so how does the envis compare to the longbow, lets say the xd4 .

there has been alot of talk about the envis but no mention of price (NEW) or after sales repair , wlth the archer you know what you are paying and you know it can be repaired.

On our last NV meet we done a side by side with

D480 gen3 (Pinnacle Omni VI )

Kite gen 3

Longbow gen 3

D760 gen3 (MX-10160 )

Envis (MX-10160) gen 3

PVS-14 gen3 (Pinnacle MX-11769 )

Archer gen3

out come on Dedicated Night Vision

(1) D480

(2) Kite

(3) D760

Most expensive depending on tube spec

(1) D480 & Kite around £5000

(2) D760 & Kite around £3000

out come on Add-ons

(1) PVS-14

(2) Envis

(3) Longbow

(4) Archer

Most expensive

(1)Longbow around £5300

(2)PVS-14 & Archer around £2500

(3) Envis & Archer around £1600

How many Envis or PVS units have gone down, well in all the time i have owned NV i know of 2 that actually went down, one through the fault of the owners and the other as the seller told the buyer it was a weapon mountable unit for a .243 and it wasn't it was a viewer and that would be ok up to a .223 or a low home loaded 22.50 .

I repair NV quite often and last year the Archer was the most common one.

i noticed you say you repair quite a few archers , i thought they had lifetime warranty ? or is that just for the original purchaser (i presume)

must admit its a lot of money if you cant go back to the firm who supplied it

i noticed you say you repair quite a few archers , i thought they had lifetime warranty ? or is that just for the original purchaser (i presume)

must admit its a lot of money if you cant go back to the firm who supplied it

Never heard of a lifetime warranty on night vision, an intensifier tube that can be missed used by the owner :whistling:

Its easy to say lifetime warranty but to many clauses to get out of it, there isn't a lot to a NV unit so all that can go wrong is Tube / Switch gear / Circuit board (some units have) / dry soldering / and if on a dedicated scope parallax issues

Geoff leave them to it bud, you know the score thats why we buy the best :thumbs:

Your right Andy, but just don't like seeing people making the same mistakes as i did many years ago, NV cost a lot of money and its nice to buy the once and get it right, nothing worse than spending thousands of pounds and finding you could of done a lot better with your hard earned cash :thumbs:

thanks for the input pestcontrol. so is the d480 better than the longbow from julian as the price is about the same . i probably wrong here but haven,t they both got the same tube,s in them ( nd4 - xr5 ).i allready use the archer b grade and i got no complain,s about it , but im on the road for a dedicated one and was thinking of the longbow with the xd4 tube in it . thanks again . :thumbs:

thats why we chat on sites like this so to help others ,camo304 :thumbdown:

thanks for the input pestcontrol. so is the d480 better than the longbow from julian as the price is about the same . i probably wrong here but haven,t they both got the same tube,s in them ( nd4 - xr5 ).i allready use the archer b grade and i got no complain,s about it , but im on the road for a dedicated one and was thinking of the longbow with the xd4 tube in it . thanks again . :thumbs:

That's what i like about this site,you get the kind of info that only comes with experience.No bull,where else would you get any sort of comparison without the hard sell !!!I know nothing about nv but have been looking for info for a while.Gained more Knowledge on this site then anywhere else.Thankyou for your honesty.I'm after an add on so any advise is gladly received,cheers debur. :thumbs: :thumbs:

The tube you are mentioning xr5 is good but a few people have had problems with it, slight bit of light and it dulls down so much you can't see your target, as for the xd4 i can't comment as i've had no 1st hand experience with but have heard it good.

The main reason the Longbow comes to light is that most are sold to gamekeepers which are bought by the estate and they are trying to buy the best and don't know that much about NV so the price comes into it, as the Longbow is one of the most expensive they feel it must be the best, i have around a dozen keepers that i have shown the Envis and PVS-14 also the D480 to and all of them can't believe how much better these units are and at half the price.

The easiest way is if i do a score out of ten but you must remember that an add-on and dedicated are completely different to each other.

D480 gen3 (Pinnacle Omni VI ) 10 out 10 (one of the best dedicated scope out there if you can find one for sale)

Kite gen 3 this unit was a bit special as it was built by the owner most kites are not that good as they suffer for bad parallax issues and were made to shoot man size target 8.5 out 10

Longbow gen 3 7 out 10

D760 gen3 (MX-10160 ) 8 out 10 (one of the best dedicated scope out there if you can find one for sale)

Envis (MX-10160) gen 3 9 out 10 (one of the best add-ons out there if you can find one for sale)

PVS-14 gen3 (Pinnacle MX-11769 ) 10out 10 (one of the best add-ons out there if you can find one for sale)

Archer gen3 5 out 10 (put a 10160 tube in it and its as good as anything else out there)

At the end of the day all these units will do the job and its down to how fussy you wish to be and YES i am fussy ;) best thing to do is get out and try the units side by side as this is the only way to tell, try to organise an NV meet near you or like myself when spending this sort of money travel as far as needed, i would rather waste £100 in fuel than a thousand pound + on something i find i'm not happy with.

The tube you are mentioning xr5 is good but a few people have had problems with it, slight bit of light and it dulls down so much you can't see your target, as for the xd4 i can't comment as i've had no 1st hand experience with but have heard it good.

The main reason the Longbow comes to light is that most are sold to gamekeepers which are bought by the estate and they are trying to buy the best and don't know that much about NV so the price comes into it, as the Longbow is one of the most expensive they feel it must be the best, i have around a dozen keepers that i have shown the Envis and PVS-14 also the D480 to and all of them can't believe how much better these units are and at half the price.

The easiest way is if i do a score out of ten but you must remember that an add-on and dedicated are completely different to each other.

D480 gen3 (Pinnacle Omni VI ) 10 out 10 (one of the best dedicated scope out there if you can find one for sale)

Kite gen 3 this unit was a bit special as it was built by the owner most kites are not that good as they suffer for bad parallax issues and were made to shoot man size target 8.5 out 10

Longbow gen 3 7 out 10

D760 gen3 (MX-10160 ) 8 out 10 (one of the best dedicated scope out there if you can find one for sale)

Envis (MX-10160) gen 3 9 out 10 (one of the best add-ons out there if you can find one for sale)

PVS-14 gen3 (Pinnacle MX-11769 ) 10out 10 (one of the best add-ons out there if you can find one for sale)

Archer gen3 5 out 10 (put a 10160 tube in it and its as good as anything else out there)

At the end of the day all these units will do the job and its down to how fussy you wish to be and YES i am fussy ;) best thing to do is get out and try the units side by side as this is the only way to tell, try to organise an NV meet near you or like myself when spending this sort of money travel as far as needed, i would rather waste £100 in fuel than a thousand pound + on something i find i'm not happy with.

thaks again pestcontrol,ill be doing same more home work on this . :thumbs:

matter of intrest what one of the dedicated scopes have the best zoom ?

Maximum on most dedicated scopes is x6 but the Kite i viewed was x6.8 , i did hear of a doubler coming out for the D760 to make it into a x10 but never seen one.

I have played about with the yukon doubler which i had a box of, you can just keep screwing these together which i done on a gen2+ spotter, the problem is the more glass you put in front of the Image Intensifiers the more IR light you need, its the same with an add-on, when you look through a monocular you get a great image but as soon as you put the unit behind a day scope you image drops until you add a IR laser or LED.