cant wait to get my aviary up and running.just finishing the decor in the house then ill make start.should have sorted by end of year.ill be looking for british birds so if anyone in scotland has spare ones to sell.just to get me started.total novice so something relatively easy to start with.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well done Moll. Now, i am certainly not an expert in such matters but i always left the eggs in as the hen bird won't start incubating them properly until they are practically all laid. Typically 4-5 eggs. The cock bird will have already been feeding her as this is part of the 'courtship' in the run up to mating itself. The hen has to be certain that her cock is going to be faithful and feed her on the nest as she incubates you see. :notworthy: They mainly mate as soon as they wake up....Morning Glory and all that! :D

Good luck with them, and, like others have said, soak seed, brocolli and egg food is the way forward... :thumbs:

like you i have left em to it,but more are lost if the eggs dont go under the hen on the same day due to size diff in chicks when hatched ,so dummy eggs is the best way :thumbs: imo.

Well done Moll. Now, i am certainly not an expert in such matters but i always left the eggs in as the hen bird won't start incubating them properly until they are practically all laid. Typically 4-5 eggs. The cock bird will have already been feeding her as this is part of the 'courtship' in the run up to mating itself. The hen has to be certain that her cock is going to be faithful and feed her on the nest as she incubates you see. :notworthy: They mainly mate as soon as they wake up....Morning Glory and all that! :D

Good luck with them, and, like others have said, soak seed, brocolli and egg food is the way forward... :thumbs:

like you i have left em to it,but more are lost if the eggs dont go under the hen on the same day due to size diff in chicks when hatched ,so dummy eggs is the best way :thumbs: imo.

I never had a problem matey, but my canarys were good feeders. raised many a fully clutch of five with no problems. :thumbs: In fact, i will go as far as to say it was rare to loose a chick... :thumbs:

I never had a problem matey, but my canarys were good feeders. raised many a fully clutch of five with no problems. :thumbs: In fact, i will go as far as to say it was rare to loose a chick... :thumbs:

same here jd,ive got 3 clutches of 4 just ready to leave the nest and all ive done is feed and water em :thumbs:

Woooooo Wooooooo

Got 4 chicks :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping:

Hen is doing a grand job, gets food, feeds them then sits on them for 5 mins, then repeats it again :D

I've been a dug up chick weed, dandelions and a sod of grass with loads of soil around to keep it fresher for longer. Container with soaked egg food, and soaked canary seed as well as the normal dry seed...although she is preferring the dry seed?

Cannot believe how teeny they are, are they born bald? These have bits of fuzz here and there.

Will the cock help feed them, up to now none are?

Should i give them boiled eggs, and what about mashed cat food....anything else??

No to the cat food but everything else sounds good and they all hatch like that and have you ever seen such a delicate life form in your life? :blink: .It's amazing they survive at all or even manage to lift their heads for feed,with the egg food and soak seed just don't put out to much as they can and do both go stale or sour.You could try some live foods for them as well,get a brolly and hold it upside down under a bush,shake said bush and put the bugs and caterpillers in a dish in the aviery or put some old fruit in a bucket with a mesh top on(just to stop the birds from getting to the rotting fruit)and your'll soon get lots of fruit flys about it,the birds do like these as well but best in outside flights as the fruit can smell.

same here jd,ive got 3 clutches of 4 just ready to leave the nest and all ive done is feed and water em :thumbs:

ok lads lets just agree to disagree,didnt see that one coming a tag team :toast::boogie::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:toast:

ok lads lets just agree to disagree,didnt see that one coming a tag team :toast::boogie::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:toast: Just said it as I saw it Francolin.... :notworthy: I never said i was right! :tongue2:

:toast:

:toast: Just said it as I saw it Francolin.... :notworthy: I never said i was right! :tongue2:

no prob i am glad to see theres plenty folk still into the cage birds,them pics you put up are belters, :thumbs: