Closed Season

Some people just can't help themselves mate, and will very quickly reel out the 'pest control' rubbish when someone pulls them up on it. Each to their own i suppose, but i think it's just got something to do with understanding the land and respecting it. At the end of the day a lot of folk that hunt these days are kids, desperate for a big bag and recognition / acknowledgment of their 'hunting prowess'. Same kind of folk who rush home to update their 'kill count' in their under sig after a day out. Obviously having said all that, there are occasions and situations where extreme prejudice is needed in order to remove a pest successfully, but for most folk that's in their mind rather than a reality.

It simple mate.some pests.Need to be kept under control.A lot of birds i seen often as a lad.Are non existent in this area now.:thumbs: .

Yes mate i know, and i'm not talking about that :thumbs: Some folk do it for all or some of the right reasons but face it some will always do it for the 'score' and the pub tales.

some of us do it because we enjoy it lol, I personaly do it for fresh meat..

Havent seen a mistle thrush/song thrush/skylark/barn owl in this area for about ten years.Hedge sparrows/tawny owl.And many others are geting scare also.Something is going wrong.atb.Catcher.:thumbs:

Hi mate don't know were your from but all but barn owl are fairly abundant round here, just last night I sat listening to skylarks whilst watching a little owl watch kits as dusk approached.

Hedge sparrows or dunnocks are everywhere tree sparrows are in decline as is the humble house sparrow and starling, the biggest threat to birds is loss of habitat and the misguided.

Hen harriers are persecuted to near extinction by the misguided but let's leave this on another thread.

Karpman

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, you have a 50lb boat rod? That's so cool! Did you 'score' much with it?

Ideation, out of interest what is it you do exactly?? You seem to have a lot to say about everything on every topic going but yet (without searching) i have failed to read anything really of value, in

Let's face it the airgun section has always come alive in the summer. As for those with the kill counts i usually think I wouldn't admit to doing so little hunting lol For me summer is a time for som

Posted Images

Some people just can't help themselves mate, and will very quickly reel out the 'pest control' rubbish when someone pulls them up on it. Each to their own i suppose, but i think it's just got something to do with understanding the land and respecting it. At the end of the day a lot of folk that hunt these days are kids, desperate for a big bag and recognition / acknowledgment of their 'hunting prowess'. Same kind of folk who rush home to update their 'kill count' in their under sig after a day out. Obviously having said all that, there are occasions and situations where extreme prejudice is needed in order to remove a pest successfully, but for most folk that's in their mind rather than a reality.

It simple mate.some pests.Need to be kept under control.A lot of birds i seen often as a lad.Are non existent in this area now.:thumbs: .

Yes mate i know, and i'm not talking about that :thumbs: Some folk do it for all or some of the right reasons but face it some will always do it for the 'score' and the pub tales.

Havent seen a mistle thrush/song thrush/skylark/barn owl in this area for about ten years.Hedge sparrows/tawny owl.And many others are geting scare also.Something is going wrong.atb.Catcher.:thumbs:

Got a song thrush :toast: sitting on 5 eggs in my lonicera hedge,wether they all hatch/fledge is another matter.

Nice one would love to see a pic if possible.:thumbs: Just keep the magpies away is you can.:thumbs:

hi

i think i might have to re write my permission forms!

going on what is being said here!

it should read as this "shouldn't it?"

just a few paragraphs edited as follows

Dear Sir / Madam

First of all, I would like to take this chance to thank you for taking the time to

read this letter.I’m writing to enquire whether there is an opportunity for vermin control on your

land free of charge,

My name is bill bloggs I am 49 years old, married with two children and live in bloggsville.

I have been shooting for 15 years now and enjoy shooting very much.

Along with the added bonus of Helping The land owner/farmer by controlling vermin such as.

Pigeons, magpie, rooks, crows, rabbits, rats, squirrels.

With this in mind, I feel we can be of some assistance to you,

Should you offer me permission to shoot for Vermin on Your land?

i have some conditions!!

i will not!! shoot kits,milky does,bucks,also i cant shoot all year round!

All property, borders and Boundaries

Will be respected. I can also be your eyes & ears when I am on your land – I can keep a watch for any

fly Tipping of rubbish or people trespassing on your land ( coursing) :tongue2:

and inform you directly of any occurrences.

how many land owners do you think will give me permission if i submitted the above paragraph in the letter :blink:

not many would they,so i do what i put in the permission,unless instructed otherwise!

i shoot all year round end of!

regards

Davy

Got a song thrush :toast: sitting on 5 eggs in my lonicera hedge,wether they all hatch/fledge is another matter.

