Shooting dogs worrying sheep

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My neighbours dogs have been aggressive towards my sheep on several occasions, and I have caught the neighbour encouraging the dogs onto my land - ongoing neighbourhood dispute over a right of way. I

I would have no problem with a farmer shooting my dog.If it attacked his stock.At the end off the day.Its down to me to make sure its stock broken before its on the field.

To Dogmagic once more...   Ignoring your insults ("pricks such as yourself"), you clearly stated that if someone shot your dogs you think reasonable retaliation would be to burn down their house kil

Yes I do, and for the protection on humans.... "(d) the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans" That's the wording on my cert.

That I am afraid is the standard condition relating to the uses of expanding ammo and not a condition that relates to what you are permitted to use your rifle for. You can only shoot what your rifle condition states.

Does anyone have on their ticket shooting of animals for the protection of livestock ie sheep killers

As a sheep farmer I am sorry to say that I have had to do so on a couple of occasions and although I did not have such a condition on my license I decided I should get it all legal as last time the owner kicked up .

I phoned up the police and told them what I wanted and they have added "and all other lawful quarry" to my conditions which they say will cover it.

Hope this helps.

you got me worried now , i will ring my feo in cambridgeshire this morning to find out as my lambs are in a prime dog worrying area

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I don't quite understand this laughing reply because I can't see what's funny about dogs killing indefensible lambs :thumbdown: It's not the dogs it's the tossers of owners of them.

• Like 1

ok , just spoke to the feo regarding this for shotgun holders.

there is no condition in place to have it put on your certificate but under the animal act 1971 section 9 you can legally shoot a dog that is worrying livestock

if you do shoot a dog it has to be reported to the police within 48 hours of doing so and also it is good practise to give a warning/ shout that you are going to do so unless you feel different.

you would also be covering your arse if a 'dogs will be shot' sign is put up.

• Like 1

you got me worried now , i will ring my feo in cambridgeshire this morning to find out as my lambs are in a prime dog worrying area

I don't quite understand this laughing reply because I can't see what's funny about dogs killing indefensible lambs :thumbdown: It's not the dogs it's the tossers of owners of them.

it's ok , we have a standing joke regarding my sheep . it seems someone down south has put a contract out on any of my animals lol i have heard bounty hunters from wales , liverpool ,and hampshire are involved in the contract

dog bounty £300

chicken bounty £20 per head

lambs £100 per head

lol he hates me you know :boogie::toast: (by the way im only joking)

Edited by chimp

it's ok , we have a standing joke regarding my sheep . it seems someone down south has put a contract out on any of my animals lol i have heard bounty hunters from wales , liverpool ,and hampshire are involved in the contract

dog bounty £300

chicken bounty £20 per head

lambs £100 per head

lol he hates me you know :boogie::toast: (by the way im only joking)

£300 a dog??? I'd be a millionaire :thumbs:

Calm down fella its a private joke :thumbs:

there is no condition in place to have it put on your certificate but under the animal act 1971 section 9 you can legally shoot a dog that is worrying livestock

if you do shoot a dog it has to be reported to the police within 48 hours of doing so and also it is good practise to give a warning/ shout that you are going to do so unless you feel different.

Would it be legal to put up such a sign

You can shoot dogs worrying livestock and you don't need a sign. People seem to think having signs up cover anything but they don't in most cases. If there is no legal requirement too then you don't need to. Where would you stop? Putting the signs in every field? Along every hedgerow? If you think about it, the dogs are the problem and I doubt many will read your signs and think twice about what they are doing ;) and the owners that are in a position to read the signs wont be able to stop the dog as it will be out of control :D

The main thing is that you have to be clear about what would constitute worrying livestock.

If you have a dog running around the field even with lambs in it you'd be hard pushed to prove it was worrying livestock. If the owner of the dog is about then you will be in a position where the owner will be insistent that it wasn't and you will say it was. Not an easy place to be. And one which may or may not work in your favour.

Unfortunately IMO you would need an injured or dead animal, caused by that dog, to be air tight that it was a danger to your livestock.

++EDIT++

And I think that you would have to show you had tried other things first...

Edited by The_Oakster

Would it be legal to put up such a sign

Just put up 'dogs must be kept on a lead at all times' you don't even need that but if you are worried that covers all bases.

Edited by sako