16 replies to this topic

#1 superfurryanimal

superfurryanimal

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:07 pm

anyone else tried this out of the poachers cookbook by prue coats ? i've been making this for years now, superb ! if you've not got the book (which is a must for all hunters and those who like cooking game) here's the recipe give it a go you will not be disapointed, a.t.b sfa - 4lbs blackberries, 8ozs cane sugar and one ltr bottle of whiskey. place fruit, sugar and whiskey in a large screw top bottle, (i use an empty 3ltr plastic spring water bottle). shake every 4 or 5 days untill sugar has dissolved and then place in a dark cupboard for three months. then using muslin cloth strain and using a funnel i then put it into qtr bottles which i save from used vodka or whiskey bottles from family and friends.(don't forget to steralise) then keep its whereabouts secret for as long as a year, if possible ! if blackberries are abundant in september i'll make double or even tripple the amount, then lable up a few bottles and give to family, friends and farmers where i've got permision ! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
  • bullcross13 likes this

#2 Tomm Parr

Tomm Parr

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:17 pm

anyone else tried this out of the poachers cookbook by prue coats ? i've been making this for years now, superb ! if you've not got the book (which is a must for all hunters and those who like cooking game) here's the recipe give it a go you will not be disapointed, a.t.b sfa - 4lbs blackberries, 8ozs cane sugar and one ltr bottle of whiskey. place fruit, sugar and whiskey in a large screw top bottle, (i use an empty 3ltr plastic spring water bottle). shake every 4 or 5 days untill sugar has dissolved and then place in a dark cupboard for three months. then using muslin cloth strain and using a funnel i then put it into qtr bottles which i save from used vodka or whiskey bottles from family and friends.(don't forget to steralise) then keep its whereabouts secret for as long as a year, if possible ! if blackberries are abundant in september i'll make double or even tripple the amount, then lable up a few bottles and give to family, friends and farmers where i've got permision ! http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub... http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub... http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub...

I am a mad homebrewer and forager and shall have to have a look at that book and have ago at that balckberry whisky later in the year. :thumbs:

Here's a licquer you can try soon for Elderflower vodka.
Similar recipe: Flowers up to a third of the bottle/jar, sugar to halfway, vodka to the top. shake every day.

Have ago at limoncello too if you like your licquers :cheers:

#3 superfurryanimal

superfurryanimal

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:40 pm

anyone else tried this out of the poachers cookbook by prue coats ? i've been making this for years now, superb ! if you've not got the book (which is a must for all hunters and those who like cooking game) here's the recipe give it a go you will not be disapointed, a.t.b sfa - 4lbs blackberries, 8ozs cane sugar and one ltr bottle of whiskey. place fruit, sugar and whiskey in a large screw top bottle, (i use an empty 3ltr plastic spring water bottle). shake every 4 or 5 days untill sugar has dissolved and then place in a dark cupboard for three months. then using muslin cloth strain and using a funnel i then put it into qtr bottles which i save from used vodka or whiskey bottles from family and friends.(don't forget to steralise) then keep its whereabouts secret for as long as a year, if possible ! if blackberries are abundant in september i'll make double or even tripple the amount, then lable up a few bottles and give to family, friends and farmers where i've got permision ! http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub... http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub... http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub...

I am a mad homebrewer and forager and shall have to have a look at that book and have ago at that balckberry whisky later in the year. http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub...

Here's a licquer you can try soon for Elderflower vodka.
Similar recipe: Flowers up to a third of the bottle/jar, sugar to halfway, vodka to the top. shake every day.

Have ago at limoncello too if you like your licquers http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub...
give it a go mate ! gives a lovely warm glow on a freezing days ferreting ! :thumbs:

#4 JoeD

JoeD

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:56 pm

I am going to be trying both of these, CHRIST i don't think I will have any liver left once since I am making so much alcohol haha.

Joe

#5 Tomm Parr

Tomm Parr

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:41 pm

I am going to be trying both of these, CHRIST i don't think I will have any liver left once since I am making so much alcohol haha.

Joe

Seriously, fruit licquers are a piece of cake to make. You can use virtually any fruit to do it.

1. Fruit (or fruitflowers) up to a third high in the bottle/dj/container.
2. Sugar to halfway (it'll drop through the fruit later on)
3. Add some spices if need be (never more than 1tsp of each spice per bottle)
4. Add the spirit of your choice to fill the container/bottle. Lid it.
5. Turn every day for 2-3m.
6. Strain fruit and keep the juice. (You can use the fruit then for cakes or sauces)

We did 5 licquers last year (as well as ten types of wine): cherry brandy, elderflower vodka, sloe gin (2 cloves, 1 tsp cinammon per bottle), damson gin/vodka (2 cloves, 1 tsp cinammon per bottle), lemon gin (limoncello).

Edited by Tomm Parr, 12 April 2011 - 07:02 pm.

#6 j j m

j j m

No2 on the Thl welcoming committee.

• Donator
  • 19,422 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:57 pm

im going to give it a go

#7 richie198

richie198

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:17 pm

cant wait to try these brews lads can
anybody give me a way for the sloe gin

#8 Tomm Parr

Tomm Parr

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:13 pm

cant wait to try these brews lads can
anybody give me a way for the sloe gin

look a few posts up at the one i posted for elderflower vodka a few weeks ago.
Just use that recipe and change the elderflowers for sloes and vodka for gin.

mind you, you shan't find any sloes until at at least October. Pick them in November and freeze then defrost them before using them :thumbs:

Edited by Tomm Parr, 19 April 2011 - 09:16 pm.

#9 EskdaleHawks

EskdaleHawks

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:54 pm

I made some Raspberry whiskey a few years back using wild raspberries.

#10 spanj

spanj

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:39 pm

Joe

Seriously, fruit licquers are a piece of cake to make. You can use virtually any fruit to do it.

1. Fruit (or fruitflowers) up to a third high in the bottle/dj/container.
2. Sugar to halfway (it'll drop through the fruit later on)
3. Add some spices if need be (never more than 1tsp of each spice per bottle)
4. Add the spirit of your choice to fill the container/bottle. Lid it.
5. Turn every day for 2-3m.
6. Strain fruit and keep the juice. (You can use the fruit then for cakes or sauces)

We did 5 licquers last year (as well as ten types of wine): cherry brandy, elderflower vodka, sloe gin (2 cloves, 1 tsp cinammon per bottle), damson gin/vodka (2 cloves, 1 tsp cinammon per bottle), lemon gin (limoncello).

I'm brewing some gooseberry vodka...... not sure how its gonna turn out though

#11 CarraghsGem

CarraghsGem

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:44 pm

will redcurrants do? ive a bush full of them

#12 chris k

chris k

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 818 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:46 pm

is it just me that likes damson gin then? :whistling:

#13 Tomm Parr

Tomm Parr

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:21 pm

is it just me that likes damson gin then? http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub...

no i like it too

#14 Tomm Parr

Tomm Parr

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:22 pm

will redcurrants do? ive a bush full of them

yeah i'm sure they should be fine. crack on and get back to us in 3m when its ready!

#15 baleoutqueen

baleoutqueen

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:00 pm

my husband makes that, its yummy although for some reason last year's was ick.

Tomm Parr - your avatar scares me :icon_eek:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users