Nice one would love to see a pic if possible.:thumbs: Just keep the magpies away is you can.:thumbs:

Yeah me too, first black birds fledged last Sunday always a treat, heard me first cuckoo today also. Bit off topic.

Always enjoy a.Davy reply.

Karpman

Yeah me too, first black birds fledged last Sunday always a treat, heard me first cuckoo today also. Bit off topic.

Karpman

cuckoo another bird i havent heard in a while.:sick:

Karpman

cuckoo another bird i havent heard in a while.:sick:

Don't think there under any major threat either, there migrating back so anytime now should be good.

Corn buntings are getting bloody rare round here and turtle doves almost don't exist.

All habitat destruction of course, were we heading here lol.

Karpman

Edit should of said first cuckoo this year.

Edited by Karpman

Mate,the dog has lifted the bird off the nest a fair few times :wallbash: when i have had a quick look at the nest :icon_eek: it looks like it has been built by a young pair as it is not very substantil.The dog is banned from the front garden :toast: will try to get pics of the fledgings.

And the second one is the best possible reason of all :thumbs:

• Like 1

Just a thought but should this not be on the conservation board anyway instead of just trying to get airgunners backs up again... yawn

Karpman.

First and formost I shoot Rabbits with a Air Rifle which is why its been posted in the "Air Rifle Discusion" section.

No wind up intended whatsoever. I wanted other peoples views on a self imposed closed season leaving certain sporting stock to replenish for further years sport, seems to me most on the thread have the common sense to let some reproduce for futher seasons by useing their loaf.

If some numpty decides to shag their own sport up on their land thats up to them, pretty much Guarrantee these are the one's that go looking for other peopls land for sport when theirs it totaly dead :yes:...

Jasp

hi

Dear Sir / Madam

First of all, I would like to take this chance to thank you for taking the time to

read this letter.I’m writing to enquire whether there is an opportunity for vermin control on your

land free of charge,

My name is bill bloggs I am 49 years old, married with two children and live in bloggsville.

Along with the added bonus of Helping The land owner/farmer by controlling vermin such as.

i have some conditions!!

Will be respected. I can also be your eyes & ears when I am on your land – I can keep a watch for any

how many land owners do you think will give me permission if i submitted the above paragraph in the letter :blink:

not many would they,so i do what i put in the permission,unless instructed otherwise!

regards

Davy

Of course we don't state conditions such as this Davy. I'm out nearly every evening and bag what I find in numbers that present themselves. I just hold off on the kitts only, because I want them better grown and tasty for the pot by Autumn. As you've seen for yourself, the rabbits don't exactly tumble out of the woods in vast numbers on my permission as once they did so many years ago. If I had the numbers and crop damages that others have, with replenishing numbers of rabbits each year. I would be shooting everything in sight. Kitts included.

ATB

Simon

Mate,the dog has lifted the bird off the nest a fair few times :wallbash: when i have had a quick look at the nest :icon_eek: it looks like it has been built by a young pair as it is not very substantil.The dog is banned from the front garden :toast: will try to get pics of the fledgings.

:thumbs:

Jasper with all due respect mate the only weapon you mentioned in the first post.was 12g, not air rifle. Your post is directly about conservation of sport and or species and refers to rabbit as game.

And there you go insulting folk calling them numptys.

I shall be shooting some number of kits in the near future, as few as I can get away with to keep my living larder.

Atb

Karpman

hi

Dear Sir / Madam

land free of charge,

i have some conditions!!

regards

Davy

Of course we don't state conditions such as this Davy. I'm out nearly every evening and bag what I find in numbers that present themselves. I just hold off on the kitts only, because I want them better grown and tasty for the pot by Autumn. As you've seen for yourself, the rabbits don't exactly tumble out of the woods in vast numbers on my permission as once they did so many years ago. If I had the numbers and crop damages that others have, with replenishing numbers of rabbits each year. I would be shooting everything in sight. Kitts included.

ATB

Simon

Either that, or it's just a case of, look, by the time breeding season comes around, you are only going to have a few rabbits dotted about, and when spring comes and the damage is very minimal in comparison to before you had it, the farmer is usually too busy congratulating you, and counting his money to worry about the odd kit, they're rabbits, they're part of the environment. Then as long as they have your number and feel happy with you to give you a shout if anything presents a problem, your all good. Anyway, there are other pests to be worrying about during spring/summer, which you can turn attention to and further please the farmer, if the rabbits have been efficiently slapped down over winter.

If your constantly needed back and forth killing bunnies on one mans land, is he that likely to recommend you to someone else and so reduce the visits you can make to his? But if you get the job done in a short ish period, to a manageable level, he'll be happy to let you move on and just keep tabs on his land.