.222 .223 or .22 250

.223 All the way for me and i would advice the same, as its accurate out to 300yds, cheap as chips and knocks them foxes dead. :yes:

I use factory ammo and get great results. ;)

Frank.

Edited by Frank
Fastest bullet you can get? :laugh: try the .17 rem, 204 ruger, 22-250, and the 220 swift, or 243 etc, etc, they are ALL faster. My favourite is the .204 ruger, not much beats 4200 feet per second.

Can't comment much about using it on fox, I don't shoot 'em here. But I shoot a lot of groundhogs in the summer, sometimes out to 400+ yards. Most shots are in the 200 - 300 yard range, but my longest last summer was a laser-ranged 425. My money's on the .223, I'm shooting it from a Savage 12BVSS.

Not a lot of experience with the .222, but the .22-250 is notorious for being real particular about the ammunition you feed it. Find the right stuff, and it'll drive tacks at 350 yards. The wrong stuff, and it'll break your heart. The .223, in contrast, seems to digest just about anything you feed it. I generally use cheap American Eagle factory for all but the most critical shots, but when I switch to the more expensive Federal Premium NBTs it fires to the same point of aim.

That 220 Swift is/was an impressive round. It used to burn out barrels pretty fast, don't know if better steel has solved that problem. It definitely is one of the loudest rounds I've ever fired. Pisses people off three farms over sometimes. Used to joke that it was loud enough to sour milk in the next county.

The .204 Ruger gets rave reviews, several of my hunting buddies use it and are impressed with its performance. It's more expensive to shoot than the .223, and when it has the history of performance behind the .223 I might give it a try. .243 is popular here as an all-around caliber, used for anything from varmints to white-tail deer. Also known here as a kid's gun or woman's gun for its soft recoil, but I can live with that characterization to get its performance.

By the way, Frank... That's some good shooting.

Edited by bshadle

The .223, in contrast, seems to digest just about anything you feed it. I generally use cheap American Eagle factory with that characterization to get its performance.

By the way, Frank... That's some good shooting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks bshdle. :)

American Eagle, is exactly what i use. :yes:

Dead cheap and accurate and reliable. ;)

Frank.

Edited by Frank

They will all do the job, but the faster, lighter bullets drop less, and your range estimation doesn,t have to be as accurate, thats why i prefer the .204 as a lamping round, and its no more expensive to load than a .223. I,ve taken fox at 300 yards with it, and cut them in two.

P1010010.jpg

P1010008.jpg

S4300282.jpg

S4300288.jpg

S4300103.jpg

had a 17rem before my 223, ammo costs and how they so fussy with cleaning put me off. couldnt be happier with my 223, really dose the job good. not ammo fussy and cheap to feed, have got 1" groups and less at 250yds when i shoot it right. you would be happy with a 223 for a fox round :yes::yes: