pump or dive tank ????

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Charging your air rifle   Pre-charged air rifles require a supply of clean compressed air. This can be obtained in 2 ways, from a stirrup pump or a divers scuba tank. Stirrup pumps   Are like an

hi bud,if you got arms like [arnie] or [popeye]and fit as feck' bye a pump.if your like me'10 stone wet then buy a bottle, regards chaz.

just bought a pump you lot must be unfit it was easy peasy to fill the fn12 and a 2ltr air bottle so no trips to get air for me millybot

• 1 month later...

Another thing to remember chaps, with the dry divers air that comes in cylinders, there may not be enough moisture in it to ensure that internal seals are kept flexible. So every now and then you should run a fill of pumped air through a PCP.

Not my advice, but the advice of a gunsmith many know and trust on here!

• 1 month later...

used hill pump to fill an air arms 200 for 11 years without any problems, before selling said rifle i stripped and serviced it down to the last part and after many thousands of shots fired and countless first class hunts the inside of my rifle were as new. based on that and a previous incident whereby my rifle had been damaged by moisture ingress from a dive bottle i would;nt be too quick to switch back to a bottle; It has to be said that i would,nt recommend using a pump if you have a heart condition or similar i am 50 years old and lets say a little stout but so long as care is taken with both methods of filling moisture from a stirrup pump is a myth

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just bought a second hand pump for £70 and I have never used one before but I think they are so easy I don't think il ever spend all that money on a tank too much hassle getting it filled, however I'm no expert just my opinion :-)

• 1 month later...

So if some gun shops use air compressors to fill tanks is it a big no no to just use a compressor?

Pretty sure a air compressor won't work un less it costs about £25 grand !! Defiantly won't work of small air compressor !!

i had a 12l 300 bar bottle and a 3l 300 bar bottle. both been sold now for a while and have 2 pumps! love the pumps.

very easy to use fx 3 stage, and I have a 400cc tank on my gun and shoot it at 36ft/lbs. would never go back to the bottles. air is free. keeping fit is great. pumps are less hassle and cost. it also makes me conserve pellets more when plinking.

of course if you are unwell or have health problems then a tank might be a better option.

if one day the gun smith finds my guns tank has been damaged internally by moiture then I may reconsider my opinion on pumps but until then pump are no.1 for me.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

one thing i would say is if your target shooting then a bottle is good and if your fit a pump is good.

if your hunting a pump is good as you can take it with you, and hunting is lower shot count.

becuase i shoot fac air i only really fill from 190 bar to 240 bar. even with a 12L 300 bar tank i only use the top of the tank till i need to go back to the scuba shop to top it back up. so the pump is less wasteful.

the pump is .cheap, keeps me fit and stronger arms/legs for stalking on hands and knees or taking prolonged standing shots, portable and lighter than a tank, make you conserve ammo not just waste it, keeps the timber off my waist!

only draw back is, how much moisture is in my bottle, well only the next inspection will tell?

Edited by riflehunter583
  • 3 weeks later...
  • IanB unpinned this topic