IM sure I have heard a lot of people using the nighteater scopes, something about the eye bell that works well with getting the whole set up focused properly, there will be more informed members here to help you out, im sure.

Please can you tell me what scope you find the best to use with your archer add on.

Shootingcharley

Most scopes with side parallax are good try to get one with NO more than 6-24x56 the lower the better like a 4-16x56,also some fixed scope are good but best to still have side parallax.

I did put a post up with a list of scopes that are good with add-ons.

Edited by pestcontrol121
  • 4 weeks later...

I have just bought an archer and Julian at starlight said he had just set one up on a bushnell 6500 elite and it was very good, so this is what i have bought and sent to him to set up.

Anyone know where to buy some rails to move the scope forward, its for a .243 steyr classic.

I have just bought an archer and Julian at starlight said he had just set one up on a bushnell 6500 elite and it was very good, so this is what i have bought and sent to him to set up.

Anyone know where to buy some rails to move the scope forward, its for a .243 steyr classic.

Wait until you try and mount it before you buy rails, you may find it's comfortable enough with just the scope and mount's set as far forward as possible but obviously rails do give you that bit extra.

Hi I have used an Archer with great sucess for many years and have been through a number of scopes to try to find the best. The one that stands out is a Leupold VX111 4.5-14 it allows good infrared transmission and works well. The issue I have had with this scope is under normal lamping conditions I find that 14 times is not enough mag for me so I have had to look for another option, remebering that you need a low down figure to start with because the Archer mulitipies it by two I have purchased a Bushnell Elite 6500 which gives me 4-30 good for the Archer low down and also high for standard long range shooting, I would say this is as good as the Leupold on the Archer and could recommend this scope.

I also have another coller for the archer and usually put a cheap air rifle type scope on to use as a hand held spotter, recently I have linked it to a £60 Niko Sterling mount master air rifle scope and this works well clearly spotting Foxes out to 400 yards plus.

The Archer is like an expensive camera at first you think its just ok but when you know how to use and handle one its incredible. I can honestly say that if mine broke today I would be on the phone to Starlight and would max the credit card out on a new one with overnight delivery !!! PS D grade is all you need. Recently set it up on my 17HMR one evening on 100-120 yard rabbits shot 108, with no Archer and a lamp I guess 40 would have been tops.

Good Hunting......................

Hi I have used an Archer with great sucess for many years and have been through a number of scopes to try to find the best. The one that stands out is a Leupold VX111 4.5-14 it allows good infrared transmission and works well. The issue I have had with this scope is under normal lamping conditions I find that 14 times is not enough mag for me so I have had to look for another option, remebering that you need a low down figure to start with because the Archer mulitipies it by two I have purchased a Bushnell Elite 6500 which gives me 4-30 good for the Archer low down and also high for standard long range shooting, I would say this is as good as the Leupold on the Archer and could recommend this scope.

I also have another coller for the archer and usually put a cheap air rifle type scope on to use as a hand held spotter, recently I have linked it to a £60 Niko Sterling mount master air rifle scope and this works well clearly spotting Foxes out to 400 yards plus.

The Archer is like an expensive camera at first you think its just ok but when you know how to use and handle one its incredible. I can honestly say that if mine broke today I would be on the phone to Starlight and would max the credit card out on a new one with overnight delivery !!! PS D grade is all you need. Recently set it up on my 17HMR one evening on 100-120 yard rabbits shot 108, with no Archer and a lamp I guess 40 would have been tops.

Good Hunting......................

Good write up and glad your happy with your set up, what does get me is why people pay £1650 to £2500 for an Archer add-on :wallbash: when you can buy a Envis gen3 or a PVS-14 add-on for the same money which is far superior to the Archer.

Also the Envis and PVS-14 will hold their price if you decide to sell, i have seen the Archer second hand go for around £750 which is a big loss.

Good write up and glad your happy with your set up, what does get me is why people pay £1650 to £2500 for an Archer add-on :wallbash: when you can buy a Envis gen3 or a PVS-14 add-on for the same money which is far superior to the Archer.

Also the Envis and PVS-14 will hold their price if you decide to sell, i have seen the Archer second hand go for around £750 which is a big loss.

Do you punt NV kit? the tone of your post would suggest this. Where do you send a pvs14 when it goes tits up? it is illegal to export one from the US so to post it back for repair and expect it to turn up by royal mail upon repair?

name='puntabrava' timestamp='1303414520' post='2024416']

Do you punt NV kit? the tone of your post would suggest this. Where do you send a pvs14 when it goes tits up? it is illegal to export one from the US so to post it back for repair and expect it to turn up by royal mail upon repair?

No mate i don't punt it but do know a fair bit about it and build a fair few units so know whats ok and whats great :boogie: also can get hold of most of the above units.

I would of thought starlight would of told you where to purchase a weaver or dovertail rail from for your .243 steyr classic after spending over £1500 with them :hmm:

Edited by pestcontrol121

No mate i don't punt it but do know a fair bit about it and build a fair few units so know whats ok and whats great :boogie: also can get hold of most of the above units.

I wound of thought starlight would of told you where to purchase a weaver or dovertail rail from for your .243 steyr classic after spending over £1500 with them :hmm:

Pardon? anyways, spoke to Julian yesterday at Starlight after i had visited my dealers to try and sort a scope height issue to no avail, Julian had some raised mounts and has said he will post them, i will tell you when they turn up, i like to deal with people who dont take the cash and run, in my opinion he and Starlight seem a good company to try and do business with, he returns calls, delivers when he states the date and appears to produce a quality product that is not lacking back up.

I would of thought starlight would of told you where to purchase a weaver or dovertail rail from for your .243 steyr classic after spending over £1500 with them :hmm:

Pardon? anyways, spoke to Julian yesterday at Starlight after i had visited my dealers to try and sort a scope height issue to no avail, Julian had some raised mounts and has said he will post them, i will tell you when they turn up, i like to deal with people who dont take the cash and run, in my opinion he and Starlight seem a good company to try and do business with, he returns calls, delivers when he states the date and appears to produce a quality product that is not lacking back up.

There you go i have sorted my spelling mistake out which was nice and easy ,thank you for pointing it out to me, we are only human after all and entitled to make mistakes, thank god my mistake didn't cost me thousands of pounds :feck:

Edited by pestcontrol121

archer all the way , cant fault the aftersales service and a lifetime warranty , a friend send his laser back on thursday and recieved a new one today (saturday) , when he first got his gen3 it had a slight problem , sent it back and they sent a new one with a better rating with no spots at all.

you just cant fault a service like that

do you get a lifetime warranty with the envis ? i doubt it seeings of it's 'iffy' way of coming into the country anyway lol

so how does the envis compare to the longbow, lets say the xd4 .

there has been alot of talk about the envis but no mention of price (NEW) or after sales repair , wlth the archer you know what you are paying and you know it can be repaired.

dont think anyone is calling them shite , apparantly some of the best gear out there for the money :thumbs:

like i said archer gets the thumbs up as if the unit breaks it doesnt cost anything to be repaired. im totally swung on nv now and willing to try any others that i know i would get the unit back within a week if the need arises