use.lol ( only kidding)

But if you saw my shower of shit out, you'd think the canine version of the sunshine coach had arrived, with me being the driver !! :dance: :shok: :tongue4: :crazy:

• Like 1

But if you saw my shower of shit out, you'd think the canine version of the sunshine coach had arrived, with me being the driver !! :dance: :shok: :tongue4: :crazy:

Loved that :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Mmm, methinks I could apply that to me and mine sometimes an' all :laugh::tongue2: