why do keepers hate lurchers so much

There is a very good reason good young keepers are in short demand. 90% dont have the minerals to stick it in the long run.

All the best in your future career Gunterwaren and please take on board what we have said to you.

And guys I think that will be enough for now, bearing in mind he is only 17. We all say things we dont mean.

FTB

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

couldnt agree anymore than that.. there are good AND bad in all forms of sport. I live in the valleys of lambourn, lambourn and the fenns are THE place to test any long dog to a WINTER Hare. The day

We do estates, most keepers don't mind them, and many have them, it's not the dog they have a problem with, it's usually the guy attached to it. Mind you, saying that, there are just some nasty b****

Was keeping out of this but can no longer!   WILL YOU PLEASE SHUT THE f**k UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   its obvious you know not alot and have got all your info from a book or hear say. if every

Every keeper needs a terrier

Was keeping out of this but can no longer!

WILL YOU PLEASE SHUT THE f**k UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its obvious you know not alot and have got all your info from a book or hear say.

if every keeper had a bloody terrier, why does my f*****g phone stop for call outs, most keepers have better things to do than waste a day digging a bloody hole to a terrier!

Im sure your under the illusion, a keeper carries a gun all day shooting vermin etc,,, affraid your in for a shock when/if you get into this profession young man...

Too many young lads already on here that think they know everything when in reality, every f*****g day is a learning curve.

A little advice, no-one is born with the knowledge, its gained by being quiet and listening so for your own benefit, do it but ask questions!

"Quiet now young man and take note!"...

Good post mate.........when i read the words "every keeper needs a terrier" i thought f*****g hell he's put his foot in it again. Never had 1, never will.............i leave that to people who know the game......like Topnotch..... :whistling:

I get alot of college students on the game farm and ive never heard 1 leave saying "Thanks that was great, definately want too work on a game farm now"........ :no: Thats because they are here to graft, clean up shit, wash equipment, fix nets and general DIY around the farm repairing pens and sheds. This fantasy that a keeper sits on a sunny hill all day stalking is far from the truth......maybe that should be the first lesson at these college courses...... :hmm:

Too right mate perhaps the first lessons should be a week biting or maybe egg collecting then just to finish 3 months pressure washing agree about the terriers as well I don't have one but I have lads as know the their game to call on :thumbs:

Thought you were about to say you were lying back on the hill stalking there......... :laugh:

Now biting yes that would sort them.......the worst job in the world of pheasants by far. Egg collecting too, you would think that would appeal to some folk and it does for about a week but after 7 or 8 weeks its just a slog..... :thumbdown:

Granted alot of these young lads are not looking for a job on a rearing field but they have to learn this stuff just incase they do land a job on an estate that rear there own birds. Had a few now doing a bit in the field and 1 maybe 2 i would give a job too.......the rest i'm sure i'll meet again someday when they ask me "You want fries with that?"...... :thumbs:

Wish I was out mate just finished 2 weeks leave getting ready to go back to work this week and my misses announces here waters have broke and babys here 7 weeks early so she is in hospital at moment waiting a c section and I am stuck with 3 kids and trying to get cover crops sorted this week :blink:

I wish to be honest they went back to apprenticeships or how I was trained IE start as a lad work up to beatkeepers under keeper then on to beatkeeper and up to head/single handed keeper I wasn't allowed to speak to the boss until I made beatkeeper or carry a gun to work, was expected to wear a shirt and tie to work everyday and be clean shaven first and last jobs of the day where 3 kennel blocks to clean and feed all the dogs college can teach many things but not work ethic and respect.

holy shit mate, timing not worked out well for you.. Hope all goes well for ye all!

It was my grandad that taught me what I know mate, here what your saying about the tie... Haha. I had to go beating with them on when I was about 10..... Looked like right div so I thought then but it was all about respect for the birds and I won't go to a shoot without them on now.

To be honest lab the timing isn't too bad I don't have to think about the heap of poults arriving in the second week of July and sorting the crops only really means showing the contractors round and running seed out to them,The pens are already up together so its just check my trap lines and teach the 3 year old boy how to set wires, mk4's and larsens :thumbs:

To be honest lab the timing isn't too bad I don't have to think about the heap of poults arriving in the second week of July and sorting the crops only really means showing the contractors round and running seed out to them,The pens are already up together so its just check my trap lines and teach the 3 year old boy how to set wires, mk4's and larsens :thumbs:

mk4s..... :icon_eek: "Get that safety 'on' boy!!!.............."..... :D

mk4s..... :icon_eek: "Get that safety 'on' boy!!!.............."..... :D

Lol yeah he is a bit small for setting them yet but he is handy for sending halfway up the hills to check if they have sprung :thumbs:

round our way they are used mainly to catch deer, the head is then taken , the carcass left behind. we know who does this and its for big money as well.. wouldn't let lurchers any where near the shoot.

Big money :icon_eek: You might want to tell them they are taking the wrong bit :thumbs:

round our way they are used mainly to catch deer, the head is then taken , the carcass left behind. we know who does this and its for big money as well.. wouldn't let lurchers any where near the shoot.

Big money :icon_eek: You might want to tell them they are taking the wrong bit :thumbs:

:haha::haha: not much meat on its head :11:

:icon_redface:

:icon_redface:

hatracks :tongue2: there money in them :whistling: Deer are for Stalking not dogs :thumbs:

Edited by northantscourser

Simples - lurchers are seen in the keepers eyes as poaching dogs (tbh thats what they are), and a keeper can clear out an area of rabbits more easily with a 22. rimfire, than letting some stranger get the odd couple with a dog. if a keeper has half a chance to shoot a lurcher we will. sorry but i speak the truth. you may get the odd keeper with a lurcher, but he is no true keeper.

Have you any idea how stupid your comment re keepers and lurcher ownership not equating to being a true keeper is? Yeah you probably have got some idea if you read the other comments on this site. What a pile of shit!!! I know a couple of decent hard working keepers who own lurchers - what a really silly thing to say?

Simples - lurchers are seen in the keepers eyes as poaching dogs (tbh thats what they are), and a keeper can clear out an area of rabbits more easily with a 22. rimfire, than letting some stranger get the odd couple with a dog. if a keeper has half a chance to shoot a lurcher we will. sorry but i speak the truth. you may get the odd keeper with a lurcher, but he is no true keeper.

Have you any idea how stupid your comment re keepers and lurcher ownership not equating to being a true keeper is? Yeah you probably have got some idea if you read the other comments on this site. What a pile of shit!!! I know a couple of decent hard working keepers who own lurchers - what a really silly thing to say?

Um. . . . you kind of missed the boat on that one mate :whistling:

Um. . . . you kind of missed the boat on that one mate :whistling:

Ha Ha Ha you're right there mate - end of the week, tired and what not. Shoulda read the whole thing eh? :thumbs:

aye no a good few keepers who run lurchers and would father run a lucher then use a 22 rimfire / 12 bore for the fox,s atb stag1

why do somekeepers think they are above the law and take matters into their own hands by beating poachers up kicking their dogs and taking what they want off you i understand its their jobs to look after land and game on it but some are pure motherless twats and love nowt better than to brag of their antics i would do anything to get permmision on local estates but its finding a foreskin in jewsish temple id do what ever asked and have but mention lurchers and its see ya pall fck the ban :thumbs: