Closed Season

you would think some people would use that bit between their ears and realise they are killing off next years sport! I'm not talking about pest control business here only people who Hunt for sport.

My situation is I have some good land with Rabbits in good numbers in parts. last year a couple of lads gained permision to shoot some bunnies which is fair enough due to the size of the land.

What pisses me off is last year they mullered the popluation out of sight and doing the same this year in the summer months Lamping with a pair of Rimmy's. I walked round the estate last year after they had been round and saw the biggest pile of Rabbit guts I have ever set eyes on, I then ended up Ferreting empty burrows time and time again! the place had been hammered bigtime.

even this year I have been for a look and the Rabbits are a good quarter the numbers they used to be if that. these are younng lads who are a bit trigger happy who havn't quite sussed the impact they are having on not only their sport but everyone elses on the estate :doh:

atb Jasp

Not wanting to start a ruck, but with shooting, that's the way, they shoot them on some parts here with rifle and night vision, and believe me, they can reduce the population of fox and rabbit to pretty much zero, very rapidly, then they move on (by the way, THEY are paying to shoot the land for sport not pesting).

Midnight cowboys mate, they will kill off land faster than anything else. With a rifle at night, you'd have to be a retard not to bag up, it's the easiest "fieldsport" (yer right) there is and massively growing in popularity.

And i aint saying this because i own a dog before any smart arses start their bitching.

Edited by Ideation

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, you have a 50lb boat rod? That's so cool! Did you 'score' much with it?

Ideation, out of interest what is it you do exactly?? You seem to have a lot to say about everything on every topic going but yet (without searching) i have failed to read anything really of value, in

Let's face it the airgun section has always come alive in the summer. As for those with the kill counts i usually think I wouldn't admit to doing so little hunting lol For me summer is a time for som

Posted Images

Some people just can't help themselves mate, and will very quickly reel out the 'pest control' rubbish when someone pulls them up on it. Each to their own i suppose, but i think it's just got something to do with understanding the land and respecting it. At the end of the day a lot of folk that hunt these days are kids, desperate for a big bag and recognition / acknowledgment of their 'hunting prowess'. Same kind of folk who rush home to update their 'kill count' in their under sig after a day out. Obviously having said all that, there are occasions and situations where extreme prejudice is needed in order to remove a pest successfully, but for most folk that's in their mind rather than a reality.

It simple mate.some pests.Need to be kept under control.A lot of birds i seen often as a lad.Are non existent in this area now.:thumbs: .

Some people just can't help themselves mate, and will very quickly reel out the 'pest control' rubbish when someone pulls them up on it. Each to their own i suppose, but i think it's just got something to do with understanding the land and respecting it. At the end of the day a lot of folk that hunt these days are kids, desperate for a big bag and recognition / acknowledgment of their 'hunting prowess'. Same kind of folk who rush home to update their 'kill count' in their under sig after a day out. Obviously having said all that, there are occasions and situations where extreme prejudice is needed in order to remove a pest successfully, but for most folk that's in their mind rather than a reality.

It simple mate.some pests.Need to be kept under control.A lot of birds i seen often as a lad.Are non existent in this area now.:thumbs: .

Yes mate i know, and i'm not talking about that :thumbs: Some folk do it for all or some of the right reasons but face it some will always do it for the 'score' and the pub tales.

Yes mate i know, and i'm not talking about that :thumbs: Some folk do it for all or some of the right reasons but face it some will always do it for the 'score' and the pub tales.

Heard the stories.:yes:

I shoot dyuring daylight and dusk, never stay more than an hour beyond dark if I stay that long, I bag what I can as that is what I have been asked to do and as stated before, dont generally put up kit photos, unless like the last one they are black kits! Darned unusual them. There is no skill in shooting kits! Adults yes and I have had fun stalking over long distances as well as shooting from the prone ambush! I have also put a request up on the ferret site as to help someone save a lot of expensive work in their garden I need a ferreter, with about 100 nets and 5 ferrets... I realise this job is too big for a man and an air rifle and this is one bit of the permission where ferrets are best (no brambles, gardened banks, easy working. Don't mind sharing my permission because these people need help!

Edited to say got interest from a ferreter in Worksop, him and his friend should be able to work this with me! Be good, been decades since I was with a ferreter!

Edited by secretagentmole

Got my perm about two months after getting back into country pursuits. It's four rugby pitches with a good few rabbits not what I would call and infestation but they are digging in the pitch and starting to create problems.

I shot another rabbit for the pot last night and after showing the chap I deal with he was most pleased, but asked about the number of young rabbits and what I am doing about them. So a couple of kits must go end off.

As for method of control air rifle is one if the more effective ways in this case, most warren border a country park or are of rubble type, they want numbers reducing now and I am doing it for free to feed my self and my family.

Imposing a close season on rabbits is a silly notion, hares maybe. But don't knock folks for doing what they want on there perm I have a lurcher also who can't bloody wait forbid first winter.

Karpman

some of us do it because we enjoy it lol, I personaly do it for fresh meat..

i pity the man that just shoots for shootings sake

we are hunters, naturalists and conservationists.

it is NOT about large bags, its about common sense and ultimately, respect for the quarry.

pest control has its place......but it should be control.....not destruction :thumbs:

i agree there are places where total eradication of a species is neccesary, but not everywhere.

Whilst I agree that this has been posted up here to wind folk up ,,,,(Oh yes it has !!!),,,,

My view is that the rabbits wont get touched till they are big enough for the pot, and does are left, If landowners complain, I explain why I find it distastefull to shoot at this time of year. If they insist and I want that permission kept, then it has to happen, but 99% of the time, I get my own way.

I will be busy with the branchers soon, and that keeps them happy.

ATB

closed season ? ffs only here lol

wheat is £200 a tonne

cows are £600+

do you think the farmer wants you to give the rabbits the time to breed? i do hope some of you with this silly notion are in my area because your permission will soon be mine lol

and for 6ft high warrens lol so much for the experienced hey .

rabbits dont respect boundries so dont worry they will be back as they are / have been since day dot.

may i suggest all the little bitches who hate to see the little wickle bunnies get shot this time of year give up the shooting or go buy a bit of land do as you please and piss off your neighbouring land owner.

i was out last night and yes young where in the count , nothing is wasted as they go in the larsen traps or ferrets , if you cant manage your permission ffs give it to someone who can.

HONESTLY LISTEN TO YOURSELVES.

• Like 1

Havent seen a mistle thrush/song thrush/skylark/barn owl in this area for about ten years.Hedge sparrows/tawny owl.And many others are geting scare also.Something is going wrong.atb.Catcher.:thumbs:

Havent seen a mistle thrush/song thrush/skylark/barn owl in this area for about ten years.Hedge sparrows/tawny owl.And many others are geting scare also.Something is going wrong.atb.Catcher.:thumbs:

Got a song thrush :toast: sitting on 5 eggs in my lonicera hedge,wether they all hatch/fledge is another matter.

Got a song thrush :toast: sitting on 5 eggs in my lonicera hedge,wether they all hatch/fledge is another matter.

Nice one would love to see a pic if possible.:thumbs: