Closed Season

hi guys,

generally i leave the kits alone on my fave permissions,so me and the dog get a good walk, a chance of dinner and a bit more of a challenge, theres a couple of other guys that shoot them and they seem to do the same, so i have a nice couple of places to enjoy all year round, with songbirds aplenty, and the best view on the south downs.

that said, i also shoot a few liveries where the owners want everything wiped out if poss, and here i'll take the odd kit in order to be seen to be doing so, and use my discretion where possible as far as milky does go. the owners are happy with what i do, and my concience is clear.

i'll take squirrels at every opportunity, and corvids get it all year too if i line em up quick enough to actually shoot em, purely to keep the songbirds numbers up, and my listening pleasure maintained.

cheers, wurz

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, you have a 50lb boat rod? That's so cool! Did you 'score' much with it?

Ideation, out of interest what is it you do exactly?? You seem to have a lot to say about everything on every topic going but yet (without searching) i have failed to read anything really of value, in

Let's face it the airgun section has always come alive in the summer. As for those with the kill counts i usually think I wouldn't admit to doing so little hunting lol For me summer is a time for som

Posted Images

Looks to me like a case of all different land/circumstance/requirements, manage yours to suit YOU!

I do!! :thumbs:

But if people are having problems with hares, please net them and bring them over here :thumbs::laugh:

.atb. .ste.

hi

i think i might have to re write my permission forms!

going on what is being said here!

it should read as this "shouldn't it?"

just a few paragraphs edited as follows

Dear Sir / Madam

First of all, I would like to take this chance to thank you for taking the time to

read this letter.I’m writing to enquire whether there is an opportunity for vermin control on your

land free of charge,

My name is bill bloggs I am 49 years old, married with two children and live in bloggsville.

I have been shooting for 15 years now and enjoy shooting very much.

Along with the added bonus of Helping The land owner/farmer by controlling vermin such as.

Pigeons, magpie, rooks, crows, rabbits, rats, squirrels.

With this in mind, I feel we can be of some assistance to you,

Should you offer me permission to shoot for Vermin on Your land?

i have some conditions!!

i will not!! shoot kits,milky does,bucks,also i cant shoot all year round!

All property, borders and Boundaries

Will be respected. I can also be your eyes & ears when I am on your land – I can keep a watch for any

fly Tipping of rubbish or people trespassing on your land ( coursing) :tongue2:

and inform you directly of any occurrences.

how many land owners do you think will give me permission if i submitted the above paragraph in the letter :blink:

not many would they,so i do what i put in the permission,unless instructed otherwise!

i shoot all year round end of!

regards

Davy

Aye good stuff. Maybe not everyone needs to though, and takes the position of deciding to leave alone during the breeding season, some of us have enough permission that we can have that choice. Nice to have that choice though. I suppose if you dont then you have to do what your told.

ATB

we are all different.......and do things the way that suits us....and rightly so.

we have something different from each other for tea everynight.........a post about that wouldn't cause this kind of reaction.

why is it always seen as "having a go".......or "winding up" ?????

the fine art of debate and discussion seems to be coming as rare as some of our song birds....it seems !!!!!

I cant and wont lay off in the summer there a pest species and breed to unnatural levels if left

Last year i tried to take a month off the rabbits and i got a phone call from one of my farmers i thought you where a rabbit controller well get your a*se up here there was a pile of big bales in his yard and there was a pair of rabbits in them as i had thought about longnetting round it and trying the ferrets .

I went up with my rimmy and shot 34 rabbits without moving from his garden okay they weren't all big rabbits but what would they have been like at the end of the summer

Cant speak for anyone else but i think it all depends on the ground. If you are covering alot of land which is being damaged by rabbits and are asked to clear them then you should. In that kind of scenario, especially at this time of year, you should be showing big bags everytime, a few years ago we took 250+ in a night lamping off the pick up. The ground was over run and the guy i was shooting with was contracted to reduce the numbers. That is pest control. Shooting a handful of rabbits off a few acres every now and then is not the same.

Personally i dont hunt much in summer but i am out all winter. We dont have massive numbers round here and if properly done over the winter the ground can be left alone in the summer. Im not averse to a walk round with the rifle in the summer evenings, i shoot for the pot or dog/ferret food. I target 3/4 growns as they are better eating. I do this because i enjoy it, i dont pretend its pest control.

Rabbits dont need a closed season, hunters need to know what they are doing and why they are doing it. Common sense, as stated preiviously, is not that common.

we are all different.......and do things the way that suits us....and rightly so.

we have something different from each other for tea everynight.........a post about that wouldn't cause this kind of reaction.

the fine art of debate and discussion seems to be coming as rare as some of our song birds....it seems !!!!!

