Shooting dogs worrying sheep

we live in a remote area of herts with only 6 or 7 houses everyone knows everyone.we have a saluki x bedlington 13 years and a , puppy bedlington who wandered into a neighbours farm yard chased his chickens and got shot at close range with no warning.do you think this is acceptable behaviour

Not acceptable to the dog owner, and there may be better ways of dealing with it for sure, but cetainly where I come from, the hill farmers have a hard time of it, and they will not tolerate anything that may kill any of their livestock.

The law is on their side with that one, even though it was only worrying hens.

Not all people can rationalise a situation when the going gets tough.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My neighbours dogs have been aggressive towards my sheep on several occasions, and I have caught the neighbour encouraging the dogs onto my land - ongoing neighbourhood dispute over a right of way. I

I would have no problem with a farmer shooting my dog.If it attacked his stock.At the end off the day.Its down to me to make sure its stock broken before its on the field.

To Dogmagic once more...   Ignoring your insults ("pricks such as yourself"), you clearly stated that if someone shot your dogs you think reasonable retaliation would be to burn down their house kil

I sympathise with your loss, but drinking home brew or alcohol of any description is not an offence, and does not prohibit you from having a certificate.

How you behave after having a drink and under the influance of alcohol, may do.

Likewise it would take a trickcyclist to say he was mentally unstable and unfit to possess a firearm.

I went to the local dog warden last spring,when my sheep were been run at knight by a dog,he said,go to the guards,i went to them,they said shoot the dog.This was on the third day of me,taking sheep out of hedges and fences! I shot the dog that knight,i didnt bat an eyelid over it!

I went to the local dog warden last spring,when my sheep were been run at knight by a dog,he said,go to the guards,i went to them,they said shoot the dog.This was on the third day of me,taking sheep out of hedges and fences! I shot the dog that knight,i didnt bat an eyelid over it!

Yep, I have had to shoot dogs over the years, but all of mine have been clear cut.. no owners present and dogs attacking lambs. There is no issue with this but if the owner was there then the dog may get a few seconds of grace to be called off.

Similar to my last dog which was a staff, and other dogs that were off leads would come up to it and start having a go. There have been several occasions were the boot has been stuck in, or the other dog has been whacked with a stick because the owners showed no intention of controling their dog, and we all know what would happen if my staff was un leashed to have a fair defence of itself.

Some dog owners and they are in the minority just dont get it.

• Like 1

Yep, I have had to shoot dogs over the years, but all of mine have been clear cut.. no owners present and dogs attacking lambs. There is no issue with this but if the owner was there then the dog may get a few seconds of grace to be called off.

Similar to my last dog which was a staff, and other dogs that were off leads would come up to it and start having a go. There have been several occasions were the boot has been stuck in, or the other dog has been whacked with a stick because the owners showed no intention of controling their dog, and we all know what would happen if my staff was un leashed to have a fair defence of itself.

Some dog owners and they are in the minority just dont get it.

Normally lap dog owners are the problem,working dog owners can keep dogs under control,Not as a fashion accessory!

Animals Act 1971

Section 9

Killing of or injury to dogs worrying livestock.E+W

(1)In any civil proceedings against a person (in this section referred to as the defendant) for killing or causing injury to a dog it shall be a defence to prove—

(a)that the defendant acted for the protection of any livestock and was a person entitled to act for the protection of that livestock; and

(b)that within forty-eight hours of the killing or injury notice thereof was given by the defendant to the officer in charge of a police station.

(2)For the purposes of this section a person is entitled to act for the protection of any livestock if, and only if—

(a)the livestock or the land on which it is belongs to him or to any person under whose express or implied authority he is acting; and

(b)the circumstances are not such that liability for killing or causing injury to the livestock would be excluded by section 5(4) of this Act.

(3)Subject to subsection (4) of this section, a person killing or causing injury to a dog shall be deemed for the purposes of this section to act for the protection of any livestock if, and only if, either—

(a)the dog is worrying or is about to worry the livestock and there are no other reasonable means of ending or preventing the worrying; or

(b)the dog has been worrying livestock, has not left the vicinity and is not under the control of any person and there are no practicable means of ascertaining to whom it belongs.

(4)For the purposes of this section the condition stated in either of the paragraphs of the preceding subsection shall be deemed to have been satisfied if the defendant believed that it was satisfied and had reasonable ground for that belief.

(5)For the purposes of this section—

(a)an animal belongs to any person if he owns it or has it in his possession; and

(b)land belongs to any person if he is the occupier thereof.

we live in a remote area of herts with only 6 or 7 houses everyone knows everyone.we have a saluki x bedlington 13 years and a , puppy bedlington who wandered into a neighbours farm yard chased his chickens and got shot at close range with no warning.do you think this is acceptable behaviour

Was your dog out of your control and worrying your neighbour's livestock?

When I applied for my FAC's, on the application where it asked reason for wanting firearm I put, among other reasons, "protection of livestock".

I've had to shoot dogs in the past, don't like doing it but I've also seen firsthand what they can do. Seen Dad stich back together a ewes skin all around the jaw then feed her through a tube for months. Went to the owner, "My dog wouldn't do that", well, your f*****g dog did f*****g do it.

I've pulled hoggets out of streams because of a terrier and collie out together. Terrier owner "My dog wouldn't do that", more bollocks as I'd caught him and was thick enough not to kill him then and there. Collie owner had his put down, a man much looked down upon in this community yet he was the only one who did.

Have had other terriers worry the ewes, again owners "My dog wouldn't do that" until they were physically chased back down the road to their door. Then they looked to re-home them, when we enquired at the vets he said a farmer had took them :censored: and the owners never mentioned worrying livestock.

Have seen 80+ dead, in bog holes, in lakes, shredded on the bog, and injured sheep because of two dogs loose from a Friday to a Tuesday.

Know of a hound that was dumped, and killed multiple sheep over a number of weeks. Local Garda's sheep were some of the victims.

Signs? Not worth a f**k. People loose the ability to read plain uncomplicated english when what's in front of them don't suit them. The amount of people I've had to give a bollocking to about bringing dogs on our land is unreal. No respect for anyone or anything...... My dog wouldn't do that.... Well, shite cos my dog is capable of it and so is any other.

So, would I shoot a dog? You bet ya. Do I like shooting dogs? No, I'd prefer shoot the f*****g owner.

Edited by JohnGalway
  • Like 1

Amen JG - Reality check at last. Quoting chapter and verse is one thing after the event but in the heat of the moment I wouldn't think twice either. As for the bloke who said he'd burn a mans house down a couple of pages back I think the c**t should be banned from the site for even implying it.