Closed Season

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, you have a 50lb boat rod? That's so cool! Did you 'score' much with it?

Ideation, out of interest what is it you do exactly?? You seem to have a lot to say about everything on every topic going but yet (without searching) i have failed to read anything really of value, in

Let's face it the airgun section has always come alive in the summer. As for those with the kill counts i usually think I wouldn't admit to doing so little hunting lol For me summer is a time for som

Posted Images

Ideation, out of interest what is it you do exactly?? You seem to have a lot to say about everything on every topic going but yet (without searching) i have failed to read anything really of value, in terms of your fieldsport endevours.

I would love to have a read about these long lamping shifts over the summer and the hard work that goes in to them as would most of the people on here.

Im not having a pop matey, far from it, just interested as to where your wealth of knowlageable input comes from? :thumbs:

On topic, its both sides of the coin for me, i have permissions where we control the rabbits in order to preserve the population for the winter months, so through the summer we make an effort to show our faces and BE SEEN to be doing a bit but thats all it is.

Again like most just to keep the freezer stocked for the ferrets. Over the years this has been a lesson learned, as some spots which had good rabbit numbers we slowly knocked them down through summertime shooting and the numbers are now very sparce. I dont find it enjoyable trecking several miles up and down dale for the odd rabbit.

On the other hand there is a lot of other land i work where i am paid to control the numbers and keep the population down. Part of this pest control work will be done by shooting but more often than not other methods will be employed.

If i had very limited permissions, as a rule i would be leaving them well alone at the moment, letting them get on with the breeding and ensuring i had something to look forward to in winter.

As for kill chart tallys, well :whistling:

Your right mate, i do have a lot to say on certain things, but how much of it is total bollocks or incorrect information? And your right i have never put up a post with pictures of my day out, or ever posted a picture of my dogs or ferrets, or anything i have killed (although there are pics others have put up). And sadly mate, i'm probably not going to, although i have told myself to take a camera ferreting next year. And what do i do? Well, all kinds of stuff, and maybe all my information is just made up off the top of my head, but i can tell you it isn't, it's up to you what you believe. :thumbs:

And the rest of what you wrote pretty much sums up EXACTLY what i mean, when it needs doing it gets done, when people think it needs doing, they are left thinking it's been done, and if it doesn't need doing, you should be happy get on with what does. :thumbs:

Wish I had someone with ferrets close to me, come September there would be some damned spectacular action!

warrensize.jpg

That is a warren 6 feet high, those are full grown trees on top of it!

I don't mind helping you, but i am sure you have plenty of offers already.

I have very little permision, but am happy to take rabbits anytime of the year as and when I see them or the dog see them, same goes for wood pigeon, rats, ferals, corvids and grey squizzers.

Dont see hares so dosent come into it.

Little by little wont make an impact on population species in that area.

Game :-

However I will not take duck / pheasant and partridge out of season (unless im realy hungry :laugh: )

At the end of the day its your permision and you will know when to hit it hard and when to ease off and if you dont you wont have much to go at for very long your loss.

My take on it, not from any great amount of experiance, just how I think. :thumbs:

.atb. .ste.

Edited by rossi_j

People always claming to be doing pest control. Now, if they need to do so in summer, it means, either there are genuinly a huge number of pests (so the bags should be massive right?), it's a new permission they have just gained and so need to make immediate impact on the pests, or lets face it true for most, they are just not that effective at removing the pests, if it really was 'pest control' and the land owner was genuinely wanting every thing dead asap, they would hardly be keen on you nipping up a couple of times a week and knocking over one or two pests each time, they would want full day and night shifts till the problem was sorted or get someone else. So it remains that in most cases, people confuse permission to keep 'pest species' down, with some kind of order to be a pro pestie. You should know your land, how much it holds and what you need to do, if you always desperately chasing your tail trying to cut them down, then you need to look at your methods, or just accept your just having some sport and helping put a wee bit.

or may be the land owner/farmer do's not want to be spending huge amounts of money on day and night shifts as you put it,, maybe he's happy to have lads that he knows and trust on there a few times a week, sometimes its one or two taken other times its a hell of a lot more,, i no when i have chats with the farmer hes happy with the amount that we do with the air guns/firearms, and he's also happy with what the lads that ferret, do,

we all no the land very well and talk between our selfs and with the farmer about problem areas and numbers very often. therfor its pest control yes he would like them to be eradicated but on this land thats never going to happen what ever the method used,

the lads with the ferrets stop come summer, if we also stoped then the place would be over run and there would be even bigger chuncks of his crops missing, stoping in the summer months while there breading like mad is just not an option, even tho in mild winters rabbits will continue to bread all year.,

for the record i dont really agree with the kill counts on the sigs my self, gives a blood thirsty impression, as for listing what "toys".we have, this is an air gun section where we all share an intrest in air guns, if some one askes a question about an Air Arms rifle say,and i answer,they no that its what i use so no what im talking about....it helps and saves time thats all..

