Woooo woooo, got my first 2 canary eggs :boogie::yahoo:

Questions....

Ive got 4 hens, 4 nesting pans, the two eggs are in the same pan, and i have seen the same hen in there daily, although she does not stay in.

Will she lay a certain amount before deciding to sit tight?

Will other hens lay in the same nest.

Will she try to sit on too many eggs and if so how many should i leave her with.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Woooo woooo, got my first 2 canary eggs :boogie::yahoo:

Questions....

Ive got 4 hens, 4 nesting pans, the two eggs are in the same pan, and i have seen the same hen in there daily, although she does not stay in.

Will she lay a certain amount before deciding to sit tight?

Will other hens lay in the same nest.

Will she try to sit on too many eggs and if so how many should i leave her with.

Moll, you should substitute the eggs with dummy eggs until she has finished laying her clutch, put the eggs in the fridge until you are sure she has stopped laying. Then replace the dummy eggs with the real eggs, they should then hatch out at the same time, otherwise there will be a big difference in the size of the chicks when they hatch out and the younger ones are less likely to survive and thrive.

The fridge bit isn't really needed as long as it's cool the eggs will be fine,as for how many? my canaries all lay a different number of eggs from 2 to 5 before they sit tight.Your other questions well,very rarely will they try to nest share and no they don't lay to many eggs for themselves to sit on.Good luck with the hatching off.

I'm not deliberately breeding them, they are not in cages or anything, all cocks and hens together in an aviary. I am just trying to give them the best chance i can if they choose to breed. I wont matter if they do or not.

I don't have any dummy eggs so the chicks will have to take their chances on hatching.

Will the hens eggs be all fertilised by the same cock bird or will she mate with various ones?

I'm not deliberately breeding them, they are not in cages or anything, all cocks and hens together in an aviary. I am just trying to give them the best chance i can if they choose to breed. I wont matter if they do or not.

I don't have any dummy eggs so the chicks will have to take their chances on hatching.

Will the hens eggs be all fertilised by the same cock bird or will she mate with various ones?

The hen has chosen her mate and will only mate with him.Some hens will sit tight after first egg some will sit after 3rd egg(normaly 4 or 5 eggs).Just leave them to it Moll.In 14 days egg food,soaked seed and greens will give the chicks a better chance of survival. :thumbs: P1

Thanks Para, will it be obvious which male it was ie - will he feed her or anything?

Ordered egg food in ready. they always have greens, will give the soaked seed a try.

How long is the incubation for canary eggs?

Thanks Para, will it be obvious which male it was ie - will he feed her or anything?

Ordered egg food in ready. they always have greens, will give the soaked seed a try.

How long is the incubation for canary eggs?

Just the one cock bird will feed the hen on and off the nest.Start with egg food to get the birds used to it.They normally take 14 days. Good luck. P1

Well done Moll. Now, i am certainly not an expert in such matters but i always left the eggs in as the hen bird won't start incubating them properly until they are practically all laid. Typically 4-5 eggs. The cock bird will have already been feeding her as this is part of the 'courtship' in the run up to mating itself. The hen has to be certain that her cock is going to be faithful and feed her on the nest as she incubates you see. :notworthy: They mainly mate as soon as they wake up....Morning Glory and all that! :D

Good luck with them, and, like others have said, soak seed, brocolli and egg food is the way forward... :thumbs:

Thank you all for the advice :thumbs:

Nothing yet k94v, last time i was able to check she had 4 eggs. And has only been sitting properly for about a week.

One of the other hens has started to line another nest with feathers so i presume she is about to start soon also :D

Thank you all for the advice :thumbs:

Nothing yet k94v, last time i was able to check she had 4 eggs. And has only been sitting properly for about a week.

One of the other hens has started to line another nest with feathers so i presume she is about to start soon also :D

hows the canary eggs doing , any more gone down

She is still sitting tight Clipper. Still have no idea who the daddy is, never seen a cock feeding the hen yet. They should be due soon :boogie:

Two of the other hens have started to line the nests and spend a great deal of time sitting in them, although no eggs as yet. The weather has cooled right down recently so i don't know if they can keep the eggs back for a while?

My original hen, the one which went bald from all the male attention, thus my reason for getting more hens is not interested in nesting at all...typical!

Cultivating dandelions and chick weed and got the egg food in readiness for the chicks :D