• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I keep watching now and then Clipper, (dont want to intrude too much) but no sign of a cock bird helping :(

i dont know anything about canarys finchs , ive one on eggs that no cock bird feeds so does it matter?

With my mules i get the cock onto another hen(if i have one doing nothing) as soon as the other hen goes down tight and i've not lost a chick yet to any hens not keeping up with the chicks demands.Saying that my greenie cock if left in with them will help feed the young as well as feeding the hen :thumbs: ,my goldie cock will feed the hen but not the chicks.

Decided to sit and watch for longer today, and i have identified 'Daddy' :D Watched as he stood on the edge of the nest pan, did not appear to feed the chicks, but when the hen came and sat on them, he fed her.

She is a Gloster corona and he is a small bird mainly yellow with a greeny/brown patch on his back.

Also have a really cute yellow Border type (husband still unknown) And a Gloster consort hen (Husband unknown) both sitting.

The possible fathers are either... Yellow border, Corona Gloster or a red factor.

Cannot wait to see what they turn out like :boogie:

Decided to sit and watch for longer today, and i have identified 'Daddy' :D Watched as he stood on the edge of the nest pan, did not appear to feed the chicks, but when the hen came and sat on them, he fed her.

She is a Gloster corona and he is a small bird mainly yellow with a greeny/brown patch on his back.

Also have a really cute yellow Border type (husband still unknown) And a Gloster consort hen (Husband unknown) both sitting.

The possible fathers are either... Yellow border, Corona Gloster or a red factor.

Good luck with your chicks Moll :thumbs:

I've got a black red factor hen sat on 4 eggs and i'm going to try some mules I think too.

any pics a yer glosters moll :thumbs:

No mate i've been lucky but not every egg has hatched so he may well have poked a hole in one in the past allthough i do candle all my eggs and check them over and i haven't found one with anything wrong with it except it being clear,i don't think i'd risk it with any other goldie cock as like i say mate i've been lucky :thumbs: .

how do you candle eggs , my first were duds second ive seen the cock bird tread her loads , third no cock bird has been near

only ever done it way pigeon eggs mate, an i used a maglite under the egg an shone it up throo the egg, way pigeons its best to leave it 2 weeks before looking as after 2 weeks can tell for deffo ifs a dud or not, not sure aboot canarys an finchs tho :thumbs: