anyone else tried this out of the poachers cookbook by prue coats ? i've been making this for years now, superb ! if you've not got the book (which is a must for all hunters and those who like cooking game) here's the recipe give it a go you will not be disapointed, a.t.b sfa - 4lbs blackberries, 8ozs cane sugar and one ltr bottle of whiskey. place fruit, sugar and whiskey in a large screw top bottle, (i use an empty 3ltr plastic spring water bottle). shake every 4 or 5 days untill sugar has dissolved and then place in a dark cupboard for three months. then using muslin cloth strain and using a funnel i then put it into qtr bottles which i save from used vodka or whiskey bottles from family and friends.(don't forget to steralise) then keep its whereabouts secret for as long as a year, if possible ! if blackberries are abundant in september i'll make double or even tripple the amount, then lable up a few bottles and give to family, friends and farmers where i've got permision ! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1

anyone else tried this out of the poachers cookbook by prue coats ? i've been making this for years now, superb ! if you've not got the book (which is a must for all hunters and those who like cooking game) here's the recipe give it a go you will not be disapointed, a.t.b sfa - 4lbs blackberries, 8ozs cane sugar and one ltr bottle of whiskey. place fruit, sugar and whiskey in a large screw top bottle, (i use an empty 3ltr plastic spring water bottle). shake every 4 or 5 days untill sugar has dissolved and then place in a dark cupboard for three months. then using muslin cloth strain and using a funnel i then put it into qtr bottles which i save from used vodka or whiskey bottles from family and friends.(don't forget to steralise) then keep its whereabouts secret for as long as a year, if possible ! if blackberries are abundant in september i'll make double or even tripple the amount, then lable up a few bottles and give to family, friends and farmers where i've got permision ! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I am a mad homebrewer and forager and shall have to have a look at that book and have ago at that balckberry whisky later in the year. :thumbs:

Here's a licquer you can try soon for Elderflower vodka.

Similar recipe: Flowers up to a third of the bottle/jar, sugar to halfway, vodka to the top. shake every day.

Have ago at limoncello too if you like your licquers :cheers:

I am a mad homebrewer and forager and shall have to have a look at that book and have ago at that balckberry whisky later in the year. :thumbs:

Here's a licquer you can try soon for Elderflower vodka.

Similar recipe: Flowers up to a third of the bottle/jar, sugar to halfway, vodka to the top. shake every day.

Have ago at limoncello too if you like your licquers :cheers:

give it a go mate ! gives a lovely warm glow on a freezing days ferreting ! :thumbs:

I am going to be trying both of these, CHRIST i don't think I will have any liver left once since I am making so much alcohol haha.

Joe

Seriously, fruit licquers are a piece of cake to make. You can use virtually any fruit to do it.

1. Fruit (or fruitflowers) up to a third high in the bottle/dj/container.

2. Sugar to halfway (it'll drop through the fruit later on)

3. Add some spices if need be (never more than 1tsp of each spice per bottle)

4. Add the spirit of your choice to fill the container/bottle. Lid it.

5. Turn every day for 2-3m.

6. Strain fruit and keep the juice. (You can use the fruit then for cakes or sauces)

We did 5 licquers last year (as well as ten types of wine): cherry brandy, elderflower vodka, sloe gin (2 cloves, 1 tsp cinammon per bottle), damson gin/vodka (2 cloves, 1 tsp cinammon per bottle), lemon gin (limoncello).

Edited by Tomm Parr

cant wait to try these brews lads can

anybody give me a way for the sloe gin

look a few posts up at the one i posted for elderflower vodka a few weeks ago.

Just use that recipe and change the elderflowers for sloes and vodka for gin.

mind you, you shan't find any sloes until at at least October. Pick them in November and freeze then defrost them before using them :thumbs:

Edited by Tomm Parr
  • 2 months later...

I am going to be trying both of these, CHRIST i don't think I will have any liver left once since I am making so much alcohol haha.

Joe

Seriously, fruit licquers are a piece of cake to make. You can use virtually any fruit to do it.

1. Fruit (or fruitflowers) up to a third high in the bottle/dj/container.

2. Sugar to halfway (it'll drop through the fruit later on)

3. Add some spices if need be (never more than 1tsp of each spice per bottle)

4. Add the spirit of your choice to fill the container/bottle. Lid it.

5. Turn every day for 2-3m.

6. Strain fruit and keep the juice. (You can use the fruit then for cakes or sauces)

We did 5 licquers last year (as well as ten types of wine): cherry brandy, elderflower vodka, sloe gin (2 cloves, 1 tsp cinammon per bottle), damson gin/vodka (2 cloves, 1 tsp cinammon per bottle), lemon gin (limoncello).

I'm brewing some gooseberry vodka...... not sure how its gonna turn out though