Yeah I agree, all seems to end in name calling and abuse. The number of posts in the airgun hunting section seems to of tailed off too.

People to scared to post about there escapades for fear pc persecution, post being pulled and whole load of white generally aimed at airgunners.

No pics from the mole either who has been on receiving end of abuse.

Personally I try to remain impartial to any hunting activities within the law and.congratulate those who get out there and then take the time to write about it.

As for whackin the odd magpie in the name of song bird survival studies have shown that they have no detrimental effect on numbers nor do squizzers but most are happy enough to whack them all year round.

Karpman

Yeah I agree, all seems to end in name calling and abuse. The number of posts in the airgun hunting section seems to of tailed off too.

People to scared to post about there escapades for fear pc persecution, post being pulled and whole load of white generally aimed at airgunners.

No pics from the mole either who has been on receiving end of abuse.

Personally I try to remain impartial to any hunting activities within the law and.congratulate those who get out there and then take the time to write about it.

As for whackin the odd magpie in the name of song bird survival studies have shown that they have no detrimental effect on numbers nor do squizzers but most are happy enough to whack them all year round.

Karpman

Totally agree K-Man,it wasn't that long ago that several members made the point that this was the best section on the Forum,......where art thou. :hmm:

Sorry Karpman, but Mole has been lying under a cloud of secretagent stuff (been quite busy on the permission front, getting a pigeon one to compliment my rabbit ones, so now all I need is some squirrel and it will be a rare old vermin pie for tea)! I stopped posting as I was getting hassle from some for shooting pregnant/milky does. Well my permission holder wants all gone, my other permission holder has the same attitude and seeing as they have one which is emminently suitable for ferrets, I am getting a couple of the ferret boys down in September to wipe it out for them. I know that within 6 months it will be full again as rabbits from the fields and the rest of their damned garden etc will find it and use it! But it should get them over most of a winter without further damage to tree roots and banking!

Most of what I shoot is ditches covered in brambles near fields, the rabbits have the warrens in the ditches using brambles as cover (8 feet high and 12 feet long jobs, thorns like a sabre toothed tiger's teeth, damned nasty), making it impossible to ferret. The ones in the bunny towers (earth piles from ditch digging and clearing) have brambles or nettles all over them, so not much chance of ferreting those and they empty into the ditch under brambles as well as onto the track!

People are using 12 bores to blast kits down here (makes a hell of a mess that), so there is obviously a major infestation, especially if I can drop 8 after setting a rifle up today! No matter how effective I am I think the rabbits propensity for reproduction outpaces my ability on rabbit removal. But the permission owners see me plugging away and feel happy that something is being done about the problem, at no cost to them! In order to continue enjoying my sport I will do as my permission holders ask! Which on all 4 of the rabbit ones is, kill them all!

Edited to say that due to exception demand by Karpman, I have put a hunting post up, this damned Daystate puts pellets right through kit's heads you know!

Edited by secretagentmole

Some people just can't help themselves mate, and will very quickly reel out the 'pest control' rubbish when someone pulls them up on it. Each to their own i suppose, but i think it's just got something to do with understanding the land and respecting it. At the end of the day a lot of folk that hunt these days are kids, desperate for a big bag and recognition / acknowledgment of their 'hunting prowess'. Same kind of folk who rush home to update their 'kill count' in their under sig after a day out. Obviously having said all that, there are occasions and situations where extreme prejudice is needed in order to remove a pest successfully, but for most folk that's in their mind rather than a reality.

It simple mate.some pests.Need to be kept under control.A lot of birds i seen often as a lad.Are non existent in this area now.:thumbs: .

Yes mate i know, and i'm not talking about that :thumbs: Some folk do it for all or some of the right reasons but face it some will always do it for the 'score' and the pub tales.

some of us do it because we enjoy it lol, I personaly do it for fresh meat..

Havent seen a mistle thrush/song thrush/skylark/barn owl in this area for about ten years.Hedge sparrows/tawny owl.And many others are geting scare also.Something is going wrong.atb.Catcher.:thumbs:

Found this today.First one in a long time.Click to enlarge.:thumbs:

post-34669-0-93682900-1304094528_thumb.jpg

Hey guys

Just rolled up at my perm first thing I clap eyes on a young doe with myxie.

Put the poor Bugger to sleep of course and can't help but feel a little gutted.

Karpman

Bad times mate, time to get culling and hope they bounce back.

Well the nettles die back but the forking great tangle of brambles do not (and the holes seem to come out right in the middle of the stuffing things). I am also sure some of the warren runs go under the track and across into the brambles on the other side (track about 7 foot wide). All warrens are very close to each other. Could it be a mega warren?