Shooting dogs worrying sheep

i had a lot of trouble with dogs killin my sheep this year so i went round all the houses around my land and said if i see any dogs loose in my fields i would shoot it. after that as if by magic i didnt loose any more. it wasnt as if they were small either they were big rams that i lost.

Fairplay i'd think you were a cock, not as much a cock as the cock who was not controlling their dog, but still a cock. :whistling:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My neighbours dogs have been aggressive towards my sheep on several occasions, and I have caught the neighbour encouraging the dogs onto my land - ongoing neighbourhood dispute over a right of way. I

I would have no problem with a farmer shooting my dog.If it attacked his stock.At the end off the day.Its down to me to make sure its stock broken before its on the field.

To Dogmagic once more...   Ignoring your insults ("pricks such as yourself"), you clearly stated that if someone shot your dogs you think reasonable retaliation would be to burn down their house kil

I've read this thread with great interest; because back in the very early 70's a "gamekeeper" shot one of my dogs. There was no stock involved, he shot it because "it was on his land" ! Not running wild, but with me, my brother and another dog ! Now, apart from getting the hiding of his life; he was charged with, and found guilty of, unlawfully killing a dog ! He lost his job, FAC,SGC, and had a hefty fine; as well as having to look over his shoulder for the rest of his life ! Remember, this was when gun laws were far more relaxed than they are today ! So, although I support shooting a PROVEN stock worrier; any farmer or keeper who fires a gun at a dog these days, had better have a good lawyer !

Cheers.

spot on :thumbs: , i train all my lurchers with stock from 10 weeks old, and still take them to see stock every other day. And if that happened above to my dogs today. The person that killed my dog or dogs, would have hell of a prob trying to do is job working with permanent brocken hands.Not bravado - fact :yes:

P1010106-1.jpg

the real question is would you enter it in your game diary?

i.e. rough shooting , 2 pigeons a rabbit a cock pheasant and a collie greyhound lurcher

I've read this thread with great interest; because back in the very early 70's a "gamekeeper" shot one of my dogs. There was no stock involved, he shot it because "it was on his land" ! Not running wild, but with me, my brother and another dog ! Now, apart from getting the hiding of his life; he was charged with, and found guilty of, unlawfully killing a dog ! He lost his job, FAC,SGC, and had a hefty fine; as well as having to look over his shoulder for the rest of his life ! Remember, this was when gun laws were far more relaxed than they are today ! So, although I support shooting a PROVEN stock worrier; any farmer or keeper who fires a gun at a dog these days, had better have a good lawyer !

Cheers.

spot on :thumbs: , i train all my lurchers with stock from 10 weeks old, and still take them to see stock every other day. And if that happened above to my dogs today. The person that killed my dog or dogs, would have hell of a prob trying to do is job working with permanent brocken hands.Not bravado - fact :yes:

P1010106-1.jpg

The issue is not with dogs that are under control but dogs that are running amock among livestock when it is clear for all to see that the owner is not in full control of his dog as has previously been mentioned were not simply talking about someone passing through with thier dog off the lead and under close control.

But if someone was out and one of thier dogs broke away and started off after livestock if they called it and it didnt make any difference then it could be shot as it is seen as being out of close control...and no I would not wait until it had actually attacked the livestock because by then the dammage has been done.

People who have thier dog livestock trained like yourself have no worries....

Always a sore subject this 1 but the fact of the matter is if a dog is out of control amongst any livestock running amok then something has to be done. Lets not pretend that anyone who has to shoot a problem dog enjoys it.... :thumbdown: its a terrible thing to have too do but sometimes a must.

I cant understand all the "if you shot my dog you better watch out" nonsense.......if your dog was out of control and causing a problem then it is 'your' fault not the dogs and you should be prepared to face the consiquencies. If i got a 'hiding' for looking after my livestock and doing my job 'properly' then i'm afraid it wouldn't be me watching my back every where i went.

It's been an interesting thread for an Australian reader. Here there's no debate. If the dog is in a paddock it's got a target on it. Dogs get shot all the time. The law is very much on the landholder's side. All dogs have to be microchipped and registered with the local council. No one can wander about in someone's paddock with or without a dog but certainly a dog in a paddock is on borrowed time. When we hunt we let the surrounding landholders know our plans and that our dogs are stockproof and wearing tracking gear. We get permission to follow them across a boundary and because of that none end up in anyone's sights. It's up to us to have stockproof dogs and be able to get them all back on the truck. Stock chasing dogs tend not to be hunting dogs. They are usually town dogs left off the chain at night because 'they never go anywhere...'. There are also feral dogs here and dingoes as well.

I love dogs but I have shot wild dogs and trapped them too.

Cheers.

Let's be quite clear here .... I'd shoot my own dog if it was a stock worrier !!! What happened with me back then was an over "enthusiastic" keeper ! He was wrong and paid the price; but that didn't bring back my dog !! These days, things have changed drasticaly, because of laws like the hunam rights act, the right to roam act, etc. It's not like the old days when landowners could have you deported to Australia for taking a rabbit !! Fire arms laws are far more Draconian than they were only a few years ago ! If a keeper/farmer threatens to shoot your dog, and you phone 999 and say he's threatening to shoot YOU !!! What do you think will happen ??? Helicopters and Armed Responce Units will happen, and the man with the gun will be in serious shit !! So, as I said, anyone thinking of shooting a dog these days, had better have a very good lawyer !!

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

i've read through this post,the views,the advice and the arguments and heres my input.one of the farmers that i shoot for did shoot two dogs last year,the dogs killed a ewe and then went after a lamb by this time one dog was shot and the other was being sighted in.as soon as this was done the police were called,one advantage was the farmer had a witness at the time of the attack.the owner of the dog was charged by the police.later that night i received a phone call from a member of sct who were surveying wildlife at the farm, that they were approached by 3 males looking for the farmer who shot their dogs.the police were called and the three were cautioned and told not to come near again.no action was taken with the farmer who has the right to protect his animals.another point is the farmer concerned looks after and cares for his animals,it may be his livliehood and cash income but a few quid for a mauled sheep would be an insult.my dog a cocker is great with livestock but when the ewes are heavy and when lambs are newborn he does not go in their fields,it is all to easy for lambs to be trampled and pregnant ewes to be injured.

atb sneeky

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

we live in a remote area of herts with only 6 or 7 houses everyone knows everyone.we have a saluki x bedlington 13 years and a , puppy bedlington who wandered into a neighbours farm yard chased his chickens and got shot at close range with no warning.do you think this is acceptable behaviour