This comes back to why I don't shoot the kitts on my permission. Something for which I, and at least one other chap here, has recieved a degree of criticism for our sense of sporting hunting. I don't agree with the wholesale slaughter of warrens. I never want to see the countryside denuded of rabbits and pidgeons. Myxy and natural predation has killed a great many as it is. If I seriously wanted to reduce the numbers of rabbits here in the name of "pest control", I'd use a precharged multishot rifle set to around 30ft/lbs on my fac, or, a 17HMR and flatten the lot.

But I wouldn't start moaning as to why I don't have anything left to shoot by the Autumn if I did.

This is the edited version of my poast after I read it back to myself, according to thl server I am no longer authorised to edit my own post?? Strange!

I have very little permision, but am happy to take rabbits anytime of the year as and when I see them or the dog see them, same goes for wood pigeon, rats, ferals, corvids and grey squizzers.

Dont see hares so dosent come into it.

Little by little wont make an impact on population species in that area, just keeps it under control, hense pest 'control' also plugging away at it through the year keeps you in the eyes of the farmer who wont give your permision away when he hasnt seen you around for months.

Game :-

However I will not take duck / pheasant and partridge out of season.

At the end of the day its your permision and you will know when to hit it hard and when to ease off and if you dont you wont have much to go at for very long your loss.

My take on it, not from any great amount of experiance, just how I think. :thumbs:

Each to there own imo, every permision and farmer is different and you have to use your own judgement to do what is best for you, the land, the farmer and your sport.

.atb. .ste.

you would think some people would use that bit between their ears and realise they are killing off next years sport! I'm not talking about pest control business here only people who Hunt for sport.

My situation is I have some good land with Rabbits in good numbers in parts. last year a couple of lads gained permision to shoot some bunnies which is fair enough due to the size of the land.

What pisses me off is last year they mullered the popluation out of sight and doing the same this year in the summer months Lamping with a pair of Rimmy's. I walked round the estate last year after they had been round and saw the biggest pile of Rabbit guts I have ever set eyes on, I then ended up Ferreting empty burrows time and time again! the place had been hammered bigtime.

even this year I have been for a look and the Rabbits are a good quarter the numbers they used to be if that. these are younng lads who are a bit trigger happy who havn't quite sussed the impact they are having on not only their sport but everyone elses on the estate :doh:

atb Jasp

People always claming to be doing pest control. Now, if they need to do so in summer, it means, either there are genuinly a huge number of pests (so the bags should be massive right?), it's a new permission they have just gained and so need to make immediate impact on the pests, or lets face it true for most, they are just not that effective at removing the pests, if it really was 'pest control' and the land owner was genuinely wanting every thing dead asap, they would hardly be keen on you nipping up a couple of times a week and knocking over one or two pests each time, they would want full day and night shifts till the problem was sorted or get someone else. So it remains that in most cases, people confuse permission to keep 'pest species' down, with some kind of order to be a pro pestie. You should know your land, how much it holds and what you need to do, if you always desperately chasing your tail trying to cut them down, then you need to look at your methods, or just accept your just having some sport and helping put a wee bit.

or may be the land owner/farmer do's not want to be spending huge amounts of money on day and night shifts as you put it,, maybe he's happy to have lads that he knows and trust on there a few times a week, sometimes its one or two taken other times its a hell of a lot more,, i no when i have chats with the farmer hes happy with the amount that we do with the air guns/firearms, and he's also happy with what the lads that ferret, do,

we all no the land very well and talk between our selfs and with the farmer about problem areas and numbers very often. therfor its pest control yes he would like them to be eradicated but on this land thats never going to happen what ever the method used,

the lads with the ferrets stop come summer, if we also stoped then the place would be over run and there would be even bigger chuncks of his crops missing, stoping in the summer months while there breading like mad is just not an option, even tho in mild winters rabbits will continue to bread all year.,

for the record i dont really agree with the kill counts on the sigs my self, gives a blood thirsty impression, as for listing what "toys".we have, this is an air gun section where we all share an intrest in air guns, if some one askes a question about an Air Arms rifle say,and i answer,they no that its what i use so no what im talking about....it helps and saves time thats all..

Again, your right in many ways mate.

But firstly, i was not talking about YOU personally, just in general.

People talk about the millions of pounds of damage being done on their land, horses being shot all over the shop, roads collapsing, crops ruined, and farmers desperate for every last rabbit killed on sight or 'permission will be lost.

My argument would be that in this case most farmers would want an immediate and final solution. If however they are happy with someone shooting the odd rabbit, or even say 10 a week, then it would suggest that the above idea is a fantasy.

Most farmers if they really do have a massive problem, would want the most efficient method used.

Then of course, there are cases where permission is 'shared', and in that case you have to wonder why you don't have it all yourself? Because you can't do the job that's needed to the level needed. (not you personally before you take offense mate).

If land is well covered, and in anything apart from a crazy infestation, it IS possible with some hard work to pretty much eradicate (or at least reduce by like 80-90%) the rabit population on the land.

I don't even know why i'm debating this, i did say that in a lot of land it IS really needed and a genuine pest control service is being provided, what i was trying to point out is that if you are claiming this as a reason for shooting all summer, and claiming that the land is being ripped apart by hordes of bunnies etc, then your 'kill count' should be more than a few dozen for the year, should it not?

People just need to be honest, if thats your thing, shooting in summer for fun, just admit it.