Hi All,

I am a farmer and the proud owner of 58 in lamb Shetland ewes. To day I went to feed my sheep and found that I had two lambs off of one ewe and one more off another with its sibling on the way!

The first Lambs are boys and one is white with black patches on his eyes and the other is all white.

The second arrivals of the day are black with white patches on there heads.

There navels have been dipped in iodine and they are up and running about like mad!

More updates will follow as the lambing proceeds and pictures will be available when I bring them in, in the next few days.

Any questions about lambing please feel free to PM me. or to email me at sambutler02@live.co.uk

Thanks

Edited by oldmantanner

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes I do, that problem is common when you dont do it. As for the rotten ones you do get them from time to time and obviously more so in a larger flock. % of the un-born lambs growth happens in the l

Yes I do. However I am not prepared to watch the livestock that I have poured my life and soul into being killed by some pesky badgers.   All of the farmers around my area are the same and most do j

Why you go for Shetlands mate ?.Are they a rare breed ?.

Shetlands are not a rare breed, no. BUT they have one of the best fleeces you can get.

Although they are not the biggest lambs you can get, they certainly are one of they tastiest

PLUS in my experience they are also one of they easiest sheep to maintain.

OK

So Lambing update number two.

Last night was a good one with two singles being born, with no hassle what so ever!

This morning I went to check the flock at 6 am and found three more lambs!!

Pictures are on there way of yesterdays lambs and I will take some of last nights and this mornings as well today and hopefully will have them on here very soon!!

i think you need to be checking market prices , lamb has gone silly this year thank f**k

Yes I have, however this lamb is not very large mate. So the price reflects the size. They range from 14 kilos to 19 kilos. That is what the latest batch were at.

As I said they are not a very large breed and as such they are not commercial, but they are a supreme quality of meat

Fooking lambing..im sick to death of it.. :laugh: ..the skin on my hands is split to bits from iodine and after birth and i had to pull two rotton ones out of a hog the other night and could i hell get rid of the smell of my hand's..and i was helping the farmer pull a rotton one last week which the two front leg's came of when pulled..we ended up pulling it inch by inch and attatching string to each bit of the body that was pulled..when got to the rib cage it popped as it was gassed up and it sprayed rotton blood in my face and up my arm.. :sick: ..

He has just shy of 500 ewes in lamb and should be through them all by the end of the week..obviously they will be a few late ones to lamb but the weather should be warm enough for them to lamb out side by then..

Just one question for you mate.. do you dose the lambs with scour halt when you iodine them.. i only ask because the only two that got missed with the stuff here have gone down in a bad way with some kind of lamness and will probably have to be culled.