Cocker dog too hot

This is my cocker dog who's rising two now, bred with more FTCH than ive had hot dinners and probably the best dog i'll ever own, my only problem with him is that he wants to please toomuch, maybe not a bad thing...but im worried because he hunts so hard, he looks about done by the third drive.

i know thats there nature but is there anything other than change food that would calm him slightly.....he's not getting the snip before anyone asks!

Regards

Tom

post-31610-0-05810800-1304062162_thumb.jpg

nothing much you can do mate ... the dog has been bred from a long line of FTCH that are bred to smash cover and work flat out for short periods of time whilst being judged ... you would have been better off just getting a dog from normal working stock ... i have a little black bitch here that has 41 FTCH in her 5 generation pedigree and she is exactly the same as your dog .....

nothing much you can do mate ... the dog has been bred from a long line of FTCH that are bred to smash cover and work flat out for short periods of time whilst being judged ... you would have been better off just getting a dog from normal working stock ... i have a little black bitch here that has 41 FTCH in her 5 generation pedigree and she is exactly the same as your dog .....

I did think the same, but just wanted in confirmed. Thing is, i wouldnt changed his style for the world, yes maybe a more "normal bred" dog would have been better for long days, but im sure once crossed back over, i should get something :thumbs:

All I would say is think of how you are working him many handlers have the dog hunt cover that the dog knows fine well has no game yet the handler insists on sending the dog in trust his nose and don't be afraid to hold him back a little so long as he is on good grub and is fit you shouldn't have too many problems :thumbs:

• Like 1

This is my cocker dog who's rising two now, bred with more FTCH than ive had hot dinners and probably the best dog i'll ever own, my only problem with him is that he wants to please toomuch, maybe not a bad thing...but im worried because he hunts so hard, he looks about done by the third drive.

i know thats there nature but is there anything other than change food that would calm him slightly.....he's not getting the snip before anyone asks!

Regards

Tom

socks sounds about right i,ve heard it said a few times keep away from ftch if your looking for working/beating cocker .

Regards

Tom

what lines is he from ?? sire / dam , he's a good looker :thumbs:

All I would say is think of how you are working him many handlers have the dog hunt cover that the dog knows fine well has no game yet the handler insists on sending the dog in <U>trust his nose and don't be afraid to hold him back a little</U> so long as he is on good grub and is fit you shouldn't have too many problems

agree with this comment 100%- work hard on pacing him, cos he sure as hell ain't gonna pace himself!

Regards

Tom

what lines is he from ?? sire / dam , he's a good looker :thumbs:

He's out of Dardnell dealer with Chyknell gold star the sire of the dam.

Many thanks for the replys, certainly makes sense with regards pacing him.

I had the same problem a few years back!

My mate described him as "A stick of dynamite".LOLOL

A great little dog but too much for me to handle.

He ended up with a friend of mine who was still young enough to keep up with him ! LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Bloody hell i could have wrote that!, same age, high FTCH breeding even looks the bloody same not from same litter are they?,carry on mate i think he will cool down as he gets older, hopefully lol.

yes good luck, i have a 7 year old spaniel that still works flat out on every drive, someetimes doing the same bit of cover 3 times just for the sake of it. she loves it..

i have seen a lot of cockers fade after dinner even people working one in the morning and bringing another one out after lunch. i was very carefull when i got my cocker has ftch in her pedagree but keeper bred worker to worker i have worked her hard for 4/5 days on a trot and shes still buzzing around

Regards

Tom

mate, [bANNED TEXT] an awesome dog.............wanna sell him to a new zealand home ?