22 puma rifle barrel lenght what's best?

I believe the arguments go like this:

20"

With open sights the extra distance between the sights can lead to better accuracy from the shooter - not that the gun is more accurate - it's just easier to see mis-alignment of the sights. Some think a longer barrel will give higher velocity because the bullet is pushed for longer but for a 22LR the powder is all burnt by 14" so no velocity benefit of longer barrel. The center of balance will be further forwards which may make off hand shooting steadier.

16"

Easier to handle in vehicle, particularly with a moderator fitted. Lighter to carry.

If you can try them both for balance in the shop with moderators on and see which you prefer, I'd buy the 16". Well actually I wouldn't, I'd buy a CZ because the trigger is better and can be made even better with a £12 upgrade kit (trigger is important for extracting the most accuracy from rifle) and you can have a stock with a high comb so your eye more naturally lines up with the scope, droopy stocks are for shooting with open sights, I find my head floats around if I don't have a high comb and it takes longer to get on shot.

All I need is a permission where I can use rimfire and I can put my money where my mouth is :whistling:

Halam

I believe the arguments go like this:

20"

With open sights the extra distance between the sights can lead to better accuracy from the shooter - not that the gun is more accurate - it's just easier to see mis-alignment of the sights. Some think a longer barrel will give higher velocity because the bullet is pushed for longer but for a 22LR the powder is all burnt by 14" so no velocity benefit of longer barrel. The center of balance will be further forwards which may make off hand shooting steadier.

16"

Easier to handle in vehicle, particularly with a moderator fitted. Lighter to carry.

If you can try them both for balance in the shop with moderators on and see which you prefer, I'd buy the 16". Well actually I wouldn't, I'd buy a CZ because the trigger is better and can be made even better with a £12 upgrade kit (trigger is important for extracting the most accuracy from rifle) and you can have a stock with a high comb so your eye more naturally lines up with the scope, droopy stocks are for shooting with open sights, I find my head floats around if I don't have a high comb and it takes longer to get on shot.

All I need is a permission where I can use rimfire and I can put my money where my mouth is :whistling:

Halam

Kin ace reply. If you are really into target shooting, 20" barrel. In the field, 16". The tiny loss of accuracy is outweighed by the ease of swing!

Ric

Edited by RicW

Best? Depends on what you want it for. Either way there is not a lot in it so go by what feels right with a moderator on. It's kind of: if you have to ask then it doesn't matter. I'd buy 16" - if I bought second hand so only had the long choice I'd plan on cutting it down to just 14" sooner or later.

H

I'll be using for rabbit shooting out of the truck window.

as short as possible then, mines 14in (well more like 17 with the mod) and its soo much easyer to move round the car than my 20in (22 with mod) .223.

Apart from someone trying to sell them, have you ever had anyone recommended the Puma? I haven't. Cant even find a review anywhere - isn't it a JW15?

Apart from someone trying to sell something else, have you ever had anyone say there is anything to make you wary of CZ? I haven't.

What is it you like about the Puma?

H