Out today for a shoot and the lads 17 hmr misfired,the bullet seperated pushing the projectile just in the barrel about 3/4". I managed to put the cleaning rod down the and ram it out would this do any real damage.???

I buried the rest of the bullet under the headge in the field.

You mean the case split? and the bullet got wedged in the barrel? Why would you tell us you buried the rest of the bullet in a hedge :icon_eek:

As for unblocking the barrel with a cleaning rod, unless you know you have given the barrels rifling some abuse then all should be OK.

No mate the case did not split, it was has if it had been fired and left the projectile in the barrel, but there was still powder in the casing that why i buried it.

Edited by airbourne

You mean the case split? and the bullet got wedged in the barrel? Why would you tell us you buried the rest of the bullet in a hedge :icon_eek:

As for unblocking the barrel with a cleaning rod, unless you know you have given the barrels rifling some abuse then all should be OK.

To give it a proper burial of course, out of respect!

what weather were you in?

it happens sometime's that the rounds have factory faults. something like 1 in every 300 rounds made is faulty. it could have got damp or wet inside which would have stopped the powder igniting.

we call it dead man's click in the army. happens often.

if i misunderstood the post and the round actually fired and got stuck then this list is all i can think of (not an armourer so cant be sure but this seems the most obvious ones.)

1- blocked muzzle (rock/mud)

2- extreme weather caused the barrel to shrink or round to expand

3- manufacturer fault

4- round didn't load properly

5- barel was clogged with carbon

chances are made it was a bullet fault and not rifle.

hope this helps, and good idea to bury it. cant have some kid hitting the precussion cap with a hammer and nail :thumbs:

atb

alex

Me lad went to reload but thankfully the bullet would not engage if the projectile had gone any further up the barrel it could of been nasty has you say.

The weather was nice and sunny and warm, barrel was clear and it was cleaned prior to going out.

The bullet must of been faulty thats the only thing i can think of.

sound like what you said (dead mans click)

Thanks for info.

Edited by airbourne

Three of us have experienced the odd Remmy .17HMR round going a bit funny - bought from different shops but c'be from the same import batch. The bullets have left the barrel with a fizz and a lot less power - the 'fizz' is the powder still burning which we guess was possibly down to it being almost a bit damp. Sounded like a cheap n nasty firework as it went. Either that or we were wondering if unburnt powder had accumulated in the moderator and was set alight by the next good round.

I've had the occasional dead mans click but none that just ejected the bullet and I guess it comes down to a gut feeling and experience that it doesn't 'feel' right. Difficult with a rimfire.

Sounds like your round didn't have any powder in it and it was just the force of the primer going off that pushed the bullet into the barrel.

atb,

Fizz

Edited by fizzbangwhallop

I know a local gunsmith who showed me a barrel completely full of .22 rounds. One misfired, seems there was no powder in it, only the primer. The idiot then proceeded to load about seven more rounds, each of which thumped into the back of the previous round. The .22LR doesn't produce enough pressure to split a barrel. I'm not sure about the .17.

Was zeroing a mates 17HMR once and took a shot all i heard was a CLICK, looked at my mate and thought what the f**k happend. My mates said all he saw was a small amount of smoke come out the end of the mod.

So took the bolt out, looked at the round, bullet missing and powder still present....... OW SHIT!

Looked down the barrel and sow BLACK, i knew what happend and the only way we were to resolve the problem was to push it out with a cleaning rod. Got the bullet out and gave another look down the barrel and saw day light.

Just goes to show how easy it could have been if an unexperienced shot may have loaded another round into the breech and shot, the consequences could have been disastrous.

The ammo was a Winchester .17HMR V-Max 17Grain

Out today for a shoot and the lads 17 hmr misfired,the bullet seperated pushing the projectile just in the barrel about 3/4". I managed to put the cleaning rod down the and ram it out would this do any real damage.???

I buried the rest of the bullet under the headge in the field.

When I had a 17HMR I had the same thing happen Twice, like you I was on the case and realised that something was wrong.

Both times it was Remington ammo, I think the primer in the rim didn't fire properly as the main powder was still intact?

Anyway I decided a long time ago that the 17 was good, but no use to me, and got a 22.250 instead, I have a .270 for Deer

and used to use it for Foxes as well, but having the 17 proved useless for Fox and just filled Rabbits with Copper shards,

so reloadable .22 centrefire was the Fox rifle for me.