why do keepers hate lurchers so much

Simples - lurchers are seen in the keepers eyes as poaching dogs (tbh thats what they are), and a keeper can clear out an area of rabbits more easily with a 22. rimfire, than letting some stranger get the odd couple with a dog. if a keeper has half a chance to shoot a lurcher we will. sorry but i speak the truth. you may get the odd keeper with a lurcher, but he is no true keeper.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

couldnt agree anymore than that.. there are good AND bad in all forms of sport. I live in the valleys of lambourn, lambourn and the fenns are THE place to test any long dog to a WINTER Hare. The day

We do estates, most keepers don't mind them, and many have them, it's not the dog they have a problem with, it's usually the guy attached to it. Mind you, saying that, there are just some nasty b****

Was keeping out of this but can no longer!   WILL YOU PLEASE SHUT THE f**k UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   its obvious you know not alot and have got all your info from a book or hear say. if every

Simples - lurchers are seen in the keepers eyes as poaching dogs (tbh thats what they are), and a keeper can clear out an area of rabbits more easily with a 22. rimfire, than letting some stranger get the odd couple with a dog. if a keeper has half a chance to shoot a lurcher we will. sorry but i speak the truth. you may get the odd keeper with a lurcher, but he is no true keeper.

How long you been a keeper fella?

I think you will find that its not the dog that the keeper will not like its the person with the dog. We all know there are a few (a lot actually) violent lurcher men out there and that the keeper does not want to take any chances.

Not a keeper but IMO a keeper with a .22 can (in the right circumstances) take out 5 rabbits in less than 20secs but what dog could catch that many rabbits in that time let alone still be cheaper to feed (ie. feeding/keeping a dog vs a .22)

There are many lurcher men who go out, do their bit and go home without a trace but going by alot of people on here, theyre are those who go out damage fencing, leave gates open and purposely try to hurt the keepers lively hood or the keeper themselves (if caught).

If a keepers mentor has had bad experiences with lurcher men/poachers then its natural that this will be passed onto the younger generation of keeper.

Keepers dont entertain lurchers based on the fact that alot (or their mentors) have meet and had more bad experiences with them than good

Speak for youself pal. I agree with a .22 being a better tool for flattening the rabbit population but the bit about not being a true keeper cos you have a lurcher... bollox!!

Maybe down south but up on the grouse, more keepers than not have lurchers. I suspect your either a young lad just out of college or a part timer

;)

• Like 2

Its the same reason why a lot of farmers don't like lurchers, one bad incident can undo years of good work.

http://www.northumbria.police.uk/your_neighbourhood/newcastle/news/details.asp?id=40665

I know the landowner's in question. For a good while now they have been aware of lampers on their land. They had not given permission, but there was never any problems so they did not mind too much. Then the incident in the link occurred. At the fat stock sale in March fat lambs were reaching £100+. That is the best part of a grand gone down the drain in a night, plus the damage to the rest of the flock if they have been worried by the dog(s).

Oh dear, a dog killer!!

You would have to shoot me also if it were my dog you shot!!

I dont think you represent many keepers as your trying to make out.

.atb. .ste.

I would hazard a guess that you have never shot a lurcher and never will. Another big gob keeper! To shoot another mans dog just because he chasing a few rabbits or hares etc is a dangerous thing to do. You wont shoot very many before you start wishing you hadnt, believe me...

• Like 2

Pish pish and more pish!!! Obviously you are looking for an argument and you'll get 1 on here with that utter shite you've just spouted!!

Pish pish and more pish!!! Obviously you are looking for an argument and you'll get 1 on here with that utter shite you've just spouted!!

Ahh mate he has just left college after doing 2 years tis only a month ago he was asking for a underkeepers job on here you know how it is they know it all :icon_eek:

TOOL!

TOOL!

you wont last long as a keeper with that attitude :fool::fool:

Edited by northantscourser

Ahh mate he has just left college after doing 2 years tis only a month ago he was asking for a underkeepers job on here you know how it is they know it all :icon_eek:

Aye I was just going to say I bet hes just a fresh'un out of college.

2 years learning off a failed keeper and he knows it all.

No wonder he hasnt got a job with an attitude like that.

What a poor representation of a decent honest profession.

:no:

FTB

That has to be right up there with the biggest pile of wank, and the most stupid thing i've read on here. You also sound like either a no idea teenager or a total c**t. If you have just started keepering, i'd lose that attitude, because use it on the wrong folk, and you will lose a lot more.

Sounds like you have learned off the keepers who were in my area 30 years ago and who's lives were made a misery with that type of attitude.Take it from an old poacher change that type of thinking and your job and life will be a lot easier.