Are you lambing outdoors? Uphere folks are just aboot finished there indoor one i should only have another week or so on night shift well i am hoping that anyways. My other half is on his second shed lambing only a hill lambing left to do and its back to having a life again.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes I do, that problem is common when you dont do it. As for the rotten ones you do get them from time to time and obviously more so in a larger flock. % of the un-born lambs growth happens in the l

Yes I do. However I am not prepared to watch the livestock that I have poured my life and soul into being killed by some pesky badgers.   All of the farmers around my area are the same and most do j

Fooking lambing..im sick to death of it.. :laugh: ..the skin on my hands is split to bits from iodine and after birth and i had to pull two rotton ones out of a hog the other night and could i hell get rid of the smell of my hand's..and i was helping the farmer pull a rotton one last week which the two front leg's came of when pulled..we ended up pulling it inch by inch and attatching string to each bit of the body that was pulled..when got to the rib cage it popped as it was gassed up and it sprayed rotton blood in my face and up my arm.. :sick: ..

He has just shy of 500 ewes in lamb and should be through them all by the end of the week..obviously they will be a few late ones to lamb but the weather should be warm enough for them to lamb out side by then..

Just one question for you mate.. do you dose the lambs with scour halt when you iodine them.. i only ask because the only two that got missed with the stuff here have gone down in a bad way with some kind of lamness and will probably have to be culled.

Yes I do, that problem is common when you dont do it.

As for the rotten ones you do get them from time to time and obviously more so in a larger flock.

80% of the un-born lambs growth happens in the last four weeks of the ewes pregnancy and this is also the most common time for metabolic diseases to occur.

The rotten lamb foetuses you have had are probably down to abortion. Most flocks suffer abortion caused by infection, rough handling, or barging at the feed trough. A normal incidence in usually 1-2%.

Enzootic abortion and toxoplasmosis account for 80% of abortions and both can be controlled by management and vaccines.

It is not a very nice job to be dealing with physically as well as emotionally.

I hope the above information is useful to you!

• Like 1

Are you lambing outdoors? Uphere folks are just aboot finished there indoor one i should only have another week or so on night shift well i am hoping that anyways. My other half is on his second shed lambing only a hill lambing left to do and its back to having a life again.

Some of our ewes have lambed unexpectedly early this year and so some have lambed outside, this is a bit of a nightmare.

We have brought them all in today and so they rest can lamb in the safty of being in a shed in the main farmyard close to the house so that I can keep an eye on them.

Heres my latest, born today at 3pm a nice little ewe lamb this is the forth so far, 2 ewe lambs and twin ram lambs, i have 3 more to lamb 2 i think with singles and 1 with twins.

About 15mins old.

lamb063.jpg

lamb062.jpg

lamb061.jpg

Also had a couple of nanny kids.

lamb034.jpg

lamb038.jpg

And a few thousand baby bees lol.

bees030.jpg

bees029.jpg

Its certainly that reproductive time of year.

I should of mentioned this on my last post.. :blink: .. your stock look's in very good condition and equally good living condition's.. :thumbs: . and them sheep with horn's look good for catching when the need arrises..the farm i lamb on has various cross sheep Texils/suffolks/mules and none of them have horns which i sometimes wish they did when have wrestling them and dosing them for worm's..your new bee picture really interest's me a i have been thinking about doing that for year's but for some reason or other i have never got around too it..i must read up a little more on the bee's.

Cheer's and good luck with your lambing season. ;) .

I am glad to here that it was helpful. PM me if you have any other questions and i will always be glad to help.

Those are lovely pictures.

What breeds of Goat and Sheep do you have?

Certainly with my Shetlands, although some do not have horns, they are a great help when you need to catch them up!!

I am glad to here that it was helpful. PM me if you have any other questions and i will always be glad to help.

Certainly with my Shetlands, although some do not have horns, they are a great help when you need to catch them up!!

They shetlands are so small that i can lift them with one hand when i am shearing :laugh:

Yes defiantly! I crossed some of mine with Hampshire down this year to see if they had better carcass

Fooking lambing..im sick to death of it.. :laugh: ..the skin on my hands is split to bits from iodine and after birth and i had to pull two rotton ones out of a hog the other night and could i hell get rid of the smell of my hand's..and i was helping the farmer pull a rotton one last week which the two front leg's came of when pulled..we ended up pulling it inch by inch and attatching string to each bit of the body that was pulled..when got to the rib cage it popped as it was gassed up and it sprayed rotton blood in my face and up my arm.. :sick: ..

He has just shy of 500 ewes in lamb and should be through them all by the end of the week..obviously they will be a few late ones to lamb but the weather should be warm enough for them to lamb out side by then..

Just one question for you mate.. do you dose the lambs with scour halt when you iodine them.. i only ask because the only two that got missed with the stuff here have gone down in a bad way with some kind of lamness and will probably have to be culled.

Yes I do, that problem is common when you dont do it.

As for the rotten ones you do get them from time to time and obviously more so in a larger flock.

80% of the un-born lambs growth happens in the last four weeks of the ewes pregnancy and this is also the most common time for metabolic diseases to occur.

The rotten lamb foetuses you have had are probably down to abortion. Most flocks suffer abortion caused by infection, rough handling, or barging at the feed trough. A normal incidence in usually 1-2%.

Enzootic abortion and toxoplasmosis account for 80% of abortions and both can be controlled by management and vaccines.

It is not a very nice job to be dealing with physically as well as emotionally.

I hope the above information is useful to you!

I worked in animal research for 10 years and did about 70 lambings. We did research toxoplasmosis and chlamydia. The number of lambs lost was horrendous.

I cam imagine. I have never heard of chlamydia in sheep before tho. Is it just like it is in humans?

Lost more ewes and lambs this year than ever before. The severe winter meant having to feed, which has led to fat ewe's and big lambs, a bad combination.

The knacker man told us all the farms are in the same way local, ewes dropping like flies. Heart breaking for the ewes with rotten lambs. They are in labour a very long time and just cannot pass them.

And to make matters worse there are a load of Hogs in lamb this year, completely wild, forget they have even given birth :doh:

Look forward to this time of year though, very little sleep for weeks but worth it when the lambs arrived fit and well :D

Lambing111.jpg

lambing112.jpg

The sheep are soay and the goats are pygmy :thumbs:

The horns defo help when catching them up as soay are the greyhounds of the sheep world lol.

how many lambs been lost to foxes and badgers so far?

None so far, thank god!

I did a lot of shooting before we started to lamb.

Including the badgers, I would much rather have safe lambs and no badgers than dead lambs and live badgers, so i shot as many as i could find