walking harness

un sure but is it true that should not let the sniff cat and dog stools and pee when out walking them ?????

Canine Distemper Virus (CDV) is a risk to ferrets, from contact with bodily fluids (snot and eye discharge) & urine & faeces of infected animals. Domestic cats seem to be immune but unvaccinated dogs can transmit the disease, as can foxes. CDV will generally be fatal to ferrets, slight chance of survival if treatment given early enough, but highly unlikely.

You can vaccinate your ferrets against CDV, lasts for about a year, maybe 2 years. No real answer as the vaccine isn't designed for ferrets. Only drawback is the vaccine can also be fatal for ferrets due to an anaphylactic shock reaction, but this is very, very unlikey, just a known risk.

The chances of your ferret contracting the virus are low, but it is highly contagious, there was an outbreak of the virus in ferrets last year. I know of people who lost over 80 of their ferrets to CDV.

I've vaccinated mine to be on the safe side.

Do you work your ferrets ?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fucks sake, lighten up. I think the man is just trying to say that, for all the ferret workers on here, we probably get 1 post about a day out for every 100 posts we get trying to 'educate' us on how

Malt mate sometimes you don't need the question answered to know the answer ]

does it really matter wether this person does or doesn't?

un sure but is it true that should not let the sniff cat and dog stools and pee when out walking them ?????

Canine Distemper Virus (CDV) is a risk to ferrets, from contact with bodily fluids (snot and eye discharge) & urine & faeces of infected animals. Domestic cats seem to be immune but unvaccinated dogs can transmit the disease, as can foxes. CDV will generally be fatal to ferrets, slight chance of survival if treatment given early enough, but highly unlikely.

You can vaccinate your ferrets against CDV, lasts for about a year, maybe 2 years. No real answer as the vaccine isn't designed for ferrets. Only drawback is the vaccine can also be fatal for ferrets due to an anaphylactic shock reaction, but this is very, very unlikey, just a known risk.

The chances of your ferret contracting the virus are low, but it is highly contagious, there was an outbreak of the virus in ferrets last year. I know of people who lost over 80 of their ferrets to CDV.

Can i guess ? :whistling:

i lost a ferret once to distemper ,caught it from the vets . i had taken him for the snip,so i suppose you have to be on your guard in all public places with em,sorry for slightly going off the subject

Why do you ask?

Edited by ferret100

['ferret100' timestamp=1302635570' post='2012790]

['KittleRox' timestamp=1302627445' post='2012583]

['ferret100' timestamp=1302623191' post='2012505]

='Elmer Fudd 2011' timestamp='1302352674' post='2008798']

Why do you ask?

Wasn't there a big scare last year that some shows would have to be cancelled due to this ???.

Why do you ask?

Shall we take that as a 'no' then? :whistling:

Why do you ask?

You can take it whatever way you like :thumbs:

Why do you ask?

It still doesn't answer the question though... :no:

Why do you ask?

• Like 1

I was slightly curious but to be honest I don,t really care, I,d be willing to bet you don,t work them though ,too feart incase they got a wee bit dirty :cry:

Well, for the part of you that cared enough to ask in the first place.....yes, I do work my ferrets. As for your betting odds, hope you're not a bookie. :feck:

Why do you ask?

Thanks for that JPTfellterrier, nice to see that not everyone on here is narrow-minded.

All the best.

Edited by ferret100