Shooting Rats with a .22LR

Ok, Decision is definite now.

Asking land owner if i can use a .22lr there. if yes - get Ruger 10/22. If no - Weihrauch HW100

Regardless of this i am still getting my FAC.

should read 'Regardless of this i am still getting applying for my FAC.'

Theres a big difference..thumbs.gif but best of luck.........

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Legally you're fine, practically maybe less so.   .22lr is a bouncy little bugger so ricochets can be an issue, even on soft ground if the angle is shallow.   CB longs can be ok but won't cycle a

Posted Images

Asking land owner if i can use a .22lr there. if yes - get Ruger 10/22. If no - Weihrauch HW100

As only about 2% of applicants get rejected I'm sure he will get one. Theres nothing difficult or special about it, as long as he can show good reason and is not a prohibited person the police are obliged to issue one.

I think Stubby is reffering to the little chap in the middle of the picture when he mentions .22 shot shells.

post-13773-0-61917300-1301583498_thumb.jpg

Rimfires are great for ratting with a sound backdrop but will limit where you can shoot both with safety and regard to damaging property .In some ways ,unless you are going for a lot of longer range shots a decent air rifle is more versatile . In fact at very short ranges an old springer with decent open sights is a very handy bit of kit.

Many moons ago a rather embarrassed keeper recounted a tale to me of the day he was asked to cull feral pigeons from a big barn.Nobody noticed the holes in the roof until it rained.

I sometimes use .22 shorts though they have to be fed by hand through my BRNO for ferals and rats but even they are not to be underestimated .I've more than once dropped surprised farmyard foxes with them .

Alright captain specific,

Have you looked at a .410 moderated shotgun? good luck on the FAC application, what will you put down as your reason for owning one?

I'm going to put down Vermin control, I do alot of that but i've only done pigeon with my shotgun / air rifle and rats / rabbits with my air rifle.

A .22 would be great for the rabbits and i can use those short .22lr for the rats

Sending my form away soon :thumbs:

Well James all I can say is good luck, I would not mention to your FEO wanting a rimfire for rats indoors as you may well open up a can of worms from his/her questioning.

Me personally? I would not want to shoot a .22 rimfire indoors unless it was on a range, very bouncy round - law of averages and a good dollop of Murphies law means one of them coming back and hitting you, not good at all and could well be fatal if it hit you in the right/wrong place :thumbdown:,

with an attitude like that, Im sure your get lots of members offering advice next time you ask for it....NOT

with an attitude like that, Im sure your get lots of members offering advice next time you ask for it....NOT

Hah stubby dont take it too seriously i was obviously joking, :tongue2:

And i definately wouldn't shoot a .22lr indoors thats just asking for trouble, only outside because i have an area where there is a safe backstop.

James, you're not listening.

You will NOT get an FAC for a live firing rifle issued, with the primary "reason to hold" as rats. I've never heard of anyone ever having it, and for fairly good reason.

Yes, it's perfectly legal to shoot them, but you will almost certainly not get an FAC issued with rats as the good reason (unless you can show that the rats are in a place where you can shoot them with a safe backstop. A building, wall or such is not considered a safe backstop. A good earth bank might be, but if it is just flat ground behind the rat then the risk of ricochet is too high so it cannot be counted as a safe backstop.

How can you begin to think that .22LR costs the same as an air rifle to shoot? OK, if you shoot very small quanitities then the price differential between LR cartridges and air rifle pellets isn't going to make up for the higher cost of a good air rifle, but with LR rounds costing around five times the price per shot, it's not long before you've made up the difference.

If the farm has land with rabbits on, then you could probably get the FAC issued for that, but I would not mention the shooting of rats to your FEO, he's likely to run a mile!

Stubby, apologies, I've just read your post again and I misunderstood it the first time.

Right, so you have access to rabbits, so yes you should get the FAC issued as long as your land is safe. From your OP it sounded like you were wanting it purely to shoot rats, which is pretty much a no-no.

The "short .22lr" that you are talking about ar .22CB longs, NOT .22LR.

Learn your calibres a bit more, it will make the FEO feel a bit better. The CB runs at about 30 ft.lb, whereas the .22LR in subsonic guise runs at almost 100 ft.lb.

The shot shells are pretty useless in a rifle. Fine in a smooth bored pistol, but you need those specially issued on sec.5 approval.

You will NOT get an FAC for a live firing rifle issued, with the primary "reason to hold" as rats. I've never heard of anyone ever having it, and for fairly good reason.

Yes, it's perfectly legal to shoot them, but you will almost certainly not get an FAC issued with rats as the good reason (unless you can show that the rats are in a place where you can shoot them with a safe backstop. A building, wall or such is not considered a safe backstop. A good earth bank might be, but if it is just flat ground behind the rat then the risk of ricochet is too high so it cannot be counted as a safe backstop.

How can you begin to think that .22LR costs the same as an air rifle to shoot? OK, if you shoot very small quanitities then the price differential between LR cartridges and air rifle pellets isn't going to make up for the higher cost of a good air rifle, but with LR rounds costing around five times the price per shot, it's not long before you've made up the difference.

If the farm has land with rabbits on, then you could probably get the FAC issued for that, but I would not mention the shooting of rats to your FEO, he's likely to run a mile!

Stubby, apologies, I've just read your post again and I misunderstood it the first time.

I've been told different from someone i trust, but i will ring up my firearms department and ask them about it.

I've been told different from someone i trust, but i will ring up my firearms department and ask them about it.

How can you say im not listening? I'm reading every post from start to finish because i do appreciate everyones advice, but its hard to concentrate when about 12 people are telling me different things. my forms are going to get filled in tomorrow and we will see how it goes. I'll post what happens in this thread.